Dapol Class 22 - Photo Review

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I will definite have a least one of these - it seems such a pity to have to dirty a model like this up!

Nigel

For a few extra quid you could buy the Kernow weathered version - saves any soul serching as to whether to risk your own handiwork

Well what a nice way to wake myself up this morning!!! Fantastic review there Andy, thanks for all the time and effort you've put into it... and Mr.Jones, congrats on getting there at last, it's a beauty and captures the real machines to a tee. Can't wait to get my sticky mitts on a few... I hope they don't all sell out ;)

I've been thinking about how the 'eyebrow vents' above the front windows can be added to enable other members of the class to be modelled, it probably won't be too difficult to do using bits of plasticard filed to shape....an all over green D6333 would be a doddle then.

Love those spoked wheels and the bogie detailing, very nicely done all round and as Andy says, fitting see through etched bodyside grilles would have been a waste of time, they look fine as they are. In fact, Andy's head on shot shows the side grilles off very well, the cluttered appearence has been captured nicely here, as well as the subtle change in angle on the bodysides themselves. The glazing looks great too. The headcode font looks a little small, but I think the Heljan Hymek and Western sheet might come in handy here if anyone wishes to use those instead.

This one deserves to be a success and by Jimminy I'm looking forward to the D6xx and Westerns..... B)

Excellent review. One thing I am glad to see was dropped from the original proposed specification is the pinpoint axles, those inside brass bearing collars are a much better arrangement.

Perhaps this question will have to wait until a purchaser pulls one apart, but anyway: what are the prospects for lowering the body further on the chassis to make the gap between the top of the bogie frame and the lower edge of the body work as close to scale as possible? (Although a class 22 isn't anywhere on my agenda, a class 21 to this standard very definitely is since it will knock into a cocked hat my Hornby body on Bach 25 chassis 'sort of class 21': thus assuming the same basic chassis arrangement will be used adjusted for size it will be nice to know how easy or difficult this manouevre may be...)

Perhaps this question will have to wait until a purchaser pulls one apart, but anyway: what are the prospects for lowering the body further on the chassis to make the gap between the top of the bogie frame and the lower edge of the body work as close to scale as possible? (Although a class 22 isn't anywhere on my agenda, a class 21 to this standard very definitely is since it will knock into a cocked hat my Hornby body on Bach 25 chassis 'sort of class 21': thus assuming the same basic chassis arrangement will be used adjusted for size it will be nice to know how easy or difficult this manouevre may be...)

Can I second this, with a "me too" and a "class 29" added to the proceedings?!

Rest assured that as soon as the Western hits the tool room, then the cad/cam for the class 29 will be completed.

I say the 29 as this will be the first done, then we will follow that with the 21, as i will build slides into the 21 to back date it (if you follow what i'm getting at?).

cheers

Dave

...One thing I am glad to see was dropped from the original proposed specification is the pinpoint axles, those inside brass bearing collars are a much better arrangement...

As bearings, perhaps, but from what Andy said, these bearings are also used as pickups, so there is presumably a plastic centre section to the axle. This arrangement may be a bit more problematic for conversion to P4, if not EM. After all, the pinpoint bearing/pickup arrangement on the Sentinel appears to work well and doesn't add any complexity to gauge conversion.

Nick

Rest assured that as soon as the Western hits the tool room, then the cad/cam for the class 29 will be completed.

I say the 29 as this will be the first done, then we will follow that with the 21, as i will build slides into the 21 to back date it (if you follow what i'm getting at?).

cheers

Dave

:dance_mini:

Made my day Dave! Terrific stuff.

Perhaps this question will have to wait until a purchaser pulls one apart, but anyway: what are the prospects for lowering the body further on the chassis to make the gap between the top of the bogie frame and the lower edge of the body work as close to scale as possible?

Wont that make the buffer height too low though - as it stands the buffer height looks ok - what I think needs doing is the bogie sideframes need raising up a little - Its hard to tell from the photos but it seems the sideframes are a little low down in relation to the wheels - the axleboxes dont register with the wheel centres - as there isnt enough of the wheel showing below the sideframes - and there should be almost nothing showing above them.

like this:

http://www.railblue....3.dt.080270.jpg

nothing a hacksaw cant fix - plus I wanted an excuse to link to that lovely photo :)

tfn

Jon

- what I think needs doing is the bogie sideframes need raising up a little - Its hard to tell from the photos but it seems the sideframes are a little low down in relation to the wheels - the axleboxes dont register with the wheel centres - as there isnt enough of the wheel showing below the sideframes - and there should be almost nothing showing above them.

