Good manners

David Bigcheeseplant

A polite request is certainly not bad manners, of course. It's just that some of us would rather "hang around and hope" than confront someone who is probably busy and may have real things on his/her mind. Traincrew and signallers on preserved lines have exactly the same responsibilities as paid staff on the Big Railway.

I didn't say it's ill mannered to ask a question but in society now I think there are many people who think a polite question must be followed by a yes! :lol: I think asking at the right time is very important - this applies wether you're asking a driver on a heritage railway or an assistant in Tesco.

Very much my view Ian although I have asked occasionally about getting onto the footplate on a preserved/heritage etc railway.

I suspect you know when's appropriate to ask though!

I suspect you know when's appropriate to ask though!

And so do I James.

A long time ago I was going out on a day out to ######### and was taking a few photos of the loco when the driver walked up and asked me where I was off to so I told him #########, jump on the cab OzzyO that's where I'm taking the train to. So I had a nice cab ride to ######## and a few pints in the pub with him. Then a cab ride back home as well.

There's more to this story but I wont say any more about it on an open forum. My mates know what happened. Lets just say it was FUN.

OzzyO.

Archived