Heljan Class 16

Sulzer

I am with you here....this is getting nonsensical. We haven't got a decent Warship orig or later, 06, 07, 24/25 could do with a rethink? 40, 55? 67, 81,2,3,4,7 90 92 101 104 110 121 122 mk 2 aircon etc etc etc Get your fingers out and give people what they want!! And I speak as an unashamed Heljan fan. Counting the locos in the Airthrey Park fleet we have more Danish than Chinese! Si

Well....as a 7mm pre-Group modeller, if it actually came about (and I'm not holding my breath) I'd buy a 00 Cl.16 but none of the above. Make of that what you will...

Class 125 DMU anyone? :angel:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Huntley 35mm compilations. IIRC it says on the vid that it was a regular 16 turn as it was very lightly loaded and didn't cause much in the way of problems if the loco failed.

It is very odd that the engine modifications that were carried out to the class 15's engines wern't done to the 16s. It might have made them more reliable although they used far inferior electrics compared to the 15s. The 15s did become reliable if smokey locos after the mods. According to Richard Carr of the paxman heritage website there was no reason for the smoke, the engines were just set up wrong!

I think the Paxman engine could rev up fast than the turbo's, so the mixture was a bit fuel rich until the turbo lag was overcome. This led to them filling railway yards with black smoke.

I think the Paxman engine could rev up fast than the turbo's, so the mixture was a bit fuel rich until the turbo lag was overcome. This led to them filling railway yards with black smoke.

That was part of the problem as theres no provision for reducing the injection quantity whilst the turbos are off boost. They were prone to smoking (not as badly) when under load too.

Edited by D605Eagle

If you want a limited run model, there is one that makes the fell look positivly windspread in it`s use. Try the ner number 13 electric. Compaired to this, the 16 was positivly widespread. Compaired to the 76, the 16 got further that these bo bo electrics.

cheesysmith

Compaired to the 76, the 16 got further that these bo bo electrics.

Debatable, that, really. The 76s were massively longer-lived, and therefore their mileage-run knocks the Deathmasks into a cocked hat.

Additionally, the 76s were the signature traction for a self-contained network (the other WR!) that has commanded a huge following down the decades, made even more important by the fact tthat they were doomed by a politically-driven closure, whereas the 16s died of natural causes in a fairly generic swathe of the Smoke, where they achieved nothing greater than bit-part or walk-on status in an era where steam was still the principal focus of interest.

• Like 5

Guest Max Stafford

You could argue the same of the Baby Deltics, mate but they've still gone down a storm.

That said, thanks to earlier posters for telling me what I really want...

Dave.

• Like 2

I can't see because they where not a successful design is a reason not to be modelled. They where part of the BR scene for 10 years and didn't always sit around doing nothing in that time, they worked the less arduous cross London freights, visiting every BR region in that area even worked on the Scottish region on trials. Thankfully Heljan have taken the decision to produce the pilot scheme locos otherwise it would be unlikely the people who do want them and can use them would have a RTR version and be stuck with some rather dubious kits.

• Like 4

I say - have a care, sir! We have a member called 10800 who may be offended, which would be a pity, as he's jointly building the Ouse Valley Viaduct, a structure we might admire.

On consulting with my lawyers, I've been asked to point out that it was locomotive 10800 that I implied to be at the bottom of said barrel and not member 10800 whose Ouse Valley Viaduct looks quite good.

No problem chaps, no offence taken, and thanks for the nice words about the viaduct.

As for the Class 16, unconfirmed rumour or not I wouldn't be able to resist one if produced. Quirky things, I saw all of them from my bedroom window whilst they were working transfer freights to and from Hither Green. And as BD pointed out, I could run one across the viaduct with justification!

Seeing as the Class 16 is just the latest in a raft of announcements of slightly obscure, quirky North British built locos (D600 Warship and Class 22), can we now have another quirky, unsuccessful, limited field of operation, NBL built type - the AL4? At least one of them made it to the NRM!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it is simply wonderful that we get offered these obscure locos in RTR. These had been turned into saucepans before BR invented Sectors! I share the veiw that whatever their reputation, the BTH and NBL Type 1s - that's classes 15 & 16 in NewSpeak - were very visible in their daily travails. Even though I didn't get very far on Eastern Region in my skoolboy gricing days, I managed to cop about one third of each class. They are attractive and different from successors, so make a nice change. May all the runs sell out.

• Like 3

For anyone visiting the Warley/ NEC expo today, you don't need to ask the Norse about the lovely irresistible Class 16 - I didn't realise for about ten minutes I'd been staring at the announcement banner 'New for 2012 - Class 16 Diesel Locomotive' hidden in plain view - Doh!

I'm still not completely convinced though and I'm amazed they lasted ten years. By the way, I'm sure I've seen some video footage of one of these oddities, can't remember if it was on a Huntley compilation or possibly an East Anglian Film Archive video. I'm sure it was on one of the Suffolk branches and it was something filmed either for the BBC or Anglia TV, not a BTF. Good excuse to have a rummage through the video collection if nothing else.

There is a super piece of very clear 35mm footage (albeit short) on the DVD ‘Diesel & Electric 1 & 2’ narrated by John Huntley. As he says himself, it’s difficult to find a good photo of this beast, let alone some actual film of one. It’s hauling a short freight train along the Kensington Olympia line, I think. As I am in the process of starting my Buntingford branch project, this news is right up my strasse, yet again, great news Heljan!

I'm still not completely convinced though and I'm amazed they lasted ten years.

They lasted ten years because the overriding national priority was to replace steam, and it was felt that there was work for even the less brilliant diesel types. It took until around 1967/68 for the National Traction Plan to be able to rationalise the diesel fleet and to identify surpluses.

it’s difficult to find a good photo of this beast

Green Diesel Days - Derek Huntriss p.69 there's a good colour rear 3/4 shot of D8406 coupled up to the front bonnet of another unidentified 16.

As I am in the process of starting my Buntingford branch project...

My favourite branch line! BTW, opposite the above photo of D8406 is a colour shot of D8236 at Liverpool St. on 6th October 1962 with the RCTS railtour which was photographed later in the day at Mardock and reproduced in Peter Paye's book.

Many of the Pilot Scheme diesels spent their entire lives in the steam-era but I'll bet the majority of purchasers are buying them to ruin with their other diesels.

Agreed Larry, but steam was expunged from the GE lines in 1962 and even earlier from many of the branch lines (for example, summer 1959 on the Bunt) so the NBL type 1s spent very little of their short lives in the company of proper locos steam engines.

• Like 1

Green Diesel Days - Derek Huntriss p.69 there's a good colour rear 3/4 shot of D8406 coupled up to the front bonnet of another unidentified 16.

My favourite branch line! BTW, opposite the above photo of D8406 is a colour shot of D8236 at Liverpool St. on 6th October 1962 with the RCTS railtour which was photographed later in the day at Mardock and reproduced in Peter Paye's book.

Many thanks, I'll have to get hold of a copy. I have the Paye book (my bible) on the subject. I used to live quite close to the line but alas, only after it had closed although I've walked along part of the track bed near Braughing. Not for this topic I know but I wonder if Heljan are still planning to produce the Wickham Railbus that was tested on the line before they went to Scotland? I also have a DVD of 'The Bunt' that was produced a while back and that has some very grainy film of a drvers cab view facing along the 'long end' of a NBL 1.