North Devon in 4mm working title Devesham

lakeview770

• RMweb Gold

Now that my HO scale US layout is gone and stock sold I now have a small space to build a small British OO layout. My job over the last few years has brought me to the UK on many visits and I have fallen in love with the railways of the UK.

After much drawing and redrawing I finally decided upon a plan that fits my needs. I love steam whether its from Kazakhstan or Kingston. My visits tothe UK introduced me to the railways in the West of England and its that what I decided to model. The plan I chose is that of the closed Barnstaple Victoria Rd station. As often the case Ive tinkered with history slightly in that the station is ex Southern and connects with the ex GWR instead of the other way around. Traffic and stock is to be what is generally found on these sort of lines in the West Country so you wont see a Merchant Navy at the head of a crack express. The research has been the hardest part as books are heavy and airlines these days have cut back luggage allowance that a couple of books can easily push you over the weight limit.

One thing I have introduced to the line is that on the ex GWR section (mostly off stage) there is a quarry down the line somewhere but in these time where branches were been run down one of the bridges is in need of serious strengthening thus heavy mineral trains cant be taken to the ex GWR mainline connection this way so they are drawn around to the ex Southern station where they are taken to the mainline via the old Southern line.

DEV-13-7-1940.pdf

Due to space I've compressed the layout at bit and the placing of spurs and turnouts is mostly guess work I have some Peco templates to print out and do a rough placements to see what works. My goal is to get the station on to the first 2 baseboards both measuring 3 feet by 8 feet and the third board which is 3feet 6 inches by 10 feet with house the junction and have the ex GWR staging area connected to it. The remaining baseboards have yet to be built but these will give my about another 20 feet of single track running to the ex SR staging, with the possibility of a small station to break up the run??

post-8483-0-13074800-1321847426_thumb.png

post-8483-0-33995200-1321847515_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any ideas as to some of the stock I should purchase please feel free to advise, at the moment I have 3 locos ( 1x 45xx and 2 ex SR N class)

The baseboards are made of 3/4 inch plywood with a flat top (boards 1 and 2) covered on DOW blue foam topped with 1/8 inch ply and board 3 is made using the L girder method to allow undulating countryside. The track is on its way as is the cork so something should be happening by Christmas

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Your plans look pretty good to me - but I'm not an expert on planning! I do live about 6 miles from Barnstaple though - but there's not much railway related stuff at victoria road to photograph now - one building remains (as far as I can see). Its a good step to post on here as I'm sure there are lots of people who can help with prototype information.

I've decided to attempt a version of Barnstaple junction around my garage. I don't have as much room as you - but if I did I'd never finish it!

I'll watch with interest.

Cheers,

James

Hi, looks to be an interesting project you have, You may want to view the threads on Torrington & Treneglos on here as they are layouts that depict steam running on the Southern 'Withered Arm' which is what sounds like you want to do. In view of what may have run into those stations, T9, M7, West Country's from the Southern, and from the GWR Praries, Panniers, Diesel Railcars, Moguls, and possibly using Manors and counties for the bigger passenger trains. Will continue to watch your progress on this.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

A very interesting project. I also live near Barnstaple and pass the old station quite frequently - not that there is much left! If helpful, I will get some photos for you - the goods shed is the only remaining building and quite a large building (now in use as a church). The linking bridge across the River Taw to Barnstaple Junction is still used - a footpath / cycle way and would make a great model.

Keep us updated.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys and thank you, Ive taken a walk around the area on google maps, wow the modern age a site survey from 7500 miles away and back in time for dinner.

post-8483-0-78271700-1321883257_thumb.jpg

I assume this is the old station wall and entrance? or is it too new

Edited by lakeview770

• RMweb Gold

Hi, looks to be an interesting project you have, You may want to view the threads on Torrington & Treneglos on here as they are layouts that depict steam running on the Southern 'Withered Arm' which is what sounds like you want to do. In view of what may have run into those stations, T9, M7, West Country's from the Southern, and from the GWR Praries, Panniers, Diesel Railcars, Moguls, and possibly using Manors and counties for the bigger passenger trains. Will continue to watch your progress on this.

