Mk1 coach lengths

Coldgunner

• RMweb Premium

I've just added another farish Mk1 to my merseyside express set and noticed that the new Mk1 coach is a little longer, do Mk1's come in varying lengths? I'm a little confused, theres about 10mm difference.

Hi

There are as far as I am aware only two lengths of MK1 stock, 57ft and 64ft 6".

I would have thought it unusual to include either a GUV or BG in the Merseyside Express set which as far as I can remember are the only 57ft MK1 coaches Farish produce.

Cheers

Paul

I would have thought it unusual to include either a GUV or BG in the Merseyside Express set which as far as I can remember are the only 57ft MK1 coaches Farish produce.

Apart from the Suburbons, though of course as has been pointed out the set in fact comes with Stanier's rather than MK1's.

The Mk 1s combined the steel bodies of the LMS 57ft designs with the 64ft length of the Bullied coaches.

Most of the pre-war Staniers didn't have steel bodies but sheet steel external panels on a wood frame, though Derby did try all-steel construction on various batches over the years (and bought in from outside contractors like Metropolitan-Cammell). A number of the post-War LMS coach designs were all-streel and Derby did influence the Mk.1 design, particularly the interior fittings. Apart from the length and arrangement, the other significant differences were the curved sides (similar, but not the same as the Bulleids), the 'Pullman' gangways and buck-eye couplers (LNER/SR influence) and the bogies (Swindon). Centre trussing was something Derby had used before on various experimental coaches, particularly articulated stock.

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that as the Stanier's didn't have Pullman standard gangways they'd have been grouped together rather that mixed up with Mk1s as fewer ganway adaptors would be required.

i.e. where ever possible you'd have Stanier-Stanier-Mk1-Mk1 rather than Stanier-Mk1-Stanier-Mk1

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

To be honest I don't know, Steven, but I suspect that's the case. The GWR made a policy of fitting gangway adapters to all their new coaches from the late 1930s (when they adopted a more universally acceptable coach profile) but I'm not aware of what LMS policy was on this.

Archived