a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

Hi all- Well this seems the end of the "build" for me,2years and 9 months down the line,all is finished,

I still can't decide wether or not to put the coal in the tender,

For those of you still building it is quite a substantual model.

Pity about the crap controller they sent,still it can be upgraded,

good luck to all those still building.

ROB

post-1950-064550300 1284879372_thumb.jpg

Bianco55,

As regard to the sequence of build,I just took it week by week, leaving the transfers till last.

I have screwed it together thus:- boiler to footplate/footplate to frame/and cab last,

I've done it thisway if there is any "frame trouble"(motor etc,) then it can be stripped down to fix.

Appreciate you like the Photo.-----ROB

Well after waiting about 4 months for a replacement part which was badly cast, and being totally lied too by W H Smith

about how long a replacement part would be , At least Hatchette come up trumps with the part.

Perhaps you would like to come to Sasanach land Rob to finish it off........

Regards Ted..

Hi Rob

I was trying to get a replacement atomiser part 102/103 as you know it has 7 holes to drill out but the part I received only had

5 good holes I could drill out, so I stopped the build, will have to plough through the books to find out what goes where.

regards Ted..

Hi all final twist in the hachette saga i recieved my final mags last month, waited for the direct debit to be taken then cancelled it then last week got a letter from them asking for payment as my dd had been cancelled , after a stern phone call they agreed they was at fault . As for my build its going really slow, to many projects on the work bench, keep the pics coming if only to spur me on, will try to post some pics myself in the next few weeks.

Dave

If anyone living in north Birmingham would like to see my efforts so far, building the Hatchette A3 - then come along to Birmingham MRC's exhibition 23rd October at St Cuthberts Church, Castle Vale. Details on our club website. Alternatively the website shows details of where our club meets on Tuesday evenings - all welcome.

Regards, Paul Boot.

http://birminghammodelrailwayclub.clubbz.com

Hi all final twist in the hachette saga i recieved my final mags last month, waited for the direct debit to be taken then cancelled it then last week got a letter from them asking for payment as my dd had been cancelled , after a stern phone call they agreed they was at fault . As for my build its going really slow, to many projects on the work bench, keep the pics coming if only to spur me on, will try to post some pics myself in the next few weeks.

Dave

Hi

I had exactly the same situation, but I just ignored them, and I have not heard anymore......... they really are clowns. Poor products, poor customer service and even poorer after sales, I for one will NEVER use their products again !!!!!!

Hello all,

Been a bit off for a while, and running the gauntlet of many medical tests.

I have given up on the idea of logical build sequence, as I found I was running in ever diminishing circles, and was afraid that I would ...........................make mistakes.:lol: !

Somethig puzzles me however. I have just assembled the crank pins on all the driving wheels, and slightly countersunk the hole at the back of the wheel to stop the screw poking out so far - thought it may be a problem at some future point - and note that with the washers included with the chassis spring etchings ( X 3), there seems to only be mention of them being fitted to the front pair of drivers. I have hunted through all the etchings, and read through all the mags (we are up to part 113 here) and there seems to be no mention that I can see of washers on the second and third sets of drivers. And a washer left over to boot!

This seems a bit odd to me, as there is a fair bit of side play in them, can any of you learned blokes that are finished tell me, are there washers to go on these later in the build, or are they not required.?

Cant make much sense of this bit I'm afraid :huh:

Regards,

Bushrat

Here is a picture of mine, as 60086 Gainsborough near the end of its life. I have not quite finished it yet, and still have some painting and weathering to do. I realise that Gainsborough did not in fact have smoke deflectors but prefer the appearance with them. I selected the name as I used to live in the Lincolnshire town, although of course the loco was actually named after a horse. All I need now is the layout to run it on.post-5503-053667500 1286130925_thumb.jpg

I'm impressed with your picture of Gainsborough, if I'd thought about it and had enough time I would have preferred an A3 to an A1. I live in South Shields (Tyne & Wear) and Gainsborough being a Neville Hill engine passed nearby on many occassions pulling Newcastle - Liverpool trains on the north east coast route along with Columbo, Harvester, Trigo, Manna and Gainsborough all Neville Hill locos by then (1958 - 1962).

I made my own out of ink jet transfer paper that I had lying around I have used photographic paper by peeling the top (printed layer) previously and that worked ok. I took the dials from a colour photograph of Mallard's cab, near enough I for me. You can make them the correct diameter by selecting the circular shape and size in M.S. Word, gives you the diameter required.

Hi bianco55,

I have a photo of my cab with my own printed gauges and have spare sets. (See pici at bottom of page 2). They are printed on gloss card at the suitable sizes, but you have to cut them out yourself and stick them on. If you think they are good enough just PM me and I will forward a set to you. If not good luck with your own solution.

Cheers Dennis.

Archived