AC's under the DC

I thought I'd start this topic purely to post a link to this photo of an 83 on the Woodhead Route. The year is 1971 and the Electric Blue AC (probably one of the last in this livery) is being tripped from Bury to Doncaster for rebuilding.

25kV electric on Woodhead Line

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are there any photos in existence of the 87s for rectification works at Reddish? I have only seen photos of open days.

Not many. But a Flickr search of '87015 Reddish' will give you Howard.

Tried to post the link, but for some reason This iPad won't let me.

I also have a photo of 87023 at RS on my hard drive, no idea who took it so can't post due to forum rules.

Not many. But a Flickr search of '87015 Reddish' will give you Howard.

Tried to post the link, but for some reason This iPad won't let me.

I also have a photo of 87023 at RS on my hard drive, no idea who took it so can't post due to forum rules.

I saw that, thanks E3109. As I understand it at some point all of the 'Electric Scots' will have passed through RS for rectification. It is surprising that there aren't more photographs in existence. I will PM you regarding the photo of Highland Chieftain (if that is allowed).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just out of sheer curiosity, and because im not technically minded - what would happen if the engines were hooked up to the wrong system? would it just be a case of them not working? or would the results be a teeny bit more spectacular?

• RMweb Gold

Some of the Class 83 & 84s stored at Bury were dragged to Doncaster Works for refurbishment via the Woodhead route as we have seen pictures of them, perhaps some were also dragged back to Longsight that way afterwards too?

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Archived