Pine Road. The original 4mm scale Lyme Regis based layout

pushpull33

It's been a while since i posted anything here, I have mainly been concentrating on the Blog which can be found here

https://cpineroad.blogspot.co.uk/

Pine Road is still alive and well

The reason for this post is. i would like to thank every body that voted for Pine Road at the Poole MRS exhibition as it won Best at Show prize. Chuffed to bits i am,

Also,

Something you may be interested in if you build Locomotives.Just a little invention i came up with.

post-13496-0-29111400-1478477172_thumb.jpg

More information is available here

https://cpineroad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/announcement.html

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just come across this thread Mr. Pushpull, from the link in your signature.

What a lovely layout!  You have beautifully captured a slice of rural Dorset.  

Any more exhibitions planned, or any news?

All the best, Dave.T

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

It's been a while since i posted anything on Pine Road. After a long hard thought about this, i have decided to part with the layout. The only reason being is to make room for a new project. I have found this a rather hard decision to make. Being the first 'real' layout i have built. 

I just couldn't bring myself to break up the layout it deserves better, and would rather it go to a good home and someone else can perhaps take it further. It would not take much to turn it in to a roundy roundy or add a fiddle yard to one end, i have used its fiddle yard for something else.

Perhaps this should go in the 'forsale' section of the forum but personally (getting sentimental here) i thought it deserved better! Perhaps i am trying to reach to a certain modeller that can take care of it and really wants Pine Road and can take it into the future. wouldn't it be nice to see it at future exhibition. Someone that has more time than me, that can expand on it.

Yes.  i have already edited it twice now.

Pine Road is coming up for its 12th Birthday. It has been to a few local exhibitions and has featured in Railway Modeller April 2016. The layout is in good working order but the backscene could perhaps do with replacing. It is "L" shaped 9ft long and 4ft wide up to the thatch cottage on the left in one of the photos.

You will find loads of information about the layout on here and on my blog https://cpineroad.blogspot.com/ No stock will be included. The curtain and shelving that goes below the layout will be included. The next owner would have to arrange a van or have a big estate car to collect, as a guide it will fit in a Ford Galaxy. 

Payment, well, this is a difficult one, Whats it worth ????. i would like something for it to fund the future project but i am not asking thousands of pounds like i have seen some up for. we are in the hundreds as long as someone has the room and is willing to give it a good home, i am flexible. bare in mind, it is not a 'Childs' train set  

If you should be interested then PM me and we can discuss its future.

post-13496-0-10216800-1542804942_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-76701800-1542805025_thumb.jpg

post-13496-0-91564900-1542805197_thumb.jpg

Colin

Edited by pushpull33
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Having bumped into Colin at the Wimborne Society Open day in Dec. I was somewhat taken aback to find no one had contacted him about the sale of Pine Road.

A few days later I contacted him and arranged to view the layout and a deal was done and I’m now the new custodian of Pine Road, can’t  say owner as no one can take this layout away from Colin’s creative ownership.

My original thinking was to bring the era up to the BR 50’s early 60’s to fit in with my existing Wimborne stock, but the I more soaked up the atmosphere of the layout the more it cried out to be kept in the 1930’s, who can resist those Adams Radials in Southern Maunsell  Green. Never say never, but at least for the time being mid 1930’s it stays. There was I telling the wife at least I won’t have to buy any more stock to run on the new layout,  damn more brownie points to be earned.

Aim now is to get it back on the exhibition circuit and with that in mind the fiddle yard board is being returned to its original layout and the ends of the two main boards modified so they can be joined back to back for easier transportation. Other tasks in the planning stage are, pelmet with lighting gantry and replacement back board scene.

So hopefully the future is bright for Pine Road and it has reached the type of person Colin was  looking for and by keeping  it local he can still keep an eye on it.

Ian

transport ready.jpg

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/05/2020 at 18:01, lymebilly said:

Hi

I know it is a while since you posted the pictures of the goods shed that you built. Could you tell me what the building material for the sides of the shed were is it Wills Plastic sheets?

Regards Bill

Hi Bill.

Not on rmweb much these days but from memory it is seperatly cut strips cut from plasticard. Its very rare that i use wills sheet as to thick, hard to cut and are not generally not big enough to build anything with.

Edited by pushpull33
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 22:15, Yankee said:

Having bumped into Colin at the Wimborne Society Open day in Dec. I was somewhat taken aback to find no one had contacted him about the sale of Pine Road.

A few days later I contacted him and arranged to view the layout and a deal was done and I’m now the new custodian of Pine Road, can’t  say owner as no one can take this layout away from Colin’s creative ownership.

My original thinking was to bring the era up to the BR 50’s early 60’s to fit in with my existing Wimborne stock, but the I more soaked up the atmosphere of the layout the more it cried out to be kept in the 1930’s, who can resist those Adams Radials in Southern Maunsell  Green. Never say never, but at least for the time being mid 1930’s it stays. There was I telling the wife at least I won’t have to buy any more stock to run on the new layout,  damn more brownie points to be earned.

Aim now is to get it back on the exhibition circuit and with that in mind the fiddle yard board is being returned to its original layout and the ends of the two main boards modified so they can be joined back to back for easier transportation. Other tasks in the planning stage are, pelmet with lighting gantry and replacement back board scene.

So hopefully the future is bright for Pine Road and it has reached the type of person Colin was  looking for and by keeping  it local he can still keep an eye on it.

Ian

transport ready.jpg

I really should look on RmWeb more often.

I am so pleased you took on Pine Road. Having got to know you better since you took ownership of the layout, its good to know it has gone to a good home, someone that understands and realises what the layout is all about, its history and its original concept, that was my prime goal. 

Judging by the progress i dont think i have to keep much of an eye on it.

I do apologise for the exspence involved, you deciding to keep it Southern, personally i think it was a good move but then, i would say that wouldn't i.

18 months have gone buy and it still looks as stunning to me as ever.

After building  'Parkstone Goods' and 'Exton Quay' i am finding it difficult to find some inspiration for the next and final, long term project layout. Obviously its still has to be Southern, 1930s, somewhere in Devon, but what ? Come on brain, inspire me please.

Thank you Ian for taking it on and looking after Pine Road.

Colin.

• Friendly/supportive 1

May I invite you to view Pine Road, 

“Evoking the slow, idyllic life synonymous with the Dorset countryside

Pine Road is a layout started in 2007, named after and inspired by the very road the builder of the layout was born in. However, despite the portrayal of several childhood memories, Pine Road remains a largely imaginary vision of a place somewhere in Southwest Dorset around the mid-1930’s.

More detailed pictures and videos to follow.

• Like 6

Thanks to David Townend who put together a fine Zoom presentation of Pine Road for his Mc Kinley group I have managed to use some extracts from that presentation to create a more detailed video of the layout.

These are my first attempts at Youtube so any comments towards improving presentation welcome.

• Like 5