Mount Pleasant

L49

Hi all,

First of all here are a few construction detail shots of the retaining walls as requested.

post-8704-0-89853200-1340183992_thumb.jpg

[post-8704-0-94499900-1340184030_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned above, the arches are just cut out from thin card and braced with wood indide and behind. They were installed individually before being bedded in with ballast, and extra buttressing added to reinforce the joins in the sheets. They look pretty good, although hopefully by the time we get as far as Granville box we will have mastered the art a little better!

post-8704-0-93503400-1340183930_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-88997200-1340183963_thumb.jpg

Next are two details of the layering on the back of the station wall

post-8704-0-84095400-1340184060_thumb.jpg

And a detail of where the overall roof meets the inside face of these walls. The barckets are from the Peco kit simply cut in half. We toyed with a few different ideas for representing the fancy cast brackets which are very obvious on the prototype, but they would have all been rather expensive, or would have lacked the finesse of the original, so we opted for a compromise which hopefully won't look too bad.

post-8704-0-51487100-1340184091_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-97234100-1340184117_thumb.jpg

Here are the nameboards which were made on Saturday. The frame was cut out on the CraftRobo, and spray mounted onto the front of the printed nameboard sheet, which is on glossy photo paper. The whole thing was then cut round with a scalpel, before another layer of pre-cut frame was glued to the back. The back was then painted black.

post-8704-0-37772400-1340184153_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-70813100-1340184183_thumb.jpg

Here are a pair in situ on the westbound side. If you look closely, the LT signage afficianados will notice that there is something very unusual about one of the signs, which (accurately) only features on one of the namboards on the layout. Answers on a postcard please!

post-8704-0-05995200-1340184221_thumb.jpg

Finally a view from a passing BR train heading towards Kings Cross looking back into the Met station. This view in particular brings to mind travelling from Addison Road to Clapham in the 90's, and passing the back of West Brompton on the District, although since NR have reopened the WLR station the analogy doesn't work quite the same today.

Edited by L49
  • Like 5

Really atmospheric guys. What will you be using for the underground stock? A60 units would feel right a lonside those baby Deltics

Paul R

Sorry, I missed this question the other day.

We are intending to run something a little earlier than the A60 stock, and we are trying to get away from the 'transition' era look, as it is rather overdone, and over catered for. That's not to say that a BD with a rake of Mk1 suburbans will not appear, and may even be witnessed passing an A60 stock set and a DMU, but on the whole the operation will be based on late 40s/early 50's practice.

Passenger working on the widened lines will be in the hands of N2s on the GN services, and condensing Fowler 2.6.2 tanks on the Midland. Freight will largely be handled by J50s, J52s, N1s from the Eastern, Condensing 3Fs from the Midland, and hopefully some interesting Southern locos slipped in occasionally. I know the regular traffic over the widened lines was always handled from the north, but there are some fantastic pictures that have been published in the past of SECR D class and LBSC C2x classes working around Snow Hill, and even as far down as the Smithfield curve.

There is a siding on the up MWL for a banker, this will be shared between GN and Midland locos in the same way as Farringdon was, although it will be rather difficult to simulate the changeover from one to the other at Dusk and Dawn as they did on the prototype.

The LT lines will have even more variety in a way, as specific stock will be allocated to specific duties.

Aylesbury trains will be formed of loco haled stock in the hands of a standard Met electric.

Uxbride trains will be formed from F stock, and watford services will be formed of MW stock.

Circle traffic will be shared between Met 1913/21 stock, and shiny new trains of P stock.

Hammersmith trains will be formed of O stock.

If we are running a sunday service, then I'm sure the District won't mind us borrowing a rake of Q stock as a track mileage balancing move either.

Other traffic coming in and out on the Met lines will include GW services to and from Smithfield, which will be in the hands of condensing panniers and my little Metro tank. Any engineers trains on the Met will be hauled by the F class, or possibly and E. I think it might be rather a long haul for the little X class all the way from Neasden, but I'm sure she can make an appearance at some point. The sole survivor of the A class, L45 can of course roll through from time to time as well. It's a shame the K class were never cleared south of Finchley road (non to mention that they were all sold to the LNER and in line to be scrapped by this time anyway) as I think one would look rather fine working over the Inner Circle. Maybe an excuse for some modellers license...

