Lenz LS100 Accessory Decoder

Tricky Dicky

I have just bought an LS100 Accessory Decoder as an upgrade for my test layout which currently has Peco turnout motors triggered from a stud and probe mimic panel. During my research I noted that you could still use manual switching alongside the decoder which is what I would like to do thus for the time being retaining the mimic panel as is. However, closer reading of the small print in the manual says this is only possible with turnout motors with "auto shut-off" which the Pecos are not. Does anyone know the reason why this restriction, or is it just Lenz being over cautious to the possibility of heavy handed push button use. If the latter is the case would careful momentary action with the probe be OK or should I play safe?

Richard

Looking at the manual it appears to take the power from the input of the decoder - ie the DCC bus - through the switch to the coil and then through the decoder via the common. That's why you need a point motor with its own switch to turn the power off at the end of the travel otherwise power will continue to flow through the decoder if a switch were left closed.

If you want to use a panel, check out the MERG designs (you'll need to join to get their kits). A few years back they had a great DCC Encoder that took the inputs from a panel of switches to control accessory decoders on its own DCC system. Way, way better than trying to control points from a handset anyday.

I think what it does means that as long as you are touching the probe to the stud it is powering the point motor and in theory burn it out. But a quick touch and the motor will fire. Same with power supply connected straight to the probe and out through the stud.

No need for anything else. It will be ok.

Grandson gone for afternoon nap, so I have a chance to reply. Thanks Two Tone green and Orange Alco for your replies. As I assumed auto shut off is no more than than a limit switch that cuts off the supply once the the motor completes its movement. The only niggle I have is that the motor coil will produce a back e.m.f as the magnetic field collapses, the limit switch will prevent this going back into the decoder. Do you think the normal practice with electo-magnetic devices of putting a reversed biased diode across each coil's output should do the trick or is this already done within the decoder?

Richard

Archived