London Bridge re-development

There was ballast down between platforms 3 and 4 on Friday when I passed through and the new P&C at the West end of platforms 5 and 6 was also partially installed. Engineers trains can traverse what will become the Up Thameslink line now that various bits have been joined up between London Bridge and the ramp up to Blackfriars.

Regards,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I believe one of the objectives of the upcoming blockade is to commission platform 6, which will permit two up and two down CX platforms. This will obviate the non-stop rush hour trains.

I have acquired my local lines timetable, from which it would appear that some of the main line trains (via Tonbridge) are terminating at Waterloo (LSWR) station. What route?

Bill

I believe one of the objectives of the upcoming blockade is to commission platform 6, which will permit two up and two down CX platforms. This will obviate the non-stop rush hour trains.

I have acquired my local lines timetable, from which it would appear that some of the main line trains (via Tonbridge) are terminating at Waterloo (LSWR) station. What route?

Bill

Denmark Hill to pick up a pilot then via the former Eurostar route and into the former International station.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycled up to the Prom concert this lunchtime, then came back on Southeastern from Waterloo East.    So the train used platform 6 at London Bridge and went through the Bermondsey flyunder.  The "slow" CX lines have been disconnected, presumably at least one will form the third CS line from New Cross.

Platform 5 at London Bridge (up Thameslink) has track laid, nothing yet on platforms 3 & 4.

Bill

I have now finally got my head out of the paper to notice we used the flyunder on the way up to town this morning. It wasn't any quicker, mind and there were a couple of jolts as the line curved - but then there used to be jolts there before all the work was carried out

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

London Bridge Signal Centre (Signal  Box in real railway language)  what is the schedule for  demolition ?

I think the box needs to go to allow  reinstatement of  two platforms which were removed more than 50 years ago.

Erm, that (any extra platforms) might require some significant expansion of the stations footprint obliterating St Thomas Street

Please remember that the initial phases of the work saw the terminating platforms moved as far south as the viaduct would permit so as to make space for the extra high level ones etc. What was once staff mess rooms and a car park (and presumably the site of the platforms you mention) has now been covered by the terminating platforms which have been pushed as far south as the viaduct footprint and track geometry allows.

Compare http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/pics/tn_gb-londonbridge-station-aerial.jpg with http://c8.alamy.com/comp/S0P734/the-stream-of-night-lights-are-the-railway-lines-at-london-bridge-S0P734.jpg

The only thing the signal box is preventing is a small extension to platform 15 so it can accommodate 12 car trains (currently restricted to 10 though it could probably actually accommodate 11 and a half with the signalling in place for 12)

The signal box itself (which has structural issues) will be demolished when all the signalling has been transferred out of it. The process started during the low level rebuild when that side (and the lines out to Forrest Hill etc) got transferred to the ROC at Three Bridges. There was a further change last Winter when Charing Cross, Cannon Street and the area close to the high level side got moved over to the ROC - but signals towards Bermondsey (kent lines)and thereafter were still controlled from London Bridge. With the commissioning of various lines at Bermondsey recently more signalling has migrated into the ROC but as far as I know the likes of Lewisham, Hither Green etc. are still in the box at London Bridge at present. This remaining stuff will gradually be recontrolled to Three bridges ROC over the next year leaving the box empty of signalling control functions. There then may be a further peroids of stripping out other bits and bobs (say telecoms links, etc before the building can be removed.

One easy giveaway is to look at the signal Id plates. Anything still controlled by the London Bridge box will be prefixed "L". Anything controlled from Three Bridges ROC gets the "TL" prefix This picture https://www.railengineer.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TL02.jpg  shows the low level lines on the left with "TL signals" while the signal on the right is (despite being new and on a new gantry) still controlled by London Bridge box ("L) prefix

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had a trip to London and as we went on a Thameslink south from Blackfriars we crossed the lines from Borough Market to Charing Cross.  Both tracks had engineering trains on them (Looking towards London Bridge) and the northernmost line had at least two sets of the point carrying wagons with pre assembled concrete sleepered pointwork on them. Does anyone know which junction was being relayed.  

Just out of interest.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Not really sure.  I think Metropolitan Junc. is finished, can't be platform 3 at London Bridge because there is a Cannon Street service today.  Well there better be, I'm off to catch one later!

Bill

There were Cannon Street Services yesterday from East Croydon so I presume it was something on the Charing Cross line from Borough Market.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

They are reinstating double track access to Blackfriars for Thameslink trains; perhaps the point work had something to do with this?

I wondered if it was that junction as it seemed to be the most likely suspect.

Thanks.

Jamie

They were the last points needed to complete the junctionwork between Borough Market viaduct and Blackfriars - the ones linking the two Charing Cross lines with the new Thameslink lines. The points on the Up (?) Thameslink were put in during a previous blockade and last weekend put in the links onto the Charing Cross lines.

From observations I would say there are now just two lines on the Eastern approach to London Bridge that need to be laid for the trackwork to be 'complete' bar ballasting and laying of conductor rail. Signalling equipment is also being installed on the new Thameslink lines.

Regards,

Dan

Archived