card rolling stock

I would add my support to the use of the silhouette cutter. Absolutely fantastic piece of kit, and it will handle plasticard too! I'm half way through building a 1:32 scale Norwich tram for a museum display, and I think I would have gone crazy without the cutter. I'll post some photos later.

I have been using .dxf files exported from Illustrator which seems to work fine, although along the length of an A4 sheet, there appears to be a slight alignment problem, which amounts to approx 2mm, not a lot, but still quite considerable when I was trying to cut out 2mm scale coach overlays!

I have been using .dxf files exported from Illustrator which seems to work fine, although along the length of an A4 sheet, there appears to be a slight alignment problem, which amounts to approx 2mm, not a lot, but still quite considerable when I was trying to cut out 2mm scale coach overlays!

I get that occasionally and I've come to the conclusion that it's printer error because it's not always the same on the same printout.My rubbish Canon laser printer is constantly recalibrating itself and correcting out of registration colours so i'm hardly surprised at this.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My Cameo turned up in the post today. Worked fine out of the box, and while I'm impressed, the mat is really sticky and tears the paper I was using with the test cuts - I'm assuming that it will become less sticky in time.

I'm looking forward to running off a few window frames and cutting tests etc once it settles down. Meanwhile, walls and rooves tomorrow I think :)

Edited by JCL

The mat does seem excessively sticky at first,but it does wear off to the point where you might wish it was a bit stickier cutting thicker card and parts lifting off during cutting.

I've given mine a coat of repositionable spray mount.

The best way I've found to get parts off is to bend the mat downwards away from the card and over the edge of a desk or worktop.Either remove the cut parts or the waste by sliding a thin pallet knife under a free end,I use a small trowel shaped artists pallet knife.

Probably best to update the software before doing too much saving of cut lines,I remember I seemed to have a conflict between original saved files after the upgrade,but that could have been me.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your advice Allan, it certainly helped today

I've just thought, my questions about the cutter has taken over the thread about card rolling stock. If it's ok with everyone I'll start a new thread so this one can get back on topic.

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL

• 1 month later...

An acquaintance of mine has recently produced a card locomotive kit that might be of some interest to this group...

I mentioned these before when he was developing the kit. now it's available through E-bay.

He is offering a card kit of Bulleid's Leader locomotives in a range of liveries.

Look for Item number: 140794020641 on Ebay.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_582wt_1394

I intend acquiring a couple myself with a view to motorising one of them if I can find a suitable chassis..

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chris_nicole

L49 mentioned "I would add my support to the use of the silhouette cutter. Absolutely fantastic piece of kit, and it will handle plasticard too"

What thickness of plasticard will it cut? I've been thinking of getting one - but I read varying reports that it won't cut plastic?

Thanks

Andy

L49 mentioned "I would add my support to the use of the silhouette cutter. Absolutely fantastic piece of kit, and it will handle plasticard too"

What thickness of plasticard will it cut? I've been thinking of getting one - but I read varying reports that it won't cut plastic?

Thanks

Andy

I have tried the craft robo with cutting plastic, it will not cut straight through it. It will score it and then you can snap it. So only good for simple shapes.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have tried the craft robo with cutting plastic, it will not cut straight through it. It will score it and then you can snap it. So only good for simple shapes.

managed to get it to cut 10 thou, although I had to set it to cut twice on the 'cut page' screen. I have put 20 thou through and scored it before finishing off with a scalpel. I really need to post the pics at some point. I've not uploaded them yet!

• 6 months later...

Has anybody come across Cardboard Enineering, with scisors and paste by GH Deason published Model Aeronautical Press in the 1960,s?

It contained disciptions of how to build a variety of models including a showmans road locomotive and a Midland Railway train hauled by a

Crampton loco. A later edition also had a model of Sannon now at Didcot. The railway models were 7mm scale

Laurence

I picked up a slightly battered 1958 copy today for the grand sum of £2! The book features traction engines and road rollers, ships, cars, tracked vehicles (including a Ruston Bucyrus skimmer), and railway and tramways. The 7mm scale Crampton loco is particulary interesting, a Midland Railway example with double frames and enclosed valve gear. Most of the models, rail and road, are motorised.

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I finished a couple of wagons, here they are nearly complete;

es89z5.jpg

The salt van and the cattle wagon you can see under it are compliments of Andy (cornamuse) and the short wheelbase one from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock2c.htm

The wheels are from Invertrain and the buffer heads made from drawing pins, the couplings made from florists iron wire and the transfers are Letraset

j58jl4.jpg

I used Vallejo acrylic paints thinned slightly with water and painted on with a flat brush. I'm making a new micro layout and needed these for the even shorter sidings than on the previous one I'd made.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

To Jim 

Do you size the plans on the computer and them print them directly onto card? What card thickness do you use and what is that yellow stuff you have painted the card in?

I found Ryans sold 0.6 mm card in A4 size that goes through the pinter fine despited being fed around the printer roller.  What type of glue do you use?

Good to see you make your own W-irons and buffers out of house hold materials, I guess that means the cardboard W-irons are strong enough. In 4mm I always think I must use the more expensive commercial parts offered by the trade. Where do you get the Letraset transfers from I though computer desk top publishers had put them out of business?

Guest Jim Read

Hello JCL,

I'm making two cattle wagons and a flat wagon as well but have slowed down somewhat to work on my new layout.

Hello RH,

I print the drawings onto paper, stick it to picture mount board with cheapo pritt stick stuff then one light coating of shellac, when dry make two cuts along the planking lines and peel off the paper.

The W irons are cut from the same card and the springs from layers of cartridge paper, the card is a bit thick but once painted doesn't look too bad. The strapping is paper and the rivets blobs of Seccotine, which you can still buy.

Oddly enough Letraset is still in business http://www.letraset.com/products/90-Letraset-Transfers/ I was surprised as well, only a very limited range though, but good enough for what I want.

Shellac makes the card a lot stiffer, I buy the flakes and dissove them in meths.

It's nice to be able to make a wagon from a drawing the satisfaction at overcoming the problems is immense.

Cheers and good luck both - Jim

• Like 1

I agree with Jim - the satisfaction is great -

I print onto card and then layer up - maybe 4 or 5 layers to get to the thickness, although i used mounting board for open trucks, with card planks glued to either side

not as clean as Jim's models, and I am sadly behind with my modelmaking :)

here is one from a while ago -

Brake van and salt wagon

the w irons from card are very strong - especially when made from 3 layers of card laminated using superglue :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

managed to get it to cut 10 thou, although I had to set it to cut twice on the 'cut page' screen. I have put 20 thou through and scored it before finishing off with a scalpel. I really need to post the pics at some point. I've not uploaded them yet!

Finally managed to find and upload the Norwich Tram. This is a bit of a mix up, the superstructure largely being plasticard, with printed card skin for the fancy panels, but it's a good example of how far you can push a silhouette. It's certainly revolutionised my scatchbuilt work.

post-8704-0-01827600-1373547808_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-57840600-1373547928_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-85834800-1373547960_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-24445400-1373547982_thumb.jpg

I'm really impressed by the card wagons and vans. I have been thinking about having a go myself to produce some private owners to go on our new club layout.

I have tended to use less detailed methods for my own 4mm scale card rolling stock, but they look okay. I've posted a couple of shots below.

post-8704-0-93248500-1373548134_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-45219300-1373548169_thumb.jpg

These are both straight from the kit SLM vehicles with a few extra whitememtal castings, and some scrap card for the rainstrips and steps. They are both on Bachmann Mk 1 bogies.

• Like 12

These are very impressive modelling.

What kits are they ?

Chris

Finally managed to find and upload the Norwich Tram. This is a bit of a mix up, the superstructure largely being plasticard, with printed card skin for the fancy panels, but it's a good example of how far you can push a silhouette. It's certainly revolutionised my scatchbuilt work.

I'm really impressed by the card wagons and vans. I have been thinking about having a go myself to produce some private owners to go on our new club layout.

I have tended to use less detailed methods for my own 4mm scale card rolling stock, but they look okay. I've posted a couple of shots below.

These are both straight from the kit SLM vehicles with a few extra whitememtal castings, and some scrap card for the rainstrips and steps. They are both on Bachmann Mk 1 bogies.

They are card kits.  I bought one of the 1967 stock kits with a view to motorising it, but found it fiendishly difficult to make, so L49's work is the more impressive.

I don't think they will ever run on my railway, but one did feature in an April Fool's Day wind up:

The%2520Rhubarb%2520Line.JPG

I stuck this up on Facebook on the morning of that day & had people convinced I had built a model Underground which I was about to bury.

• Like 3