Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Im going to get one of these now i think, Holt Model Railways has the cheapest ive seen, £245. I have one of the tri ang versions, i made it a four car set by buying an extra centre car, i think i will be selling it to help fund the Bachmann one, it runs very well for the age of it, although all unboxed and transfers coming off. Wouldn't know how much it would sell for however, anyone got any ideas?

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while. Release is some time away. Good price ,though, for a pre-release order.

The appropriate section from "British Railways (Western Region) Mulitple Unit Diesel Pullman Trains" booklet, dated September 1960:

"each train will display the appropriate headcode only by means of white discs by day, or electric headlamps during darkness or fog or falling snow. Three positions are provided, one over each buffer and one in the centre. Coloured discs are provided for the purposes stated below:-

Three Blue (steel) - for blanking out any lamp position

One Red (translucent) - for working in wrong direction in emergency

Two White (opaque) - for use in daylight.

For passenger service the headcode to be displayed will be Class 1, i.e., one white disc or light over each buffer; for empty carriage workings, Class 3, i.e., one over the right-hand buffer (in the direction of movement) and one in the centre"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to check, and having looked at the dates, the Midland sets did run on the GWML in Nankin Blue without full yellow ends? My research suggests that they did manage to make it across without the awful yellow ends.

There is a photo near the back of Kevin Robertson's book of a 6-car BP still in original condition on the WR. Unfortunately the notes do no provide much information on what it was doing so I don't know if it was in revenue-earning service at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I see they chickened out of mounting the lamps to the wall like the real ones. Of course, had the train's designers had their way there wouldn't be any of those 'fussy' lights at all. The tooling looks superb. Will they pick out the rubber beading round the windows in black?

I'm frantically building a Kitmaster Midland Pullman rake, so as to have it completed before Bachmann do. (So that I won't be tempted)!

I finally got the full set running smoothly with close-coupling this afternoon.

I see they chickened out of mounting the lamps to the wall like the real ones.

Well - I've had mine cast with integral nickel silver stems - but they won't work!

Will they pick out the rubber beading round the windows in black?

I will, using a black marker on the raised Kitmaster beading, and add the central window guides for the venetian blinds; (no sign of them yet on the Bachmann version - but they'll probably print those).

Will they remember the vertical 'periscopes' next to the guards windows?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived