Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Fort Myers was first exhibited back in 1994 and has done quite a few shows, a number of them twice after adding DCC and other changes.

It has one more show booked which is this weekend at Wimbledon YMCA (2 day show). After this if it doesn't have any more invites then Wimbledon may well be its last one.

However all is not lost as plans are now being drawn up to make use of it in two separate new layouts. The first one which is now in the planning stages is to make use of the orange factory section which will be made wider and add some new boards on to these with possibly a diesel shop or other industry.

The rest of the layout will then be changed possibly to become a circular one but thats further in the future.

So if anyone is in the area then the Wimbledon show this weekend may be your last chance to see the layout as it is.

Ian

Edit

See newer posts for changes to the layout to make it bigger and better and adptable for use as a Freemo module.

Edited by roundhouse

Hi,

This is great news.

Fort Myers is one of my favourite layouts. I still have a copy of CM Sept 2005 in which the layout appears.

Could you please let me know which Walthers kit you modified to build the juice plant at the left side of the layout.

I hope you'll keep us posted on the new layout, sounds good!

regards,

Mal

Ft Myers is a great layout, it even inspired a holiday on the Gulf Coast.

I remember seeing it at Tolworth in the mid 90's (?) when I was there with the Deepcar team, IIRC the orange juice plant wasn't built at the time. Glad to hear it won't be shuffling off completely!

All the best

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Ah .. . So long ago it's hard to remember but will look it up home as been on Coonado Orange Wit tonight.. No, it's not made with oranges but is from the Coronado brewery in Orange Avenue, San Diego.. Just costs a bit more drinking it in London!

It's hard to come up with something to replace this layout as most of my fellow operators enjoy this layout more than any other I have built despite its age.

The orange juice plant has been on it from the start but there aren't many things to make that very obvious bar the Tropicana refers when they are out front.

Will keep you posted on any developments... There is even a slight chance It could still be set up in much of its original format even after altering the factory area but we shall see.

Ian

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks all for your comments.

This morning I obtained the timber ready for tomorrow's planned alterations.

Last night I had a good look at the end board with the crossing and air boats. This will be the first board to be tackled as it requires the most work done to lengthen and widen it. The crowding and air boats will stay but the alligators may have to be removed for now!

Meanwhile, today is beer day.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Had I known Ft Myers was yours at the St Neots show I would absorbed the wrath of the Mrs. and stayed a while longer on Saturday! The 2005 CM article is in my archives and I had a re-read last night. I really like long, skinny layouts. You can switch decent size cuts of cars and running at scale speeds it makes the layout even longer. The station is a fabulous price of scratch building. For all the railroads that built Spanish, Hacienda style stations I'm not aware of many commercial models (aside from Walthers) on a scale like this.

Are you still planning to split the layout Ian? Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Regards,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Bill

The layout is 20 years old this year and now in need of alteration to get some interest back in it.

This morning I cleared the area where the layout is stored in the garage.

The main boards will get widened today. The Juice plant will be stored for now whilst the rest will get lengthened so that it is 16 feet plus a fiddleyard.
The boards will also be widened to 20 inches.

The control panel will go and we will use turnout decoders and JMRI track plan on a touch screen PC that gets used on other layouts.

Not sure how the track plan will come out but I will post some photos.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I started later than planned as two of the cars needed a wah.

The first two boards are undergoing widening. It's going much as planned so should get four done today at least.

It's a very sunny day out there.

Ian

post-1557-0-19895600-1395923446_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-73603600-1395923453_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

The building did get a slight bit of damage but luckily is a bit that gets covered up when the rest of the building is slotted into the main frontage

Three boards widened which also includes lengthening of one end board which will get a bridge over the Creek to make it a through track at this end..
A photo of this board as it is tonight sitting on a board from Dobris which makes a very good modelling bench!

Got to leave this end board to set as at the moment it's all held together with PVA wood glue.

Time for a rest now!!

Ian

post-1557-0-67328100-1395923850_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-52824100-1395923857_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This morning I ache all over after spending yesterday morning firstly vacuuming inside and then washing all the dirt of the layout transport after this winter and all the shows its done then bashing the hell out of the baseboards  to remove the ply fascia, timber framing then cutting the new timber!!

Anyway it should be worth it.

So all I managed early this morning was to turn the end board over and glue a few more blocks of wood in to add a bit more strengthening to the extension framework.

Once I have recovered the trackwork will be extended over the bridge.

Now what type of bridge shall I put in the gap!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse