Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Just been watching that brilliant "Blue Pullman" film again.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, and it's the first time I've noticed it, but watch carefully in the final shots after arrival at St Pancras. The leading power car has BLUE seats whilst the adjoining kitchen car has RED seats. This leads me to believe that the colour of the seating alternated between adjoining cars, rather than a half set having seats all one colour.

Need to do a little more delving I think.

Any comments on this?

Yes, thats the way I beleive they were built. What we never knew was which car had which colour seats. Until now that is. On page 16 of Kevin Robertsons new book "Blue Pullman Pictorial" there's a photo of kitchen car 60733 with the following stencelled on the rubbing beam - Train 2, Type 4, Scheme 1, which translates to Set 2/3, kitchen car, red seats/blue carpets.Therefore, the full set would then be

Power Car 60092 Red Seats

Kitchen Car 60732 Blue Seats

Parlour Car 60742 Red Seats

Parlour Car 60743 Blue Seats

Kitchen Car 60733 Red Seats

Power Car 60093 Blue Seats

As for whether set 0/1 was the same way round or the opposite we still don't know .

Just read MreMag, according to a couple of contributors, Lord and Butler of Cardiff ahve commissioned a limited run of reverse grey/blue sets with m.u. cables. Also available sound-fitted. Not mentioned on their website yet, Perhaps a phone call from someone could clarify?

cheers,Peter C.

Just read MreMag, according to a couple of contributors, Lord and Butler of Cardiff ahve commissioned a limited run of reverse grey/blue sets with m.u. cables. Also available sound-fitted. Not mentioned on their website yet, Perhaps a phone call from someone could clarify?

cheers,Peter C.

I hope this won't stop Bachmann producing a proper run of the blue/grey ones.

• RMweb Premium

I hope this won't stop Bachmann producing a proper run of the blue/grey ones.

If what's been said recently in a different thread - can't remember which I'm afraid - is true, Bachmann will only have agreed to a retailer L/E (so around 500 models) if they don't think there will be enough demand for a standard release of around 3000 models. If that's true pretty much across the board, then Bachmann are very unlikely to produce a standard release later because a large part of the market will already be satisfied by the l/E. They would be announcing it themselves if they thought the demand was there...

• RMweb Gold

ADVICE REQUIRED.

My layout has a Gaugemaster ordinary transformer (not a feedback one) &  Relco track cleaners..

IF i remove the chips in the power cars will it be safe to run with RELCO on?

Yes, but you may find you will need to source some plugs to fit in the sockets in place of the decoders, enabling normal DC control. I am not clear whether these are supplied with the BP.

Yes, but you may find you will need to source some plugs to fit in the sockets in place of the decoders, enabling normal DC control. I am not clear whether these are supplied with the BP.

I think I remember seeing blanking plugs in mine (I haven't had it out of the box for a while).

All of the other DCC fitted Bachmann locos and DMUs I have were supplied with them, even the 150 in the DCC trainset.

Many thanks Gents.Cant wait too unbox my BP..Anybody got a cure for a screaming Hornby 08 (2009).Have changed the bearing.Loathe to change the motor..Is it an alighnment issue ?

OT, but check that the (square) bearings supporting the worm drive are a tight fit in the gear housing. Looseness here causes vibration and noise. I used insulation tape to make them a snug fit.

N

• RMweb Gold

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but my understanding of the Lord and Butler blue/grey version is that it is a repaint, not an official Bachmann LE production for them.

Was in the shop on Sunday talking to them about it. They had one to hand. Yep its a repaint - but you would never know, super job, subtle weathering on the one I saw and yes with jumpers.

Brian at Howes has also re-done the sound chip for them, proper Welsh announcements (for the up train!)

Also Dapol Whizzo to hand - great to see that in the flesh.

Phil

I certainly do not mind,Ray. You are a practical and helpful 'guru' for us all and whenever you post,I,for one,sit up and take notice. Regards,Ian.

Ian - I have been trying out a new camera so there is now an

of the Blue Pullman on my layout!

Ray

PS Since this is an HD video it might not play smoothly on some computers.

8441628784_1f4e538092_c.jpg
Blue Pullman Marshfield Mon. 4.4.73 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

8441628426_3a36c20c61_c.jpg
Blue Pullman Southall Stn. 3.72 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

8440536069_8064924554_c.jpg
Blue Pullman passes Southall Castle 3.72 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

8441625258_c65e50f210_c.jpg
Blue Pullman Cardiff Central 22.7.69 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

8441626512_6495b2e8a8_c.jpg
Blue Pullman Royal Oak 3.72 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

8440534283_b03df7c0fd_c.jpg
Blue Pullman Paddington 3.72 by George of Dufton, on Flickr