Special Trains on the Waverley Route

'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

Why not break this classic out again:

http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/

(and which box did we think this is: http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/ ?)

I'm fairly confident that is crossing just north of St Boswells and to the south of Ravenswood Jcn.

The next shot in sequence on the page is of interest, I would of thought, as it shows the siding complex at Maggies Bing and Bortwick box ahead of the kettle. Others I'm sure would refer to her as the Scotsman although that maybes doesn't quiet rattle your plumbs mate?

Its nice all the same is my point.

Mac.

I'm fairly confident that is crossing just north of St Boswells and to the south of Ravenswood Jcn.

The next shot in sequence on the page is of interest, I would of thought, as it shows the siding complex at Maggies Bing and Bortwick box ahead of the kettle. Others I'm sure would refer to her as the Scotsman although that maybes doesn't quiet rattle your plumbs mate?

Mac.

The trap point work on the exit to the siding is also really interesting, never seen anything like that before.

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The trap point work on the exit to the siding is also really interesting, never seen anything like that before.

Colin

Absolutely Colin.

My assumption would be that given the gradient the trailing points where sprung and the double affair derailed on entry, effectively acting as a set of catches, and the reverse prevented unsecured vehicles from existing?

Conjecture meets pure guess work there I'm afraid so, yeah.

Open to further descriptions please all......

Mac.

• Like 1

Mac.

Maggies Bing? - that one had me scratching my head for a bit before the penny dropped! By coincidence, I walked along here on Friday last and I can report that what appears to be part of the back wall of the box is still standing. I also had a bit of a search around the tip area and there are loads of NBR rail chairs (of different patterns and with dates ranging from 1905 to 1922), mostly still attached to sleepers, to be found in the undergrowth at the northern extremity of the tip. It would probably be worthwhile going again when the vegetation has properly died back but access isn't that easy (probably best gained from the Crichton Castle direction).

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1

I was hoping to get a wander along that way later in the week, weather dependent, so may have a look out for those, Bill. Would be nice to get some more examples for the WRHA rail chair collection.

Matt, give me a call before you set off and I'll explain to you exactly where to look.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maggies Bing? - that one had me scratching my head for a bit before the penny dropped! By coincidence, I walked along here on Friday last and I can report that what appears to be part of the back wall of the box is still standing. I also had a bit of a search around the tip area and there are loads of NBR rail chairs (of different patterns and with dates ranging from 1905 to 1922), mostly still attached to sleepers, to be found in the undergrowth at the northern extremity of the tip. It would probably be worthwhile going again when the vegetation has properly died back but access isn't that easy (probably best gained from the Crichton Castle direction).

Bill

Hi Bill,

I walked and surveyed that section back 2005 and have photos from then on record and added therefore to the WRHA archive.

I don't wish to publicises my email here but I'm sure Bruce or Matt can give you it if you would like to view these items.

I'll forwarded them willingly.

St Margarets Ash Siding I assume is the correct phrase but the enginemen I know referred to it as Maggies Bing?

Mac.

P.s Matt, that goes for you as well.

If Alan gets you that mem stick they're all on there.

Edited by Iain Mac
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A shot of contrasts at Millerhill: new bridge, waning traction, fading technologies....

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

South bound through the old up platform, now just a bank.

Nice 30 mph TSR fishtail displaying the original oil lit discs.

Quality spot.

Working on a few projects just now, should hopefully produce salivation to the W'lites.........

Mac.

Quality spot.

Working on a few projects just now, should hopefully produce salivation to the W'lites.........

Mac.

Interestingly (or perhaps not!), Golden Plover was working "wrong line" as it was photographed passing Whitrope on this excursion - which might account for the eight minutes spent at Riccarton as it regained the Up line.

[edit] as per this eBay ... or ought I say, Colour Rail ... picture http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Riccarton-Roxburgh-Scotland-April-1965-/200832269759?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2ec2893dbf

Bruce

Edited by 62440
  • Like 1

Interestingly (or perhaps not!), Golden Plover was working "wrong line" as it was photographed passing Whitrope on this excursion - which might account for the eight minutes spent at Riccarton as it regained the Up line.

Bruce

The cine footage shows it slowing (crossing over?) at Shankend working wrong line, due to (it says) p-way works further up the bank.

Hi all,

I realise this is the same train as a negative I purchased a number of years ago and I originally had on Fotpoc but had it with the wrong location, this train bugs me a bit as I did not recognise the location as St Boswells of the other photo of this train when asked by Bruce.

Added to Flickr:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/8150694665/in/photostream

Regards David

• Like 1

Quality spot.

Mac.

Come on Iain, less of the anachronistic acronyms please, it was a PWS back in the sixties, not a TSR!

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Time for a familiar then and an alien now:

then: http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/

now: http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=40919

Popped up there on Monday for a wander, which wasn't the best, followed by a visit to nearby Crichton Castle which is an amazing place, especially when there's not another soul around and it's blue skies & sunshine.

Gonna go to Borthwick again next time I'm home, when hopefully I won't be doing an impression of the Pied Piper of Bovine, leading hundreds of cattle everywhere I go - as happened the other day!

Popped up there on Monday for a wander, which wasn't the best, followed by a visit to nearby Crichton Castle which is an amazing place, especially when there's not another soul around and it's blue skies & sunshine.

Gonna go to Borthwick again next time I'm home, when hopefully I won't be doing an impression of the Pied Piper of Bovine, leading hundreds of cattle everywhere I go - as happened the other day!

By the way, that's me in the light grey jacket,

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

• RMweb Gold

Come on Iain, less of the anachronistic acronyms please, it was a PWS back in the sixties, not a TSR!

Bill

We still call them 'slacks or slows' now on the footplate Bill.

It won't get me through rules however if I don't use the current language I'm afraid......

Mac.

• RMweb Gold

Got good skills!!

That happened to me the last time I had a night at Diesels in Hawick.

Well, thats not fair really.

To be honest it was more like Dusk till Dawn......

Mac.

• Like 1

We still call them 'slacks or slows' now on the footplate Bill.

It won't get me through rules however if I don't use the current language I'm afraid......

Mac.

And for once the meaning of the modern terminology is clearer.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson