Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

All this talk of the new Dapol working semaphore signals really made me notice the quality of the signals on your layout, very nice indeed. They aren't working ones are they? If they are then :good:

Wish they were...dont have the skill or eyesight to build my own working semaphores. They're put together from brass tube, plasticard and Ekon ladders. I'd be interested in any suitable commercially produced working signals although I think they would be expensive and very delicate.

When I'm operating it's assumed that the up signal has failed. That's why you might have noticed the crew van on the bridge and a small gang from S+T working at the signal and in the relay boxes. All southbound trains therefore stop at the signal before being allowed to proceed...it's a way of slowing down the operating sequence.

However....both down signals (main and loop) should be working. IMO having them both permanently "off" looks wrong, although I never like seeing trains passing them at danger. :nono: So I suppose in their present "none working" state, they look ok 50% of the time.!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan,

Looking at that last set of photos you posted reminded me of something I meant to ask you. Is the viaduct a commercial product ? The Wills for example. Or did you scratchbuild it?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Alan,

Looking at that last set of photos you posted reminded me of something I meant to ask you. Is the viaduct a commercial product ? The Wills for example. Or did you scratchbuild it?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry it's taken a few days to get back to you.

The viaduct is scratchbuilt. It's based on Ais Gill, though I made things more difficult for myself by building it on a curve. Getting the embossed stone plasticard to line up under the arches was a nightmare. It also probably needs more weathering and a few more details adding to the stonework. I originally started this year by saying I planned to do very little to the layout.....A few weeks later I now have a long list of repairs and improvements I want to make.

At the moment I'm busy building the rake of Peco 16t coal wagons. Slight delay in completing them after I ran 18 of them on the layout. The train looked too short so I'm having to buy, and build, another six. The fiddle yard will take 24+loco so I might as well make full use of the space.

The Class 40 split headcode front ends arrived from TPM so I'm also working on 40 143 and hopefully she'll be running by next weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan. No probs with the delayed reply - I've been so busy painting the inside of the garage I've hardly looked on here! I can't wait to get to the start of the "railway" bit, so I'm envious that you have the opportunity to repair and run your locos!

I hope you'll be posting some pics of the revised class 40 and its train of 16t wagons. It should look impressive with 24 of them. I've got a large collection of tankers and open wagons and 10 to 15 in 00 looks good. Maybe you should enlarge your train to 30 (only joking!).

I agree about the curving problems with viaducts. I did consider such a structure for Kirkby Luneside, but sense has prevailed and the idea has been scrapped. I will stick to linear structures for the mo.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last few days planting trees and bushes and finishing the rake of 16t minerals.

post-13274-0-93109600-1333916833.jpg

Bushes are 2-3 short lengths of old GPO telephone wire twisted together.

post-13274-0-05459300-1333919565.jpg post-13274-0-45528300-1333919582.jpg

The larger trees are cuttings from Hebe bushes. I had a few left over from when the layout was built and thought the valley beneath the viaduct ,in particular, needed more foliage.

The trees are given a covering of rubberised horsehair which has been trimmed. To the left a bush has been planted and given a rough covering of Milliput to build up the trunk and hide the twisted wires. They will then be given the same covering as the trees. Everything is then painted Humbrol Dark Earth and the foliage added using Woodland Scenics (Foliage clusters) FC57 Light Green.

A pleasant way to spent a few hours....24 Peco kits built as a single batch

post-13274-0-09972800-1333918919.jpg post-13274-0-31329300-1333918053.jpg

post-13274-0-83230100-1333918081.jpg

24 wagons painted in a dozen shades of rusty/weathered bauxite.

...And finally a couple of shots of the finished train

post-13274-0-78241800-1333918166.jpg

post-13274-0-33033000-1333918190.jpg

Adding the bitumen TTB is an attempt to recreate a common feature in several S+C photos from the early 80s...a long uniform rake of MCVs with a single van or tank behind the loco or bringing up the rear.

Top job on the wagons, I wish I could do a rake that quick. Looks like you have done loads for them as well. Are they removable?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

The loads are permanent. The plasticard supports give the wagons extra strength because it's supprising how badly the sides can warp on some older 2nd hand ones I've bought and nothing beats the real thing, so the loads are a sprinkling of coal dust.

The long rake of wagons looks good behind a Class 40 and very typical of freight traffic in the early 80s....However, it's not a good idea to examine the wagons too closely! They're cheap to buy totally inaccurate - in particular the ends. I've worked out several ways of improving them but with over 50 to work on that's another job I'm happy to put off.

Indecision with 40 143.....

Bought 2 pairs of replacement split box nose ends from Taylor Precision Models. The moulding and detail are excellent and the fit perfect.

post-13274-0-23271800-1334100066.jpg

post-13274-0-88437000-1334100076.jpg post-13274-0-88639100-1334100085.jpg

Can't decide how to finish the boxes. The Taylor mouldings have a thin raised "lip" around the edge of the box which provides a good edge for painting, however the Class 40 boxes had quite deep frames around them. Painting a larger frame is almost impossible to do accurately so I tried adding a frame of 20thx10th micro strip.

post-13274-0-87396300-1334100605.jpg post-13274-0-07698400-1334100647.jpg

Painted box on the left. Micro strip on the right.

The added frame gives a neater finish...but... in N Gauge (I think) makes the boxes look too large. There's nothing smaller available in plasticard so maybe good quality paper might be an answer?

The marker lights can only be decals to give a perfect circle. I've looked through all my sheets (aquired over 30 years) and have, so far, failed to find any suitable small white dots!

Back to 1983 and an Easter weekend of enginering work.

post-13274-0-08079400-1334100110.jpg

post-13274-0-16384000-1334100134.jpg

post-13274-0-97510400-1334100155.jpg

40 192 doing the bulk of the work as usual. The best runner of the 10 locos I have. She'll happily crawl around the layout all day without stalling.

• RMweb Premium

The long rake of wagons looks good behind a Class 40 and very typical of freight traffic in the early 80s....However, it's not a good idea to examine the wagons too closely! They're cheap to buy totally inaccurate - in particular the ends. I've worked out several ways of improving them but with over 50 to work on that's another job I'm happy to put off.

Alan, I couldn't agree more with your first comment. The rake of wagons looks excellent and unless you are a "rivet counter" or an obsessive (which I'm sure you aren't!!) then the lack of accuracy is irrelevant. It's the overall impression from a few feet that counts.

This thread goes from strength to strength with the continual updates. Providing we don't have an "image cap" put on us by the website managers, I will certainly try to do the same with my efforts. They always said a picture was worth a thousand words and these layout threads certainly prove that to be the case!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Btw, I have a couple of revised plans for Kirkby Luneside. If interested, I will PM them to you!

Hi Alan,

Have to agree with Jeff, the wagons look good to me and if you are happy with them thats fine. I think if you tried to improve each wagon you might end up getting bored of it and not getting the rake done. You can always go back and improve a few at a later date.

40143 nice choice, I think that was one of the last split box locos in service I have a class 40 video somewhere which shows the loco a few times in it's last weeks in service. I think it had a scrape down one side by 1985. The TPM nose looks good, would it be worth sanding the placticard back a bit with some fine wet& dry. I used some plasticard to fill a boiler exhust port on a class 47, it looked a bit think and sanding it back worked a treat. Harder to do in N gauge but worth a try.

Love the latest pics too.

Cheers Peter.

Alan, I couldn't agree more with your first comment. The rake of wagons looks excellent and unless you are a "rivet counter" or an obsessive (which I'm sure you aren't!!) then the lack of accuracy is irrelevant. It's the overall impression from a few feet that counts.

This thread goes from strength to strength with the continual updates. Providing we don't have an "image cap" put on us by the website managers, I will certainly try to do the same with my efforts. They always said a picture was worth a thousand words and these layout threads certainly prove that to be the case!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Btw, I have a couple of revised plans for Kirkby Luneside. If interested, I will PM them to you!

Hi Jeff

.....No definitely not a rivet counter - just like to give the overall impression of a time and a place when building a layout.