I have a brace of LT panniers which might appear occasionally, but like A60 stock, and Baby Deltics, they are a little too close to 'transition' for my taste. I may have to built a much more up to date diorama for them at some point in the future! Lillie Bridge 1971 anyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And a detail of where the overall roof meets the inside face of these walls. The barckets are from the Peco kit simply cut in half. We toyed with a few different ideas for representing the fancy cast brackets which are very obvious on the prototype, but they would have all been rather expensive, or would have lacked the finesse of the original, so we opted for a compromise which hopefully won't look too bad.

For "fancy brackets" (properly called corbels) have you had a look at the ScaleLink range. You would probably want some that are nominally for 7mm.

For "fancy brackets" (properly called corbels) have you had a look at the ScaleLink range. You would probably want some that are nominally for 7mm.

I have had a look around the etched and whitemetal manufacturers. The trouble is the cast brackets used by the Met were unique, and there is nothing even vaguely similar out there. At one point, in desparation, we did consider casting our own, but in the end we considered the compromise to work pretty well.

• 2 months later...

I wondered why the station board looked so clear when I called in this afternoon! I hope D5900 was tripcock fitted to comply with regulations for working over the westbound Metropolitan line (even if there does appear to be a temporary lack of DC power provided)

I have started sorting out the rats nest of wiring under the crossover board this afternoon, waiting for a hall booking who didn't turn up (I love some people!) The short on the single slip has reappeared, I really can't figure out what is causing it. Might have to strip the switch wiring back and start again on that one. Fun, fun,fun...

• Like 1

Btw, you guys there's some interesting series of shots of Spitalfields on the BBC website from 100 years ago. you'll have to search it 'cos I lost the link, sorry. I was surprised by how modern some of the buildings looked...

I love how BD's turn up in BD's photos! Great modelling!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wondered why the station board looked so clear when I called in this afternoon! I hope D5900 was tripcock fitted to comply with regulations for working over the westbound Metropolitan line (even if there does appear to be a temporary lack of DC power provided)

That naughty baby Deltic geezer needs his bottom spanked, he should know that the rebuilt baby deltics had their tripcocks removed :nono: :rtfm: :no2: :read: :wacko: :negative:

• Like 1

The short on the single slip has reappeared, I really can't figure out what is causing it. Might have to strip the switch wiring back and start again on that one. Fun, fun,fun...

Quick update on this one. Stripped the wiring back to the accessory switch at one end and hey presto, short cured, that was until I tried to cross from the WB Met to the DN MWL, then it obviously all just died! (Don't know why I didn't see that coming!) I think I have found why it shorts, but I don't know quite how I'm actually going to cure it properly. I have a feeling some major surgery is going to be required.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Do we know of any dates when Mount Pleasant will be out on the exhibition scene?

I'd love to see it in the flesh and perhaps even bring my 87-year-old father who has always been fascinated by the Widened Lines and Snow Hill Tunnel.

Whatever happened to this interesting layout. Come on Charlie own up what's happening with it these days please.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The project has been abandoned. We are now working on a large N gauge layout.

Thats a great pity as I thought so much could be done with the Mount Pleasant set up and it has been nagging at me to replicate something similar as indeed did your South Pimlico, you might manage to get the boy out of London but not London out of the boy.

What is the theme for this large N gauge project, more London railways by chance?

Kevin

• 6 years later...

Seven years on and the loss of Mount Pleasant is still a painful one. It is a demonstration of the worst that can happen in a club, when one person who has a larger vocal than modelling repertoir starts to take over. It got to stage where the scenic work was so let down, and was almost impossible to remedy without causing a complete dissolution and fall out in the club that in the end we had to opt to simply stop work and start a completely different project. As with all half finished layout ideas, this one is still in my head to be tackled again one day, but not as a club project!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, L49 said:

Seven years on and the loss of Mount Pleasant is still a painful one. It is a demonstration of the worst that can happen in a club, when one person who has a larger vocal than modelling repertoir starts to take over. It got to stage where the scenic work was so let down, and was almost impossible to remedy without causing a complete dissolution and fall out in the club that in the end we had to opt to simply stop work and start a completely different project. As with all half finished layout ideas, this one is still in my head to be tackled again one day, but not as a club project!

Hopefully we'll see a mount pleasant mk2 at some point in the future, perhaps a micro layout of some sort? The pics of the original have certainly been an inspiration for me, many ideas centering around the enclosed station idea.

• Like 1