Western pic request

I've not come across any photos in my searches so far, but did see a few Westerns at Bletchley and Wolverton on the Yeoman hoppers in 1975 and 76. Brian Daniels of this parish has some in cab shots of them on the Luton stone on his flickr pages though. These stone trains could be routed several different ways from the Western to the Midland Region and back, they didn't always come up via Oxford and Bletchley, occasionally they came up via Acton Maniline, Acton Wells Jcn, Dudding Hill Jcn and Cricklewood Brent Curve Jcn.

D1008's first foray onto the ER was with a Swindon to Peterborough special... can't remember the date though ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

I've never seen any photos in those locations in the books and slides I have.

However I have a working timetable that detailed the stone trains that departed Stoke Gifford yard to Northampton (they had come from Tytherington quarry close by). They were largely trains of stone branded MSV tipplers and very often were Western hauled. Is this the types of train you recall seeing?

Neil

Neil, you've just reminded me of something regarding the Northampton stone jobs - there's a website somewhere with a couple of shots of a blue Western heading north under Spencer Road Bridge with a rake of MSVs in tow...... I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though, typical!

IIRC, sometimes the Wolverton stone used to go to Northampton to run round as well.

Neil, you've just reminded me of something regarding the Northampton stone jobs - there's a website somewhere with a couple of shots of a blue Western heading north under Spencer Road Bridge with a rake of MSVs in tow...... I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though, typical!

IIRC, sometimes the Wolverton stone used to go to Northampton to run round as well.

I think this popped up on the last version of RMWeb, Nidge- just hope the site wasn't on Fotopic..

I dont recall or hav,nt known westerns turning up at northampton but do remember them at bedford stjohns/midland stn and bletchley seeing 1030 at midland stn bedford light engine,1023/1036 and 1045 on wolverton stone trains at bletchley.I have only seen a pic of a 1072 at kempston hardwick and 1022 at luton and would love to see any pic of a 52 at these locations as was a start of a love affair with the class and still hear 1045s maybachs coming up the gradiant of bletchley viaduct.

richard.

Evening gents,

Having thought about it, I remembered today that our roster clerk at work was the one who told me about that website with the Thousand at N'ptn, I'll speak to him on Monday afternoon when I book on and get the link posted here asap ;)

Archived