Colin

Thanks Ive been following the Torrington post with interest for quite a while, trouble is theres too many choices and it took me ages to find something I thought was right. Having visited the West Somerset Railway I really took a liking to Minehead in steam days and then there was Dulverton, Padstow and Swanage to name a few but I eventually was taken by Barnstaple.

Andrew

In view of what may have run into those stations, T9, M7, West Country's from the Southern, and from the GWR Praries, Panniers, Diesel Railcars, Moguls, and possibly using Manors and counties for the bigger passenger trains.

Colin

Southern 'N' Class Moguls will hopefully appear - not sure about Manors and Counties from the GWR, unless the GWR line is going to be built to Kingswear Branch standards though.

• RMweb Gold

My previous comment looks to have vanished so I'll have another go! Very nice overall idea and a good track plan and only one minor niggle as there should be a trap point for the Back Road/Shed sRoad before the join the running line.

And 'Counties'?? - they were one of the more heavily route restricted Western 4-6-0s so hardly likely to appear in this backwater I'd have thought.

• RMweb Gold

Its a shame some of the bigger locos can't travel on the line as one of the things I wanted was a 2800 class but as far as I have found out they're too heavy for this type of line. I did say I was only using the track plan of Barnstaple and basing everything else off the rural lines of Devon. Not sure about about Kingswear standards as I've never seen Kingswear in BR times.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Its a shame some of the bigger locos can't travel on the line as one of the things I wanted was a 2800 class but as far as I have found out they're too heavy for this type of line.

Andrew

Modellers licence rule no 54, 'it's my railway ' . :pleasantry: ;)

Edited by Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Premium

Basically , if you like it run it , myself and a mate are doing a GWR based layout set for the end of the 1930's ,

City of Truro , Great Bear , De Glen , Scot Atlantic , all will be sen in service at some time despite them all

being long gone by then .

We are building for our pleasure , not to say this is how it was on the 57th of a particular month ,

as long as it's green and says Great Western on the side thats good enough . :D

Looking forward to seeing this project develop , not enough GWR folks on here .

Cheers .

• RMweb Gold

Its a shame some of the bigger locos can't travel on the line as one of the things I wanted was a 2800 class but as far as I have found out they're too heavy for this type of line. I did say I was only using the track plan of Barnstaple and basing everything else off the rural lines of Devon. Not sure about about Kingswear standards as I've never seen Kingswear in BR times.

Andrew

The Barnstaple line was Route Restriction Yellow which limits your choice of power quite severely, for instance even 57XX panniers were barred in such lines until 1950 (but unrebuilt 'West Country' were permitted). Minehead was Blue but some Blue classes were barred - including 28/38XX and 78XX 'Manors' so the GW North Somerset/Devon branches were never host to much in the way of larger engines. But your world can take a different tack quite cheerfully although you still might want a certain atmosphere and wish to avoid the largest locos by perhaps going for Blue and allowing 'Manors' and 28/38XX?

Not sure about about Kingswear standards as I've never seen Kingswear in BR times.

Andrew

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. The Torbay Branchline to Kingswear was built to a standard which permitted the use of the heaviest of ex-GWR locomotives i.e. the King Class, and the last few miles of this branchline were only single track.

I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you running what you like, as long as you have your "licence" on display, although I would infer from your OP remarks that if Merchant Navy Class locos are out perhaps some of the larger GW locos might be similarly "disqualified"

I see you have already got the Southern N class moguls covered in your loco stud - I didn't spot that first time around.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. The Torbay Branchline to Kingswear was built to a standard which permitted the use of the heaviest of ex-GWR locomotives i.e. the King Class, and the last few miles of this branchline were only single track.

