The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

50 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Well it's not taken out, just reduced.... :unknw_mini:

:D  :o  .....   I'm having trouble with a concept here.....   :blink:.....   "Nothing taken out".....     "just reduced".....   

I'm going to lie down, so the problems of staying upright don't confuse the issue.....    it might take a while... 

Julian

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Well it's not taken out, just reduced.... :unknw_mini:

If there is nothing taken out why is it not Full Fat

Or does it work on the concept that all milk enters the dairy and is turned into skimmed milk and the required amount of cream put back in before bottling?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Or does it work on the concept that all milk enters the dairy and is turned into skimmed milk and the required amount of cream put back in before bottling?

Tesco have a "nothing added, nothing taken out" slogan for several items, to imply their full nutritional value.

Some dimwit has applied it to their skimmed milk without thinking. There seems to be a growing number of dimwits about these days.

Martin.

• Agree 19

12 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Tesco have a "nothing added, nothing taken out" slogan for several items, to imply their full nutritional value.

Some dimwit has applied it to their skimmed milk without thinking. There seems to be a growing number of dimwits about these days.

Martin.

Sum peepul down't seam too bee able reed wot thay aah righting.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I don't see what the problem is. The item is skimmed milk. They are saying they have neither added to are taken anything away from that item. If it was sliced bread, would you think they would  have pinched a few slices? (Asda may be different)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, raymw said:

I don't see what the problem is. The item is skimmed milk. They are saying they have neither added to are taken anything away from that item.

On that definition, the slogan would be applied to everything they sell. In fact it is a requirement of the Sale of Goods Act.

Chicken & Mushroom Pie. We haven't added any sardines or rice pudding. We haven't taken out the mushrooms or the chicken.

Martin.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Nah.

It's a well known fact that "Marketing" is just alcohol and guess work.

Kev.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, raymw said:

I don't see what the problem is. The item is skimmed milk. They are saying they have neither added to are taken anything away from that item. If it was sliced bread, would you think they would  have pinched a few slices? (Asda may be different)

You have missed the whole point of the original post you can’t have skimmed milk without taking the cream away, so you can’t claim nothing added or taken away" !

• Agree 8

Skimmed milk is a subset of milk, if you like. They are stating that there is nothing added or taken away from that subset. - the adding/taking away refers to the 'skimmed milk', not the original whole milk, unless it refers to the whole milk elsewhere, However, if in fact it was skimmed milk posing as whole milk, then I could see a lie being.perpetrated. There are plenty of similar examples, but I can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure you could. 

I expect, you cam get skimmed milk with added vitamins/flavourings/whatever, when the adding/taking out statement would not apply.

In the UK, we have whole milk, channel island milk, semi skimmed and skimmed milk, broadly defined by fat content. Often the milk is blended, to get the correct fat content- e.g. higher fat content milk from Guernsey or Jersey cows added to the lower fat content milk from more volume producing animals. Here is a link which explains how milk is produced. https://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm-animals/cows/dairy-cows/

• Agree 3

Good lord. 12 posts, now a baker's dozen with mine about nothing. Martin's post was hilarious - making fun of a blanket marketing slogan. I wonder if Jerry Seinfeld did a show about skim milk? (There was one about non-fat yoghurt, sort of.) At least Tesco doesn't add formaldehyde like dairy producers did a century ago.

Can we have some more wacky signs?

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, raymw said:

Skimmed milk is a subset of milk, if you like. They are stating that there is nothing added or taken away from that subset.

What it actually says is "Skimmed Milk From British Farms". So unless it arrives from the farm already skimmed, your argument fails.

Even then to be a valid argument it should be called Skimmed-Milk, hyphenated, all on one line in the same size text, to make it clear that it is not Milk.

But for all I know, nowadays it could come out of the cow ready skimmed? smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

What it actually says is "Skimmed Milk From British Farms". So unless it arrives from the farm already skimmed, your argument fails.

Even then to be a valid argument it should be called Skimmed-Milk, hyphenated, all on one line in the same size text, to make it clear that it is not Milk.

But for all I know, nowadays it could come out of the cow ready skimmed? smile.gif

Martin.

The "Skimmed Milk" being sold is not being sold as untreated from the farm it is being sold as milk which has been skimmed, which is not as received from the farm.  That, by definition of "Skimmed Milk" is not how it came out of the cow.  It, however, should be how it appears on the shelf.  It's not difficult.

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, meil said:

The issue is with the "nothing taken out" if it's skimmed then the cream has been taken out.

Only if it was Milk to start with.

If it was Skimmed-Milk, nothing has been taken out.

Keep up at the back. smile.gif

Martin.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

15 minutes ago, meil said:

The issue is with the "nothing taken out" if it's skimmed then the cream has been taken out.

It is being sold as "Skimmed Milk", which by definition is full fat milk with some of the fat removed - before it can be defined as "Skimmed Milk".  You cannot take fat  out of "Skimmed Milk", as it has already been removed, prior to it qualifying as "Skimmed Milk".  Hence, "Nothing {further} taken out" of "Skimmed Milk".

The statement on the package is about - "What is in the package" - in this case {hopefully not the Cow}, or it's milk as delivered at source.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Hence, "Nothing {further} taken out" of "Skimmed Milk".

But that surely raises the question "is Skimmed Milk, Milk?"

If something was taken out of "Skimmed Milk", would it still be "Skimmed Milk"? Or "Skimmed Skimmed Milk"?

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2