Special Trains on the Waverley Route

'CHARD

Not a special train as such, but a notable diversion featuring D9010, un-named, about to head for Hexham, on 1A39, April 25th, '64.

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=37707

Just going back to this one for a mo gents if I may.... with regard to the diversions off the ECML via Carlisle etc, were there regular turns this way for Scottish and Newcastle crews to retain their route knowledge, similar to Western and Southern men signing both routes between Exeter and Dawish when the Seawall was under attack from stormy waters...?

(Cards on the table time..... once again I am being craftily sucked in and seduced by the 'other' WR's charms.... despite Dapol's GWR Railcar now in the offing I just know that at some point, I will end up buying a D11, an A1, an A3 or a GSYP Class 26 to, shall we say, test the waters. It was bad enough having a telling off this morning from SWMBO for accidentally putting David Cross's Waverley book into her shopping basket for future perusal.... is this all going to end in tears chaps, or should I just admit defeat and start scetching sweeping vista style layout ideas which are a million miles away from Old Oak, Swindon and Penzance...? ;) )

• Like 1

Just going back to this one for a mo gents if I may.... with regard to the diversions off the ECML via Carlisle etc, were there regular turns this way for Scottish and Newcastle crews to retain their route knowledge, similar to Western and Southern men signing both routes between Exeter and Dawish when the Seawall was under attack from stormy waters...?

(Cards on the table time..... once again I am being craftily sucked in and seduced by the 'other' WR's charms.... despite Dapol's GWR Railcar now in the offing I just know that at some point, I will end up buying a D11, an A1, an A3 or a GSYP Class 26 to, shall we say, test the waters. It was bad enough having a telling off this morning from SWMBO for accidentally putting David Cross's Waverley book into her shopping basket for future perusal.... is this all going to end in tears chaps, or should I just admit defeat and start scetching sweeping vista style layout ideas which are a million miles away from Old Oak, Swindon and Penzance...? ;) )

Don't fight it. Resistance is futile....

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Oh, we've got him boys!

D.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that Brush "Kestrel" ran over the line? I remember being taken out to near Millerhill (the top of the hill on the A68 bridge) and waiting for it. It must have been early as we waited - with cameras - for about an hour. No joy!

Bruce

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Definitely. That would be the Queen of Scots. Wonder if it's going via Carlisle or Kelso though?

Dave.

That would have been pretty much the standard style for late summer 1948.

1948 flood diversion I presume.

Bernard

Precisely my thinking. Another picture that tells a fantastic story. The Eildons provide a gorgeous setting for this railway.

• 2 weeks later...

Another first here, paired B1s taken from the train, curving through Penton:

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=39941

Tour gen here:

http://sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/610709rc.html

Think I may have a ticket from that amongst the collection - will take a look.

From the tour gen it's pretty obvious I'm wrong, but that first vehicle behind the train loco doesn't half look like a BRCW Type 2!

Guest Max Stafford

I can see where you're coming from with that, Matt but I suspect it's the Gresley BG that you see in 'six bells' behind the J37 and No 256.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

That's what I picked up on too. It does beg the question however of when the Wee Sulzers were first recorded at work on the route. It is matter of record that they were re-deployed to 64Bin 1960. Logic suggests they were used for crew training and diagrams elsewhere before reaching the hallowed route and all the photos I've seen seem to indicate a spring 1962 introduction.

Dave.

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic as it's not a special train, but I suppose being a diversion, it was special in its own way.

The usual student train back on a Sunday evening from Hawick to Edinburgh was the DMU sometime after 6 pm. On this Sunday, we were sitting in the DMU in the bay platform at Hawick, when the Area Manager appeared on board and shouted that there was a non-stop for Edinburgh arriving and if we wanted to use it, we had to transfer NOW. I removed to the Down platform to see a train arrive from the south and drawing to a halt was a loco-hauled train.

On a Sunday, the section was Hawick to St Boswells - it may even have been Galashiels - and I expected a speedy trip as it had to clear the section before the DMU would leave ~ somewhat late, so here's the log - the one and only I ever took:

Sunday diversion – Carstairs trains via Hawick. D 168 and 5 coaches Headcode 1S38 which ran non-stop to Waverley from Hawick, leaving Hawick at 6.04.50pm

• Hawick time Hrs.min.sec 18.04.50 Speed 62
  • Hassendean 09.45 Speed 63
  • Standhill 11.30
  • Belses 12.45 Speed 63( for1mile)
  • KelsoJunct 16.43
  • St Boswells 17.00 Speed 65
  • Melrose 20.05
  • Galashiels 23.47
  • Bowland 28.00
  • Stow 31.37
  • Fountainhall 35.45 Speed 64
  • Heriot 39.10 Speed 43
  • Falahill 40.35
  • Tynehead 41.40
  • BorthwickBank 43.40 Speed slow
  • Fushiebridge 45.15 Speed slow
  • Gorebridge 46.20 Speed slow
  • LadyVicPit 48.55 Speed slow
  • Newtongrange 49.45
  • Hardengreen 51.35
  • Eskbank&Dalkeith 51.45 Speed slow
  • Millerhill 54.05 Speed slow
  • Portobello 58.00
  • Craigentinny slow
  • Waverley(stop) Hrs.min.sec 19.02.35

So some 58 minutes Hawick to Edinburgh. Coming down Falahill was an experience as we rocked about.

The amusing upshot was that having arrived early in Edinburgh, I decided to walk back to my flat and not take the bus. I was drenched by an April Shower!

I'm sorry about how this post appears, the formatting of the Word document has gone to pigs and whistles!

This wasn't my fasted trip over the northern end of the line - this was beaten by a Glasgow set - with three stops at Galashiels, Melrose and St Boswells - substituted after our 10.15 Saturday DMU ex-Waverley jumped the points drawing away from the platform. We were transferred to a Glasgow set sitting in one of the through platforms.

Bruce

• Like 2

That's a very interesting recollection, Bruce. Glad you did record it! I don't think we've captured how often the line was used for diversionary purposes, but I get the feeling it was more than most would expect.

By 'Glasgow' DMU set do I dare to infer that was one of the InterCity units, borrowed by control and poked down into the Borders?

By 'Glasgow' DMU set do I dare to infer that was one of the InterCity units, borrowed by control and poked down into the Borders?

Yes, one of those - also used from Hawick, calling at St Boswells, Melrose and Galashiels, during the Trades Holiday for excursions, e.g. to Pitlochry.

Bruce

• Like 1

Yes, one of those - also used from Hawick, calling at St Boswells, Melrose and Galashiels, during the Trades Holiday for excursions, e.g. to Pitlochry.

Bruce

Reading David's book over the past couple of weeks, I'd managed to entrench myself in the view that unenlightened marketing by BR Regional, Area or Local management was responsible for stifling the majority of such special trains. It's obviously a far more complex picture than that - Special Notices and amendments to the Working T/T need scrutiny.

One facet I really hadn't fully appreciated until the book and recent Coaching Stock working instructions came to light, was the reliance on loco-haulage even on what I had naturally assumed were DMU diagrams. This railway would have been a basher's delight. Imagine the variety a week's Freedom of Scotland ticket would have delivered, especially if you raked one of the Dundee - Blackpools in...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A classic - what other line could it be! - http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/ - anyone want to guess the bridge number?

Bridge 92 just south Torwoodlee Tunnel south of the south portal.

roygraham

Er.

Bridge 76 actually Roy south of Bowshank tunnel.

On the drawing board now along with 75 Bowshank north and south portals.

Mac.