Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway art, show us your work :-)

M Graff

• 10 months later...

Nice work.  I see you have some Prismacolor.  They lay down well and are easy to blend but quite hard to sharpen.  I have a set of Prismacolor Verithins which are much harder and sharpen well but less dense.  I tend to use a mix of both plus Artstix which are just solid core material and good for covering large areas.

• Like 1

Many years ago when I should have been studying for my exams I would take a break from the books by drawing or sketching. I tried pencil, pens and watercolours at various stages, just to have a go.

The 'Original' here is an ink pen on tracing. I knew I wanted a sepia finish and there would be a lot of black, which would have seriously taken a mind-numbing about of time and would have crumpled the paper. So I used a technique where red / orange film comes out black when run through a dyeline printer (used in architectural and engineering offices).

1289752606_c.1978SteamTrain(Tracing).jpg.0deea54804f7ee7d1080d360ac14edf1.jpg

When it is printed in a Dyeline printer with sepia paper this is what you get. Tones have faded on the paper over time and the edges between the ink and film is just about noticeable now, but when I did this back in the late 70s it looked better.

972027958_c.1978SteamTrain(Dye-linePrint).jpg.b0a180526d8236264749f9d2887b393d.jpg

Taking the photo of the drawing into Photoshop to tidy it up it looks better (I should have really scanned the original print, not used a photo of it).

175486714_c.1978SteamTrain(Dye-linePrint)tidiedup.jpg.3831948cb42fc1a3d11dbb16d4f82007.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:03, Jeff Smith said:

Nice work.  I see you have some Prismacolor.  They lay down well and are easy to blend but quite hard to sharpen.  I have a set of Prismacolor Verithins which are much harder and sharpen well but less dense.  I tend to use a mix of both plus Artstix which are just solid core material and good for covering large areas.

Thank you :-)   I like using waxy pencils - indeed Prismacolor are the best I have found.  I am not keen on Verithins - they are too hard for me.  I started with Karisma pencils but they went out of business a few years ago, which is a shame.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I see you are the OP on this thread. All I can say is .....WOW. I cannot offer "constructive criticism" because I am in awe of your talents & skill. Please keep on making us offerings that we can only be amazed by.

In Respect

Kendo54

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not exactly railway, but still steam. It’s a pencil drawn Babcock boiler, labeled “Women’s Suffrage” as we had to do a drawing  for school relating to the subject. The supposed to be genderless individual firing the boiler is labeled “Seneca Falls”, after the famous suffrage convention of that name. 

Douglas

A5D7264B-0D75-46E6-A7EA-191EE85B7383.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...  The supposed to be genderless individual firing the boiler is labeled “Seneca Falls”, after the famous suffrage convention of that name.

Douglas

HE looks quite MALE to me. Especially the head and THE HAT!

• Agree 1