Been shopping today for track to extend the fiddle yard and wood to add a facia, to what was originally the back of the layout. I now do most of the operating from here and it looks untidy and unfinished as it was never meant to be seen. Apart from the need for a lot more sheep these will be the last major alterations before I start some serious planning for the new OO layout.

PM me the revised track plans and I'll have a look at how your ideas for Kirby Luneside are progressing.

Hi Alan,

Have to agree with Jeff, the wagons look good to me and if you are happy with them thats fine. I think if you tried to improve each wagon you might end up getting bored of it and not getting the rake done. You can always go back and improve a few at a later date.

40143 nice choice, I think that was one of the last split box locos in service I have a class 40 video somewhere which shows the loco a few times in it's last weeks in service. I think it had a scrape down one side by 1985. The TPM nose looks good, would it be worth sanding the placticard back a bit with some fine wet& dry. I used some plasticard to fill a boiler exhust port on a class 47, it looked a bit think and sanding it back worked a treat. Harder to do in N gauge but worth a try.

Love the latest pics too.

Cheers Peter.

There are photos working over the S+C but I chose 143 as it was the split box 40 I saw most often. I worked near Manchester for over a year 1983-4 and saw quite a lot of her around Crewe, at Longsight and on parcels in Piccadilly. If only I'd thought to take more photographs back then instead of just writing down numbers.

I've decided to go with the plasticard surrounds and will try ,as you suggest, some (very careful) sanding down with wet and dry. If it all goes horribly wrong I've always got the spare pair to start again!

Hopefully I'll finally get round to adding a few extra tracks to the fiddle yard in the next couple of weeks. Probably six dead end roads to add to the six loops .I plan to use them to store extra freights for variety rather than attempting to recreate the full 1979-80 timetable. I might, however, add a 3-4 coaches to the Leeds-Carlisle trains and start running a Nottingham-Glasgow service.

• RMweb Premium

Alan, I will send you a PM with the current plan. I'm hoping it'll be the last major revision!

Where do you plan to build the 00 layout? I hope the N gauge stuff won't get ignored! Apologies if you've already explained this, but what do you have in mind in 00 - more S&C? I'm sure you'll be aiming for a strong scenic element again!

And to add to Mickey's comment. There are at least 3 non-rivet counters, as I will join your club. I haven't the time or the knowledge to look at the detailed specifics of every model I run.

Jeff

Hello Alan,

Your layout is all together lovely. You have captured both the S&C and the early eighties rail blue scene beautifully.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Nice to know there are at least two of us that put "Time and Place" before any silly counting of rivets or sleepers or whatever...I only hope I can capture my time and place as well as you have done in this essay :)

Mickey and Chris

Many thanks for the comments about the layout and the general modelling philosophy.

Chris - you might like to know there'll be 56s on the new OO gauge layout. They're a favourite class of mine...no space to run trains of 36 HAAs so I'll probably have to provide a stabling point for them! Planning is now underway....

Have been in Appelby this week, reminded me to look in on your thread. Which transfers did you use for the wagons? I have just a couple to do thankfully!

Hello devondynosoar.

Did you manage to have a ride over the line during your stay?

I remember a few years ago the station master at Appleby used to be a rail enthusiast . There were rail magazines to read in the waiting room and he'd even have a quick look at the TOPS computer to let you know which trains were on their way.

Coal wagon transfers. - There are no proper transfers on the wagons. If you can see writing or data panels, they're ready to run vehicles and I've carefully painted and weathered around the lettering.

Almost all have, however, had the "end door" white stripe added. These have been cut from a sheet of spare Fox 00 Trans Pennine coach lining stripes. The white band being carefully divided into two thin strips. This has to be done accurately and when it isn't, explains the slighty different thickness of the stripes on the finished wagons.

post-13274-0-60940600-1334608210.jpg

Although I don't get to many shows, I don't remember seeing N Gauge transfers to buy and assume they are mainly available through the N Gauge society?

