card rolling stock

The Peco kits used plastic chassis and metal (mazak?) bodies to which card sides were affixed.

Here's my effort using Peco sides on a styrene box van. Brakes and w-irons are etched.

Paul,

Your Bass Van looks good to me.

Did you emboss the planks and strapping or is that the print effect ?

I heartily agree that keeping a consistant standard of finish across all features of a layout makes a huge contribution to the overall impression of the layout, whether they be rolling stock, buildings, RTR or scratch built.

Regards,

Chris

Black Hat

Edited by Chris_nicole

Here's one that I found on ebay, a pair of Garstang and Knott End Railway salt vans;

post-6749-0-85060800-1322825938_thumb.jpg

This is an 'Elro' kit, and is apparently available in 4mm and 7mm (mine is 4mm). They also do some Manx and some US stock.

I'm torn between making it up purely from card or using the card as overlays on a styrene base, as I did with the Bass van above.

Your Bass Van looks good to me.

Did you emboss the planks and strapping or is that the print effect ?

Thanks.

The Peco sides come ready embossed, including the end louvres (which can't be seen in my photo). So all you need to do is cut them out and glue in place. Although they do look rather dated by todays standards the Peco sides are not without charm. I'd like some of the 'Worthingtons' sides if I can find some unused at a reasonable price.

The trouble with this site is it sends you off looking for things when you should be modelling!! :)

This is the ERG book which I found after much searching in dark places

Also three items of stock I made following the techniques outlined in the book in about 1970 if I remember right.

The stock is shown on my current project being built.

Roger

post-7345-0-12800200-1322930043_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-90480200-1322930128_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-41549200-1322930136_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-25889800-1322930142_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-20174200-1322930247_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Here's one that I found on ebay, a pair of Garstang and Knott End Railway salt vans;

post-6749-0-85060800-1322825938_thumb.jpg

This is an 'Elro' kit, and is apparently available in 4mm and 7mm (mine is 4mm). They also do some Manx and some US stock.

I'm torn between making it up purely from card or using the card as overlays on a styrene base, as I did with the Bass van above.

Paul,

I had seen Elro kits marketed on E-bay a while back, but could not remember the name or find my link for them.

His Manx Electric Railway kits looked impressive.

More info here...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Elro123-Transport-Photos-and-Kits?_trksid=p4340.l2563

As I understand it, Elro kits are made up from multiple laminations of thin card.

This can give a very strong structure (for card) and very effective relief modelling.

Regards,

Chris

The 4mm Peco card wagon kits are being sold again but not the metal inside bases for them, for some reason. So is the wonderful wagon underframe, usable for 9 ft wood or 10ft wb steel u/f. Interesting technology there if they are using the sme flexible plastic.

See http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3309,3322&CAT_ID=3325&numRecordPosition=1

and I found examples on sale at Kernow models.

The 4mm Peco card wagon kits are being sold again but not the metal inside bases for them, for some reason. So is the wonderful wagon underframe, usable for 9 ft wood or 10ft wb steel u/f. Interesting technology there if they are using the sme flexible plastic.

See http://www.peco-uk.c...ecordPosition=1

and I found examples on sale at Kernow models.

That is good news.

I had no idea how many they produced or what varieties.

They have some very attractive vans in their range...

The chassis kit looks interesting too.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks. The vehicle you refer to is a mail brake built at Highbridge specifically to carry mail on the 2.40 am down freight. I cheated with the ducket and used a casting!

Regards

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Were these ERG kits, or did you draw them yourself ?

I tend to think of these as multi-media.

The planked sides and framing work really well in card, but I would not attempt card for the chassis or running gear!

Regards,

Chris

I had seen Elro kits marketed on E-bay a while back, but could not remember the name or find my link for them.

His Manx Electric Railway kits looked impressive.

As I understand it, Elro kits are made up from multiple laminations of thin card.

This can give a very strong structure (for card) and very effective relief modelling.

Regards,

Chris

Chris et al,

The Elro kits are designed by Robert Hendry: you will struggle to find anyone with greater knowledge of the MER rolling stock.

They are indeed made up of sevaral laminations of thinner card and having built a few I can say that with patience and care a very good result can be produced but it does help of you have some knowlege of the vehicle in question to visualise the finished model during construction.

Paul

• Like 1

That is good news.

I had no idea how many they produced or what varieties.

They have some very attractive vans in their range...

The chassis kit looks interesting too.

Chris

An e-mail enquiry to Peco brought the following prompt response:

Thank you for your Email.

If you have problems obtaining the card sides we can supply these

togeher with the chassis kits and wheels by mail order. Depending on

which sides you choose, there are also plastic roofs available. The only

part you would need to make is the internal body to put the sides on,

and for this most modellers use styrene sheet of around 0.040"

thickness. We can also supply the styrene sheet. If you have any

questions or if you would like to place an order please phone us on

01297 21542.

Kind regards

A Beard

PECO Technical Advice Bureau

I think I know what I would like for Christmas!

:)

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

A few years back Railway Modeller published an article on building locomotives in cardboard. The author even used 2mm plywood for the chassis! He did say that a lot of detailing items such as chimneys, domes, buffers, etc could be bought as metal castings, but there was a time when people even made them from layers of card!

You don't have to be a card purist though. He used plastic pipes and all sorts of other bits and bobs if they happened to be the right size.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well had to give it a go!

