Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Maybe, I grew up on it and I don't like my beer to be too strong - and nothing beats Adnams for me. I hate Belgium beer too, I'm afraid...don't get me started on beer with Wheat in it. "Blue Moon"  is an abomination, how to market cloudy beer.

Cheers, Pete.

That's the good thing with craft beer and real ale is that there's a huge range of styles and tastes. My preference is for darker beers and I do enjoy cloudy wheat beers but once the beers start getting to strong then I am not so keen.

One reason for visiting the USA is due to the shear number of different types of beer that a brewery can do, sometimes well over ten different ones on at the same time.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian

i've got the Walthers trestle 933-3147 if thats any good,just sitting in a box and never likely to be used,going for the pricely sum of now't

let me know i'll bring it with me??

Ray

Thanks all regarding the bridges. Was looking on the Model Junction website at 3am this morning when I couldn't get back to sleep.

Adrian - thanks for the links. Will have a look later to see what will fit.

Ray - thanks for the offer. I will have a look at the Walthers website tonight and will let you know.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Its really meant ot be a creek off the Caloosahatchi River so not necessarily any commercial traffic but small pleasure craft including airboats.

I am lowering the river level so there should be clearance for airboats without a need for an opening bridge but it would be a nice feature. my main concern is that there is not really the length for such but will have a good look at the options on the links posted so far.

A night in for a change!!

Ian

Agree - although it can be the case that an old navigable waterway falls out of "commercial" use after the railroad gets built, and you end up with welded shut "movable" bridges, sometimes over silted up remains of the former main channel!

True, although in North America they usually aren't allowed to block navigable waterways, although they may only be navigable by small fishing boats. I did notice that there was a dock on one side of the bridge. In a lot of cases the railroads had to build movable bridges if there wasn't going to be enough vertical clearance (which is why the Paulsboro swing bridge was there in the first place - I believe there is a marina upstream of it).

Currently most of the Intracoastal Waterway has vertical clearances of 65' or has movable bridges. Other channels can have less clearance.

This bridge https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=39.249309,-76.489466&spn=0.005029,0.005177&sll=39.250368,-76.486173&sspn=0.014224,0.020707&t=h&z=18

spends most of its life open, with the bridgekeeper boating out to it when they need to run a train across it (about once a day). The fixed bridge on the Peninsula Expressway has a clearance of 45' IIRC.

Here is the Paulsboro bridge mentioned earlier - note the marina upstream. https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=39.834515,-75.236537&spn=0.002493,0.002588&sll=39.250368,-76.486173&sspn=0.014224,0.020707&t=h&z=19

However, something like this is fine for most inland recreational boating:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=27.320372,-80.453329&spn=0.000002,0.001294&sll=39.250368,-76.486173&sspn=0.014224,0.020707&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=27.320372,-80.453329&panoid=NkpH4xMqN0DFfmL8l4_0OA&cbp=12,137.67,,0,-14.07

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Example - the Wabash River must have been a commercial navigable waterway at some point, but ceased to be one after the initial build of most railroads (believe in the early 1900s) - as almost all of the railroad bridges have a swing span (or in some cases an odd configuration of spans where a swing span has been replaced by fixed spans)

This example still has it's swing span, but it's now on an island! http://binged.it/1kIrljX

Most later bridges on the Wabash (road, or rebuilt rail bridges) are simple fixed ones, and not built "high level" either.

At some point the river will have silted up, and nobody was bothered enough about the loss of function to dredge it, at which point, replacing/updating/maintaining expensive moving bridges becomes a bit pointless...

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a look on the Walthers website. The trestle that Ray has will do just the job for the gap as will give that run down feel that is so much evident along the railroads in this area when we visited back in the 90's.

Thanks Ray - I owe you a few beers on Saturday.

Ian

I have just had a look on the Walthers website. The trestle that Ray has will do just the job for the gap as will give that run down feel that is so much evident along the railroads in this area when we visited back in the 90's.

Thanks Ray - I owe you a few beers on Saturday.

Ian

Looking at the instructions that looks to be the perfect thing. I'd suggest using the deck girder over the 'navigable' channel rather than unsing the all-trestle option.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian

I will check that option out.

I will also have concrete abutments as per the one already in place with a few mods to support the deck.

Thanks all for all the possible options for a suitable bridge.

No doubt there will be more decisions to make as I move along the layout.

The biggest decision will be whether or not to widen the juice factory boards or leave them off for now.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Last night there was a slight diversion to work on some of my UK N scale stock but after that it was back to carving foam and then adding a layer of filler to the new river bank. Also all the old water has been removed. I am not that happy with this new bank as its a bit to uniform. Also with the river bank in place the bridge will be even shorter. I might cut back the existing track formation  and set back the bridge parapet to gain a few inches there.

With Ally Pally looming, progress will be a bit slower till the following weekend when I hope to alter the remaining boards that will go to the Fremo meet in July.

Now, can I get away with putting my Tillamook Cheese (Oregon coast) truck and trailer on a layout based in deepest Florida???

Ian

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCN1894.jpg

found it ,do you want it wrapped!!!!!

Ray

No bows please - I struggle with them!!

Thanks very much.

We can do a few places where they serve American craft beers on Saturday night but I wont be able to buy you so many pints at some of the prices they sell for!!

Ian

PS - whats the freight car that you are working on in the photo under the box?

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

there 2 89' flats which a making there way to the bin,there on the floor,i was given them by a trader,there all twisted and bowed,took the Kadees of them,so not all bad news.

Ray

Ray

perhaps they could be used alongside a running line as train wreckage victims

Why not? They've just branched out to the south-east (or at least in your story ;) ): if they conquer the market furthest away from their home-base, the rest of the continental US is a doddle, to be taken in a pincer movement :D

Truck for local deliveries, transloaded from mechanical reefer?

Now, can I get away with putting my Tillamook Cheese (Oregon coast) truck and trailer on a layout based in deepest Florida???

Ian

Is the truck/trailer painted in the "Cow" livery, like the loco?

EDIT _ just knew it was a bad idea to post "C-O-W" - while I posted that I had an email from Factory Direct offering their mooing stock cars at a reduced price

http://factorydirecttrains.com/k7asoundstockcarsho.aspx?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-20-14

Edited by shortliner

If you're Supersizing, Ian, You'll need a 'Big Gulpee Train" as opposed to a Juice Train.....btw the latest RailPace Mag is complaining that Tropicana have allowed the Juice Train to enter disrepair and become squalid........it does look rather nasty now.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1