n gauge

Burnleytramman

Hello tram fans, I am just in the process of creating an n gauge layout using typhoo trams.My inspiration came from a video i found on 'You Tube' createdby a group of model rail enthusiats from the London area who had decided to move over to n gauge trams. Their layout was superb and having just moved to smaller accomodation i realised that n gauge was the way for me to go. I am very pleased with my orogress to date. I am motorising my typhoo trams with Kato bogie motors and with some very careful changing of the body they work very well. My layout is going to be of my home town , Burnley, with an artistic licence covering a couple of decades to include the last trams running and the early buses as they came to replace them.

Please feel free to give me any advice as i am very new to the hobby although now in the twilight years, it just keeps me going with a non energetic interest.

Burnleytramman.

Welcome to the world of Tramway Modelling. I have one of the old Typhoo trams and although I have never done it myself I have seen that they do work very well as donor body's for trams. I would suggest that you try and obtain a copy of the book How to go Tram and Tramway Modelling by David Voice as a good start to different tram layouts and modelling projects.

What kind of trackwork are you using? Can you post any pictures of your layout?

All the best

Stephen

Hi Stephen, Thank you for your contact and info re the David Voice book. I am using Peco Finescale but i am just about to replace a couple of sections that i am not happy with. Afraid i can't post any pics yet things are a little disorganised. I am also waiting for some supplies but in the meantime i am working on the trams themselves.

regards, Alan (Burnleytramman)

• 3 months later...

Hi

You could have a look at Gordon Bulmers website at www.gordonstrams.net it has a fair amount of information on getting started and how to wire for two rail and for live overhead

Slight disclaimer I DO have an interest as I have helped Gordon with building the last two layouts and working out auto stops for two rail operation

When I read about using Typhoo trams in N I immediately thought of a blog I've been following where the author has tackled the exact subject:

http://tramman.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/how-to-bring-the-tram-back-to-life/

He's used the Kato chassis as well and the finished model looks quite sharp. I've measured the Typhoo tram casting beside Tomy's TM-TLR01 chassis and see that it lines up very nicely and would allow the modeller to have their tram ride on a four axle chassis instead of the two axle Kato chassis. The combination of the Tomy chassis with the weight from the cast Typhoo body should make for a really nice model. For power collection you could probably add a Miniatures by Eric pole.

Archived