Some LT Wagons

Metr0Land

Hi,

I am trying to make an L.T. 30 ton GP bogie flat wagon in N Gauge in the 1960's era, I am stuck on the brake gear and cross ribs which you can just see, has any one got any idea whats under this wagon.

Steve.

from what i recall, two central spines that taper down at the bogies with some bracing going down to the sides i think.

As an interesting aside, the flat wagon F361? that used to carry the body of the jubilee coach in the acton depot has been moved to the Epping and Ongar railway, where they also have one of the LT BR standard brake vans. hopefully we'll see it restored in the not too distant future.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hope its alright me posting this on here from my discussions about it nearly a year ago!

Whilst ive grabbed a spare couple of hours today ive managed to build the test etch for the 4mm scale London Transport Hurst Nelson Brake van and much to my relief after 2 and a half years of development and allot of heartache (and money!), its now ready!

Price to be confirmed but looking to be around the £20 to £25 mark with wheels.

If you are interested in purchasing one from the first batch, please contact me off group so enough is ordered for everone.

It is mainly in etched nickel silver with cast ends and floor to add the neccessary relief and weight.

4mm%20scale%20lt%20hurst%20nelson%20brak

4mm%20scale%20lt%20hurst%20nelson%20brak

LT 60ft rail wagon currently having its test build done and looking good so far so will report on that very soon!

post-14054-0-26969400-1372792185_thumb.jpg

I've never thought the Bachmann 10ft WB wagons masquerading as London Transport  were very convincing when compared to the real thing (See the LT museum example pictured earlier in this thread). I believe a better and cheaper alternative lies in the Hornby 9ft WB wooden framed private owner wagons. The two on the left I bought several years ago at swapmeets and have just finally removed the lettering as I want to convert them to LT match wagons. It was a quick job with acetone (nail varnish remover), which will attack plastic, but of course these are protected by the original Hornby paint finish.

The wagon on the right is a white metal Wills Finecast track cleaning wagon - appropriately designed to use cigarette fliter tips wetted with cleaning fluid from above. I bought it at a swapmeet about 20 years ago and soon gave up on cleaning track with it, but had always been puzzled as to its prototype origins. Now I'm wondering if its related to their LT ballast wagon kit, but I havent seen one of those.

Incidentally, I dont think many of these small wagons went far in the post war years, all the regular engineering works I recall used the 50ft Flat/ballast F3xx series wagons, the RW rail wagons (like Robert Thompson is producing soon), or the HW4XX series hopper ballast wagons as Cambrian has said.

Edited by Broadway Clive

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone,

Quick question.

What is the best matching paint for LT engineering stock between the 30's and 70's before the blue and yellow era?

Need to know this for both myself and for the instructions!

• RMweb Gold

Not sure I'm gonna be much help but here goes.

1st a problem - they seem to have changed from light grey to dark grey in the 60's but I've never found a source that can quote when.

My stock is all light grey as it just pre-dates the change.

What I currently use is Testors Polly Scale CSX Gray which I feel is a good match.  This is especially so if you use different undercoats (grey, black etc) as it gives subtle shading differences of the kind you get when wagons age.

Now the bad news, Testors are stopping production......   :ireful:

• 3 years later...

Hi All. I emailed the London Transport Museum, enquiringl about engineering train wagons to run with Pannier Tank L94.

The reply came back, " We have not commisiloned any wagons" and "I am unaware of any wagos relevant to London Transport Locomotives". I thought that would have been a good idea, but, I was wrong again. happy modelling. Kev

Hi All. I emailed the London Transport Museum, enquiringl about engineering train wagons to run with Pannier Tank L94.

The reply came back, " We have not commisiloned any wagons" and "I am unaware of any wagos relevant to London Transport Locomotives". I thought that would have been a good idea, but, I was wrong again. happy modelling. Kev

Hi Ken

If you haven't got it already, I highly recommend purchasing a copy of Red Panniers by John Scott Morgan and Kirk Martin. Lots of pictures showing the panniers on various workings from Pway to rubbish. Mostly the stock they pulled was British rail wagons of various sizes.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've recently cut n shut a Parkside 4mm MR 20t Brake Van into the LTPB Hurst Nelson van, scaling fairly roughly from photos and a couple of key measurements.

There's  6mm out of the wheelbase, 2 planks (4mm) out of each cabin side offset with the joins hidden hehind the duckets) and 1mm off each veranda. The recessed outer ends were infilled with Evergreen O Gauge planked Car Siding and duckets scratchbuilt from 4 layers of 20 thou plasticard, suitably shaped. Roof shortened by 6mm and the rain strip and chimney detail removed. 0.45mm handrails added, and the long footstep cut n shut by 6mm.

Its not 100% correct - I didn't alter the cabin ends (door centred still rather than offset to the left) and only 4 step supports instead of 6 (might still add those on), but it looks the part at least.  

Light grey with red ends and Modelmasters decals will finish. 

IMG_20191017_221408

IMG_20191017_221417

IMG_20191021_205150

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

While on the subject of LT wagonry... Does anyone know what type of bogies we're fitted to the 30t flat wagons, either the 1937 or 1951 batches, number ranges F332-F369. Difficult to tell from the various photos I have available to me. I'm also assuming they ran on smaller diameter wheels? 9mm? 10.5mm?

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

58 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

While on the subject of LT wagonry... Does anyone know what type of bogies we're fitted to the 30t flat wagons, either the 1937 or 1951 batches, number ranges F332-F369. Difficult to tell from the various photos I have available to me. I'm also assuming they ran on smaller diameter wheels? 9mm? 10.5mm?

The wagons ran on low profile diamond bogies with 2'6" wheels.

4mm scale whitemetal bogies are available from RT Models

• Like 2

On 23 September 2016 at 06:47, Passed Driver said:

It says a lot about the knowledge, or rather the lack of it, amongst the museum staff.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2019 at 13:21, CloggyDog said:

I've recently cut n shut a Parkside 4mm MR 20t Brake Van into the LTPB Hurst Nelson van, scaling fairly roughly from photos and a couple of key measurements.

There's  6mm out of the wheelbase, 2 planks (4mm) out of each cabin side offset with the joins hidden hehind the duckets) and 1mm off each veranda. The recessed outer ends were infilled with Evergreen O Gauge planked Car Siding and duckets scratchbuilt from 4 layers of 20 thou plasticard, suitably shaped. Roof shortened by 6mm and the rain strip and chimney detail removed. 0.45mm handrails added, and the long footstep cut n shut by 6mm.

Its not 100% correct - I didn't alter the cabin ends (door centred still rather than offset to the left) and only 4 step supports instead of 6 (might still add those on), but it looks the part at least.  

Light grey with red ends and Modelmasters decals will finish. 

Nice work with the duckets.  That's something that's always put me off having another go!

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

What are the current LT wagon and brake van kit and rtr options?

Met Brake van and dropside wagon kits from South Eastern finecast.

Hurst Nelson brake van and RW60 rail wagon kits from RT models plus bogies, drophead oval buffers and socket castings.

There used to be GP50 wagon kits from Radley models but having just checked the website it does not appear anymore.

RtR, Bachmann 20T BR type brake van.

Yes, I had a look at the SEF offerings which I presume are white metal.  I would be compensating with P4 wheels.  I just need a couple to go with my pannier.  Are they reasonable as they seem fairly cheap.

On 11/05/2020 at 01:19, Jeff Smith said:

Yes, I had a look at the SEF offerings which I presume are white metal.  I would be compensating with P4 wheels.  I just need a couple to go with my pannier.  Are they reasonable as they seem fairly cheap.

I built an open and a brake van in P4.  In each case, I fitted Bill-Bedford axleguards. The brake is extremely heavy, and I replaced the roof to lighten it. The open is quite good, but squeezing in the suspension led me to replace the floor, which was a lot of extra work. If I wanted another Met brake I might build the SEF kit again. For the open, I think it's so simple that it would be as quick to build from scratch...except that the appropriate buffers and axleboxes are not available AFAIK.