Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

Jack

That was a well keep secret about you going to TVNAM!!

hope your passports in date traveling that far south of the border!

yo've got a safe passage through Cumbria,it has been decreed!

hope you can make it

Ray

Edited by long island jack

I like that 13th street layout. Looks like the sector plate section can be unbolted from the main section and transported separately?

Smile,

Stein

Yes Stein Both the sector plate end, and the end with the sidings are made to be unbolted and removed - storage and transpor becomes easier. More re-laying of road today. Ray, mainly I didn't want to mention it because real life might have interfered - but am hoping that all will now go as planned - 2 weekends away on the trot as Perth is the following week!

Edited by shortliner

Hi Jordan,

That raises the stakes now that His Eminence is coming down from his highland erie! We'd better make sure that all rivets counted and all spikes the correct distance apart!!

Seriously though, it will be good to meet up with Jack again - he is such an enthusiast.

Dave

The new layout looks very interesting Jack, look forward to seeing more. Nice to see that old blue Black & Decker workmate being used by the old master himself. Reminds me, I have one exactly the same, which hopefully, will be seeing some action fairly soon. regards, Mal

Edited by Alcanman

The new layout looks very interesting Jack, look forward to seeing more. Nice to see that old blue Black & Decker workmate being used by the old master himself. Reminds me, I have one exactly the same, which hopefully, will be seeing some action fairly soon. regards, Mal

Yes, Mal - both originals, and (mainly) in full working order!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Hi. I have been following this topic for some time in the hope of picking up some tips for a new layout I am going to build, On3 D&RGW, in my loft. Woodwork almost finished along with a new loft ladder. Also going to add a ring main. Has anyone used any of the layouts here for On3 or can anyone suggest, perhaps places I could find some?

James.

2012-04-10_22-10-44_449.jpg

This is how I have planned my new layout to look?

I have designed it to include my current layout along the left side.

The room is 6.5 x 4.5 meters.

The possibility to have a decent sized harbour is really exciting!

I have planned for the two "underground" tracks to go to a common return loop under the harbour.

All comments and pointers welcome!

• Like 2

post-6688-0-05445800-1333994178.jpg
I think I'm missing something in the reasoning for the trackplan. Why does the spur cross over the running line? I can understand the the use of the crossing of the two spurs to fit them in a smaller space, but the two spurs could have switches off the same line. It seems to be making it more complicated than necassary, although more fun to operate, obviously

7065961073_15b89a6ce0.jpg

I think I'm missing something in the reasoning for the trackplan. Why does the spur cross over the running line? I can understand the the use of the crossing of the two spurs to fit them in a smaller space, but the two spurs could have switches off the same line. It seems to be making it more complicated than necassary, although more fun to operate, obviously

7065961073_15b89a6ce0.jpg

Tim - you answered your own question - operating a simple micro-ish layout for a couple of days at an exhibition can drive you daft if the trackplan is too simple - I did it that way to just add a little more complication, and to let me take what would be the headshunt on the track wth the LH turnout in your diagram, as a siding into a building - it doesn't cross the running line - the through track is the one that spur turns off, so it crosses a siding spur(not very clear in the photos - that track has a short extension onto the board off the main layout - all will become more clear as more is done and buildings appear - still messing with the road!

Because the track layout isn't really clear on that board - it looks like this

Jack

post-6688-0-69097700-1334148788.jpg

Edited by shortliner

Hi. I have been following this topic for some time in the hope of picking up some tips for a new layout I am going to build, On3 D&RGW, in my loft. Woodwork almost finished along with a new loft ladder. Also going to add a ring main. Has anyone used any of the layouts here for On3 or can anyone suggest, perhaps places I could find some?

James.

In lieu of any On3 diagrams appearing on here you might try the "Railroad Line Forum" in the 'States. I don't have a link to hand but Google usually comes up with it. Come back here though, you hear!

Good luck, Pete.

In lieu of any On3 diagrams appearing on here you might try the "Railroad Line Forum" in the 'States. I don't have a link to hand

James.

http://members.shaw.ca/va3cp/frameset.htm

http://www.michaelluczak.com/On3.html

http://www.drgw-sd.com/

Smile,

Stein

Jack,

What thread was that really good urban layout in that you posted that had a short T shape and one of the lengths split down the middle with a scenic divide? I can't remember the name of it, sorry. Does my description help?

It belongs in this thread!!!

Cheers, Pete.

That does ring a bell but there have been a lot of names under the bridge......

The annoying thing is that we were discussing it on here in USA & Canadian Railroads, i.e. since the group was formed last year.......Can't find it.

Best, Pete.

Pete this is what you wanted http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49974-this-might-be-a-good-smallish-space-switching-layout/

Pike City Belt Line

post-6688-0-83037700-1334219263_thumb.jpg

and if anyone who has XTrkcad would like to play - here is the runable version

PCBL.xtc

note you can export and save the cars and locos and re-import them into other plans

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

That's the one, many thanks! What I really like about it is complexity of operation but not too much track and its adaptability (to local "in home" conditions), plus no extra linear length required for off-site "fiddleyard". Does that make sense?

Didn't you have an annotated edition (industries etc)?

Classic plan.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Firstly, build a large shed...

post-238-0-06190500-1334930040_thumb.jpg

then add dream pike to suit tastes.

This is my dream scheme, Southern Pacific Coast Line, mid 1970s so there's plenty of second generation power and some first gen still on the roster. Packing sheds still loading at Guadalupe, the Holly Sugar refinery is still active at Betteravia served by the venerable wooden beet rack unit trains, and Santa Maria supports plenty of produce sheds and general merchandise.

This is probably at the far limits of what one person could really manage, and to get the best out of it would easily take three two-man crews.

Well, we can all dream can't we?

• Like 2

Picked up on a French US Modelling Forum - the Florida Industrial RR - O Gauge, but could be converted to HO or N quite easily

This link should take you to the translated version ( please note that the translation is somewhat literal, and may not make a great deal of sense!) You will need to scroll up to the top of the page.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://teamtrack.xooit.com/t984-Reseau-modulaire.htm&usg=ALkJrhj-hMr1qcuDv_7wMZCpbc0l3vvs_g#p13749

Edited by shortliner

I have to tell you that "Downtown USA" didn't live up to my expectations and having pulled up the road for the third time - the track has been lifted and the boards have been delivered to the tip. I still like the trackplan, but it didn't "Do things" for me. I shall probably bring Fiddlestick Switch Job to TVNAM