Jon

That makes sense. I think that the wheel spokes need to be a little more prominent-this is certainly one of the things that struck me about the prototypes.

Ed

Hi there,

Dapol cannot get involved with sound options on any of it's models at this stage. We simply dont have the resources or even manpower to start going down that road......yet. who knows what te future may hold though.

The picture on the Hattons facebook page basically shows you (and almost the same picture is in the instructions) about speaker size and fitting, and the Locsound4 decoder installation.

Cheers

Dave

Wont that make the buffer height too low though - as it stands the buffer height looks ok - what I think needs doing is the bogie sideframes need raising up a little - Its hard to tell from the photos but it seems the sideframes are a little low down in relation to the wheels - the axleboxes dont register with the wheel centres - as there isnt enough of the wheel showing below the sideframes - and there should be almost nothing showing above them...

Good spot, that potentially makes the job much easier.

• RMweb Premium

These look to be every bit worth the wait, a significant part of which was well outside Dapol's control as has been well discussed. Full credit to the manufacturer for persisting in the face of significant odds and to bring a promised model to the market. And thanks to Andy for a detailed and impartial review.

I have two of Kernow's weathered ones on order and look forward to their imminent arrival at which time my "substitute" Tri-ang Hornby 22/29 can be withdrawn (it's been sitting in the "surplus to requirements" box for almost two years already!)

I only have one comment to add and it is not unique to the 22s. The loop couplers have a slight droop. Nowhere near the infamous Heljan droop though. The same couplers on the "silver bullets" also have that and the Beattie well tanks , while barely less than horizontal, also have the vertical member of the hook sitting quite low. I use Peco code 100 track and find those hooks sometimes strike the blades of the "cross" route when traversing points and crossings and also clip on track-mounted detail such as barrow crossings and AWS ramps with consequent derailments.

I don't need a wholesale reworking of Dapol's output as my solution has been to take the Xuron cutters and clip the bottom 1mm off the hooks. That doesn't affect coupling integrity but does mean they stay clear of anything in the "four foot".

As well as perhaps some feedback for Dave to consider (and perhaps a minor redesign for future releases) may I ask if anyone running these items on Code 75, where the coupler hooks would sit even closer to the sleepers, is experiencing any issues?

Hi Gwiwer,

i note your comments about droopy couplers and i hope for the class 21/29 i have a solution (and i'm trying to fit it to the Class 52 as well, but no promises).

this is a mini body mounted close coupling system like they use on the continent. This will create a positive hold for slender vertical movement of the coupler, but also allow for a close coupling of loco to stock which will be nice as it expands round curves.

anyway here's hoping.

cheers

dave

... a mini body mounted close coupling system like they use on the continent. This will create a positive hold for slender vertical movement of the coupler, but also allow for a close coupling of loco to stock which will be nice as it expands round curves.

Doubleplusexcellent!

• RMweb Premium

What a staggering model, and a superb review, Andy - the best I think I've ever seen anywhere!

Hopefully Ultrascale will get their hands on one of these soon - having done a conversion pack for EM & P4 for the Model Rail Sentinel, I would hope that this one won't be too far behind!

Just spent a little while with my local model shop owner sorting out my order and a couple of others, at one point he rang Dapol to check, and I think we have it straight now :D

Ultrascale do a 3'7" spoked wheel. I used it for my (sigh) kitbuilt/scratch built Class 22. I dunno, first a Beattie, then a 22, next it'll be an 02. Wheal Elizabeth's stock is all going to look old hat before too long!

The model does look very good. When are the blue ones out?

For people interested in sound, with any luck there should some authentic sounds available soon if D832 gets fitted with at least 1 NBL-MAN engine soon. Nothing is definite mind you.

The model looks superb, with the exception of that rather large gap between the buffer beam skirting and the cab.

Can this piece be fitted a bit better to reduce the gap?

22valance2.jpg

It looks from the bottom that it should be about 1mm or so higher?

Archived