The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

Another friend, an activist in the local communist party for his sins, remembers being much amused back in the 80s by a placard he saw in a march supporting the strikers in the Grunwick dispute.  It said, simply and unfathomably, ‘Rectify The Anomaly’.  

Also from the Grunwick bunfight (google it if you’re too young to remember), but my story this time.  I was listening to the radio 4 news, where the chief constable of Essex was being asked by local residents why he had closed all the roads in the area with manned blockades.  It was, he said, with a wonderful lack of irony, to preserve freedom of movement...

Another personal favourite is this classic from Arthur Scargill, bless ‘im; ‘we demand that these measures be phased out.  Immediately’.  Right on, Arthur, weed out the dead wood; I likes a mixed metaphor, me.  You can’t make this stuff up!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

On 24/05/2020 at 22:36, The Johnster said:

Used to regularly walk past a back street garage that advertised 'brand new remould tyres'.  This is on a par with 'Ears pierced while you wait' or 'BOGOF shoes', but it was real!

The concept of "brand new remould tyres" is not as far fetched as you may think.  Back in the 1990s I worked for Continental Tyres, who were very proud of being a German company, but also wanted their tyres made as cheaply as possible.  The answer was to have the carcass (liner/bead/sidewall/fabric ply) built in a low cost country then shipped to Germany where the tread and wire belt would be applied and the tyre cured and moulded.  As the last process was carried out in Germany they could then legitimately brand the tyre "made in Germany", however strictly speaking it was a remould, as the carcass had to be cured as a blank in the LCC country, then remoulded in Germany.  I took part in the initial trials at the factory near Edinburgh before it was closed and production moved to Romania so I never found out if they took the project forward.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

One also used to be able to get 'part worn' tyres; can one still do this?  It's a while since I had a car!  I always reckoned this was dodgier than a remould; suppose the tyre had been a factor in the crash that made it surplus anyway...  I had some ropey old bangers, but always had new tyres, best I could afford which were usually the cheapest, and radials never cross ply, which were still common when I began driving.

Driving, not motoring; that was done by chaps with sports jackets, driving gloves, polished wooden knobs (gear) and small steering wheels.  I found them insufferable, but less so than the boy racer go faster stripes types.  I used to put bits from Halfords on all my cars, though; one of those green sun strips, door bumpers with reflectors, and a stick on Welsh flag at the back.  Another one from back in the day was stick-on electric rear window heaters.  Oo, and those little plastic things that went on your windscreen wiper arm to press the wipers on to the screen, supposed to increase the effectiveness and service life of the wiper blades.  For all I knew, they worked...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

My "funny" story about a remould tyre and some ducks....

Early 70' my 1st car was an Austin A30 (oh I miss it), run on a shoestring and totally maintained over a 12yr period by me, she was 12 went I got her!

I put it in for the MoT, which it failed. I had to do some serious front suspension/steering work around the kingpins (not bad for a novice), all outside in the road. I also picked up a n/s/f tyre from the local tyre place, his cheapest was a remould. This was late Friday.

Saturday morning, back to the garage for a successful retest, then round to the estate agents etc, collecting the keys for the new house we were buying. & picked up locally the Commer van, and  we did I think 3 trips over to the house with the big things over the weekend.

Monday morning we returned the van (local) and went to work nearby. That started a week of trips to the house in the car, 30 mile round trip each evening. Hope you are keeping track of the mileage btw....

End of the week saw us moved in, and the new life started. The Monday after, back to work in Cambridge (15 miles away). After work we were leaving Cambridge along the straight Huntingdon Road towards Girton, following a lorry. Mrs. Duck and her young family stepped into the road, I slowed to let them cross and the lorry pulled away from me.

It was then I saw PC Plod in a gateway on the left, on his motorcycle. As I passed he started up, followed me and stopped me. "No tax disc Sir?" "No I replied, in the post to the new address, we've just moved and I sent for it when I got the Mot done last week". He had no real problem with that, but walked around the car. Checked the handbrake - perfect. Got to the n/s/f tyre - "do you know your tyre is bald?" "Shouldn't be I said, only had it fitted a week ago, only done just over 150 miles".

Turned out the tracking was out and I hadn't had time to check it because of moving! Result was a £5 fine and 3 points.

And another replacement tyre & reset the tracking

All because of Mrs.Duck.....

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I had some ropey old bangers, but always had new tyres, best I could afford which were usually the cheapest, and radials never cross ply, which were still common when I began driving.

Another one from back in the day was stick-on electric rear window heaters.

:offtopic:I bought a 20 year old Mini in the '80s and it had remould cross ply tyres.

They didn't last long, a full set of radials within a few weeks and boy what a difference, the Mini stuck to the road like glue, even in the wet, which it didn't with the cross plies.

I bought a new TR6 in 1972 and later bought the factory hard top for it.

I fitted one of those stick on rear screen heaters, it was great. It had push on Lucar connectors which meant I could disconnectr it when I took the hard top off in the summer.

Nice car but a beast to control in the wet (even with the fitted radials)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Part worn tyres, most of them come from Europe,

Germany has a much stricter limit for their MOT equivalent,

France has an odd (daft) law that means you can't put 1 new tyre on,

you have to fit a pair, doesn't matter how good the other was!

Also, fleet cars tend to have 'sets' of tyres fitted, all at once,

a waste of their money, but a bonus to us!

The other thing to remember about part worns, is that they are

thoroughly checked, inside and out, unlike the tyres on that s/hand

car you just bought!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

:offtopic:

I bought a new TR6 in 1972 and later bought the factory hard top for it.

I fitted one of those stick on rear screen heaters, it was great. It had push on Lucar connectors which meant I could disconnectr it when I took the hard top off in the summer.

Nice car but a beast to control in the wet (even with the fitted radials)

Handling is much improved with modern tyres

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

HI folks,

In the car park of one of our local supermarkets someone chose to get creative with a partly erased parking sign:

1801309586_ParentBatSign.JPG.9f2afbab2a7c21e2f6e98d04760bb371.JPG

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Turned out the tracking was out and I hadn't had time to check it because of moving! Result was a £5 fine and 3 points.

And another replacement tyre & reset the tracking

All because of Mrs.Duck.....

Mrs Duck probably saved your life by avoiding the badly tyre causing you an accident later.

Brilliant story. 

• Agree 7