Thanks for the tip on the line, sets of transfers are available from Fox and the NGS. Sadly I didn't get a ride over the line but was amazed to find little Appleby had 2 stations! It's on my must do list though.

Hi Devondynosoar

I must have been away from the hobby too long before building this layout. Don't know why, but I only ever thought of Fox as supplying 4mm transfers! Never had to look for 2mm stuff before. Been on the website...probably everthing there that I need...even a sheet for fitted 16t coal wagons. ...Thanks

It's a while since I've seen Appleby East Station. It a beautiful building...unfortunately it was in total mess, a real eyesore, the last time I walked up the road from Appleby West to have a look at it.

Chris - you might like to know there'll be 56s on the new OO gauge layout. They're a favourite class of mine...no space to run trains of 36 HAAs so I'll probably have to provide a stabling point for them! Planning is now underway....

I can't argue with that :locomotive: Do you have a thread for it yet?

Best wishes,

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a busy couple of days working on the layout.

Finally got the extra track laid in the fiddle yard which is the last major job to be done on the layout. The original reason for adding extra track was to run something similar to the 1979-80 timetable. It soon became obvious this was too ambitious...There was never going to be enough space to to lay all the tracks needed to hold a minimum of 20 trains.

post-13274-0-59976000-1336420967.jpg post-13274-0-66394400-1336421014.jpg

This is the original yard. Six loops to hold two passengers and four freights with a siding and short spur for the ballast train. Together these give enough track to run the much reduced 1982-83 timetable.

post-13274-0-09007900-1336421511.jpg post-13274-0-99017800-1336421523.jpg

Track laying begins. The original six loops remain with a seventh added from which two points will give access to a fan of three sidings at each end of the layout. The points were moved a few inches apart to improve running.

post-13274-0-91536300-1336421849.jpg post-13274-0-39830800-1336421870.jpg post-13274-0-73088100-1336421897.jpg

Sidings laid making use of every available inch of space....which still isn,t enough! With all the pointwork there's still only enough length in the sidings for one short, one long and four medium length trains.

Each line also has an isolated section the length of one loco at the end. This allows a train to complete a circuit and run into the sidings at the opposite end of the layout. It can then be isolated, detached and another loco can be run onto the back to take the train on another circuit in the opposite direction. The original plan was to also section two or three of the longest loops to each hold two trains. However because I want to run a few longer freights they'll now just hold one train each.

post-13274-0-07955300-1336422898.jpg post-13274-0-59593800-1336422912.jpg

All done apart from wiring in the isolated sections at the end of each siding. However once I started running trains from the sidings I've found it easier to run a circuit of the layout, then reverse the train back into the siding, All in all not a perfect arrangement but a chance to run a greater variety of trains. The latest idea is to run either a morning or afternoon/evening service based on the1979-80 timetable, with the six loops and a siding still available to run the original, and simpler, 1982-3 timetable.

The only problem now is - I'm short of locos again, so I'll either have to start buying old Farish 25s or just keep acquiring more 40s.

Meanwhile back to May 1980.

post-13274-0-00679300-1336425410.jpg

Class 47 053 on a Kingmoor-Tinsley freight passing 40 152 on the Ribblehead quarry trip.

post-13274-0-90699700-1336425339.jpg

40 196 heads north with 8M72, the early morning Healey Mills-Kingmoor freight.

post-13274-0-29990600-1336425241.jpg

A class 45 on the afternoon Nottingham-Glasgow service passes 40 196 returning with a freight for Severn Tunnel Junction which includes china clay empties for St Blazey.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan,

Almost missed your update as my broadband has been off for the last 3 days. Good to see more details of your underhill fiddle yard. And I strongly suggest you acquire a few more 40s - I just love them!

Hopefully I'll be starting on my own project in the very near future. Let's hear it for the S&C!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Alan,

Another new viewer (& big fan!) of your layout here!

I've just had a very enjoyable read all the way through this thread and I am most impressed! Your scenic work is rather excellent, I love it!

I don't know if I'll ever get around to going scenery like that but that's the effect I'm after.

What/how did you do your drystone walls, please?

Cheers,

John E.

Archived