I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you running what you like, as long as you have your "licence" on display, although I would infer from your OP remarks that if Merchant Navy Class locos are out perhaps some of the larger ex GW locos might be similarly "disqualified"

I see you have already got the Southern N class moguls covered in your loco stud - I didn't spot that first time around.

Yes I think having a Castle, King or Merchant Navy pulling a 3 to 4 coach train in would look like a bit of overkill although I am aware the S&D had 9F's with 3 on in latter days Mr sledgehammer meet mr walnut. I am a big fan of the light pacifics though, and as the branch is fictitious I could justify it (Bude, Padstow and Swanage come to mind). I must admit the more I research the more I swing to the ex GWR who knows I may just spilt it 50/50. I plant to have 3 or 4 locos from each of the 2 regions working the line rather than have 1 or 2 of everything.

One of the lines I looked at originally was the Kingsbridge branch ( due to a relative loosing their life at Slapton during WWII) but again been so far away info was hard to find.

This is where I was getting track plans from to get an idea

Andrew

Edited by lakeview770

One of the lines I looked at originally was the Kingsbridge branch ( due to a relative loosing their life at Slapton during WWII) but again been so far away info was hard to find.

This is where I was getting track plans from to get an idea

Andrew

Apologies if you already know of this site, but www.old-maps.co.uk might be a good resource for you, as it has a selection of maps for most areas of the U.K.to 1:2500 and 1:10,560 scales usually from the 1880's to the present and it is fairly intuitive to use and pleasant hours can be wasted just browsing the site

• RMweb Gold

Been having a think over the last few days and I wouldnt mind pre dating my original time frame to just before WWII. My only concern is repaining the 2 N class locos I have would they be black with sunshine lettering in 1939?

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Well got the first two baseboards built and the first one is in place. Each board is 34 inches deep and 8 feet long. The backscene is formed masonite and is 12 inches high, I am not sure if I want higher a backscenes yet as I may want to operate from the rear.

The board in the picture is the black sheep as its made from 1x4 yellow wood and topped 21/32 oak plywood whereas the other boards are 21/32 oak ply excluding legs. I have yet to add the bracing to the legs as this will also form part of a shelf system under the layout.

Track is ordered cork is ordered all I need now is a few days off after Christmas and things should move on a bit.

Still thinking of moving the layout to the 1930's and have just found out the Heljan turntable )Walthers here in the USA) is a bit too big for my layout which kind of throws a spanner in the works with my plan although like all good plans I have a plan B, my original second and third choices which were Compton on the DN&SR and Uxbridge Vine Street.

post-8483-0-25762400-1322530316_thumb.jpg

post-8483-0-29852700-1322530673_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bump! Just discovered this thread whilst trying to find pics of Barnstaple (Victoria Rd) engine shed on google. I think Barnstaple is a great station to model, nice to see you included the engine shed on your design, as a lot of the track layouts I've found are all from the later period where this was removed. I have some OS maps of the area circa 1939 where there are other interesting track features that got removed. That will be my ultimate layout if I every get round to building it!

I'd be interested to know far far you got with this? 

If anyone has any ideas as to some of the stock I should purchase please feel free to advise, at the moment I have 3 locos ( 1x 45xx and 2 ex SR N class)

Great Western Railway Journal No 42 Spring 2002 had an excellent 26-page article on this station with great photographs and details of operation. 63XX Moguls and 2251 Class 0-6-0's were certainly used on the line.

Gary Johnson at

www.britishrailwaybooks.co.uk

obtained a copy for me about four years ago.

Regards,

Adrian

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2016 at 00:59, adriank said:

Great Western Railway Journal No 42 Spring 2002 had an excellent 26-page article on this station with great photographs and details of operation. 63XX Moguls and 2251 Class 0-6-0's were certainly used on the line.

It took 3 years, but I finally got hold of GWRJ 42. That is a cracking article in there! Thank you very much for the tip.