Started the Class 37 Railfrieght livery build this afternoon.

Couple of photos showing progress so far, not happy with the nose end or how the front windows have fitted, I've gone wrong somewhere.

Like all card kits you down load though....print it off and try again :yes:

Peter did say a friend of his had tried the loco on a rolling chassis and it did work, you do have to chop the kit chassis about a bit to fit, but I think once I get it sorted it will look really effective.

It looks like I wil have to get the Deltic now and have a go at that!

post-6745-0-24537900-1323560555_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-28526400-1323560558_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Link Chris!!

Cheers

Ian

Peter Taft has recently produced a card model of a Deltic loco in BR Blue finish to OO scale.

I have one of these but have not started it yet.

He also has a Class 37 in large logo BR blue and is about to publish a 37 in coal sector grey.

These are available as scaleable pdf downloads or printed to order.

If you would like to know more e-mail Peter at peter.taft1@googlemail.com

(I have his permission to post his e-mail)

Regards,

Chris

Edited by traction
  • Like 5

Well had to give it a go!

Started the Class 37 Railfrieght livery build this afternoon.

Couple of photos showing progress so far, not happy with the nose end or how the front windows have fitted, I've gone wrong somewhere.

Like all card kits you down load though....print it off and try again :yes:

Peter did say a friend of his had tried the loco on a rolling chassis and it did work, you do have to chop the kit chassis about a bit to fit, but I think once I get it sorted it will look really effective.

It looks like I wil have to get the Deltic now and have a go at that!

post-6745-0-24537900-1323560555_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-28526400-1323560558_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Link Chris!!

Cheers

Ian

Ian. I must say that you are doing a splendid job on the build. The areas you are having difficulties with will be overcome with practice in those areas. On design and tests, these areas were the hardest to get right, but a little bit of trimming and what i like to call "paper torture" {making paper do what it doesn't want to do} these things can be overcome. I know this must be a first for a card model build of this kind of Locomotive, there aren't anymore out there as i know of. I will always strive to upgrade and improve my designs, and when possible, add more models to the list. Time and Health decide how and when these things happen. Looking great Ian ! Regards. Pete.

sticking to shapes that card can do helps :) I also find that laminating the sides from many layers makes for a very strong structure, and allows for lots of detal

all the models are designed on the computer first, then cut out. the computer gives me the accuracy; also i am too impatient to draw things out lots of times...

Y6 tram loco

Brake van and salt wagon

bodmin And wadebridge 2nd class

• Like 1

sticking to shapes that card can do helps :) I also find that laminating the sides from many layers makes for a very strong structure, and allows for lots of detal

all the models are designed on the computer first, then cut out. the computer gives me the accuracy; also i am too impatient to draw things out lots of times...

Im impressed, lovely bit of modeling as are all the models in this thread.Think i will be moving on from just card buildings sometime in near future :)

Tel

thank you - this is only way i can afford to model in O gauge...

the loco used some plasticard, and the buffers were bought - but it is mostly card.

on the wagons, the bolts are peco track pins, cut off inside, the buffers are brass picture pins, with paper heads, the shanks thickened with stcky labels.

the axelboxes etc are all card, stiffened with superglue. not as strong as whitemetal, but much stronger than you think - and - to be honest, how strong does it need to be? if you arent going to abuse it, it probably doesn't need to be strong enough to withstand a nuclear blast.... that said, some of these have bounced well. :)

the couplers are bought, as are the wheels. have been tempted by trying card wheels. anyone tried? any luck? i know it has been done in the 50s/60s

thinking maybe the baseboard should be card too? keep the theme going.....

Edited by cornamuse

the loco used some plasticard, and the buffers were bought - but it is mostly card.

on the wagons, the bolts are peco track pins, cut off inside, the buffers are brass picture pins, with paper heads, the shanks thickened with stcky labels.

the axelboxes etc are all card, stiffened with superglue. not as strong as whitemetal, but much stronger than you think - and - to be honest, how strong does it need to be? if you arent going to abuse it, it probably doesn't need to be strong enough to withstand a nuclear blast.... that said, some of these have bounced well. :)

the couplers are bought, as are the wheels. have been tempted by trying card wheels. anyone tried? any luck? i know it has been done in the 50s/60s

i'll have to remember some of those tips,love to try o gauge sometime but like you this only way i would be able to afford it at present.

There was a model program on a good few years back,cant remember what it was called but their was a chap on making gauge 1 and bigger traction engines and think tender engines nearly completely out of card even the traction engine wheels. What he did was laminate the card to get the thickness's he wanted and used shellac to harden it.

You couldnt tell the difference between them and ones built and engineered out of metal. Think he said people used to stand open mouthed when he picked them up and put them under his arm, usually it takes a couple of guys and a transit van / trailer. He could carry three or four just in his car.Just limited by their size.

His also said couldnt see point building something if only for show out of metal, ,he had done metal previously but could produce a lot more for the time they would require building and for a lot less money.

Wish could remember what program or chap was called.

Tel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow! This really has opened my eyes to what card can do, I'm full of admiration.

I totally agree on how strong card can be made, even shellac can turn a piece of Packeto-Cornoflako into an 'engineerable' product, and as for super-glue, I use it on the corners of all my roof structure coverings by applying it to the 1/2" around each corner, preventing delamination and damage during the rest of the build.

Thank you for the 'heads-up',

Doug