Advice regarding wheel turning.

• RMweb Gold

Recently I joined the 2mm Finescale Society and have stripped down the bogies on my Dapol/Bachfar rolling stock to send the wheels off for turning.

My question is about the Bachfar Class 150. The three un-powered bogies have metal tyred wheels. I believe these are suitable for turning down but could some confirm this before I send them off?

Also is it wise to replace the wheels on say a Dapol 'Cargowagon' and Bachfar 'MOA' with society wheel sets or can these be turned too?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers,

Mark

Guest Natalie Graham

The association has the replacement wheelsets for the unpowered bogies on the class150 'under development'. As this seems to be a matter of a new axle rather than them having to make wheels it would seem likely they won't be too far away. I'm not sure what the wheel turning service costs but I would think it would probably be cheaper to wait unless you are in a desperate hurry. The drop in replacements for the powered bogie are item 3-073 at £4-50 per axle.

I would imagine the simplest method of re-wheeling the wagons would be to buy replacements from the association shop. Does the wheel turning service do rolling stock wheels?

According to the Shop price list, the wheel turning service is "best suited to metal-tyred disc wheels from diesels, electrics and coaches". Prices range from 85p per axle for "standard" wheels to £1-50 per axle for spoked wheels or for disc wheels requiring face profile restoration. However, check the latest price list, as the one I have to hand is the April 2011 one, not the October 2011 version.

Prices for Association wheels should be 80p per axle, so if there is a version with the appropriate length axle it's marginally cheaper than having them turned.

Unfortunately I don't have personal experience, so can't expand much on what is already available in the Association literature. Probably worth emailing Mr Shopkeeper for an update on the progress of the drop-in 150 wheels (they appear to be priced at £2-50).

The other possibility to mention is that many modellers with access to a lathe turn down their own wheels, so if you happen to have a suitable local area group that might be a viable option. I know that the Wealden Area Group do so, but that's not very convenient for Northampton...

David

You say the three unpowered bogies have metal wheels - what does the powered bogie have?

If you are going to send them off (cheapest option) then go for it. My experiences of the service is very good. If you would prefer replacements then I would email the shops to see what the availability is on the drop in wheelsets you require. Personally I would go the first route, because I don't see a need to retain the original N gauge wheelsets intact.

I would imagine the simplest method of re-wheeling the wagons would be to buy replacements from the association shop. Does the wheel turning service do rolling stock wheels?

It does but it is not encouraged. The man who does it is also the one who makes the steam loco wheels, as well as a number of other turnings. So if too many people go down this route, the service will simply degrade. One of the reasons we started to do replacement wheels was so that the wheel turning service load would be lightened.

Chris

Archived