Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Great view from the station. And the houses all around are genius. You've done something a bit different & as so many have said. It gives the model atmosphere. Love it. The sock co will be a great addition. And folk will not believe it's for real! It was made to be modeled. If you ever go further along the Calder valley to Todmorden. (Nice viaduct in the town center & an incredible town hall) then carry on to Walsden. Until quite recently there was a working mill there  called Jubilee mills. Fancy putting that on my layout somewhere. Used to go there for rags long ago. It had a proper mill shop with only a dozen things in it that they actually made. Like dish clothes. & a women in a frock piny stepped out of time to serve you. There were square wicker baskets on casters full of empty wooden bobbins all over the place.  I had to go through the weaving shed to get to the rags. The noise was incredible. It was amazing.  Don't think it made a penny for the last 20 years it was running. The garden center opposite bought the mill shop & ruined it. Probably makes money now. Shame I didn't have a camera on my phone then. It was like being in one of those books of old photographs.. Used to get a proper ribbing off the mill girls.... In fact I need to go & photograph it before it disappears.

• Like 1

I bought a terraced house in Oldham in 1961. Most were still rented and all looked alike as regards paintwork but the 8 or 9 in our block were owner occupied. Some had gone for grants and had toilets and bathrooms fitted upstairs. The masses of plumbing from these conversions coming out of the back wall could not be missed. The unconverted had no such pipework and their lavs were at bottom 'o yard. Houses were high and even though doors and window sills were painted to suit the private house owner, I think they didn't bother hiring a ladder to paint the gutter. We just painted what we could reach by opening the sash and sitting on't windowsill. I can't even remember what colours our was........We were both too busy bringing up babies and working all hours.

One popular 'conversion' in those days was the removal of raised beading on panelled front doors and nailing a sheet of hardboard to the front to make it flush and modern....ugh! Another was painting doorsteps and lower windowsills with a hard-wearing cardinal red paint to save using a donkey stone!.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

One popular 'conversion' in those days was the removal of raised beading on panelled front doors and nailing a sheet of hardboard to the front to make it flush and modern....ugh! Another was painting doorsteps and lower windowsills with a hard-wearing cardinal red paint to save using a donkey stone!.

Yep, we had both the panelled doors and the red cills (that was in Patricroft). I think TV DIY man Barry Bucknall generally gets the 'credit' for the hard boarding over panelled doors craze.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason

We were talking about bathroom waste hoppers at the show earlier today and when I was Googling around Bacup looking at the originals of your buildings I found this at co-ordinates 53°42'05.55" N   2°11'51.67" W. It's on Central View showing the back of the houses on Industrial Street.

Shows both the hopper to drainpipe and stink pole variations. I suspect bathrooms were added at different times and Building Regs had changed in between times.

Looks like you can do whichever you like and be right.

Eric

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Something has changed....

DwainePipe006_zps1d45afc7.jpg

DwainePipe010_zpsfe2c80a0.jpg

Weird colours on this one but I like the down-the-street view

DwainePipe004_zps76ca9695.jpg

The goods shed has finally been finished, only 18 months after being started

DwainePipe014_zps6086a9c8.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looking good.

I've been thinking about the waste pipe arrangements and asked my dad what they would be, I've made a rough sketch of what they should be, all underground is clay above would be cast iron and lead.

Hopefully see you Sunday.

post-7104-0-10190400-1379608046_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did mean to press on with the Lancashire Sock building but gutters and downpipes kept calling me, especially the colours of said items !!!

I have, however made the bay window for the small entrance / office at the bottom left of the building, so not much more to do then :D

RealBayWindow_zpsfee77902.jpg

Baywindow001_zpsbcb99168.jpg

And yes, I know the dimensions aren't the same, although God knows what happened :D

Edit: I do - I forgot about the 3mm foundation. D'oh. It just struck me now.

Double edit: easily fixed though :)

• Like 6

Hadn't logged on until now. Think it looks more 1950. You should probably leave some houses with just the outside privy. But your the fat controller so you can do whatever you wish so long as you are happy with it. Might make it over to Shipley Sunday. Have family visiting so depends what time I can get shut of them...  Usually a good show. My stink pole is cut off at 6'! Wondered why the back yard stank this summer! Another job. Lol Just started painting my stone sills black but got rained off. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm now thinking that I need something to actually show on Sunday (Shipley show, in case anyone missed it), so am desperately painting and weathering Plastikard sheets and adding some basic details to Lancashire Sock that are best done now, namely door surrounds and curved stone courses for above arched doors. With the latter, once the platikard stonework has been added, I can cut around the arches and insert them.

The bay window isn't affixed yet as it wold make a few later stages awkward, but the stone around it is trimmed so it slots in.

LancashireSockbuild010_zps84aeb7b4.jpg

• Like 9

G'Day Gents

Wonderful thread this, although, with all these lovely terraced house's, not one of them is owned by one of the 50/60's emigrant, who liked bright colors, I recall some of the house's in North London, being painted in 'lime green' and 'lavender' brickwork as well, which made them rather destinctive ........

manna

• RMweb Premium

I've been preparing for tomorrow's demo and as such, have been taking a few photos to show anyone who is interested (plan to put them on a USB and take a laptop, along with some other relevant stuff). A lot of these views will have seen before on here, nothing new really but I quite like some of them and it does show progress to date (which is always handy).

Ivatt, mill and partly surfaced goods yard

Demodays003_zpsdaa2fc49.jpg

Closer view of the 2mt

Demodays010_zps0e5556c2.jpg

The houses at the back. I'll most likely be taking these along and will hopefully get round to adding the gutters and downpipes (we can but hope.....)

Demodays005_zps5494e509.jpg

The other houses at the back. I drove past these last week (the real ones); was strange to see them, and not climbing a hill (they are on pretty much level ground)

Demodays020_zps9092cfa9.jpg

Goods shed. I faffed around with the contrast, etc. A bit blurry but......

Demodays012_zpsa8fde144.jpg

I need to get on with the allotments/gardens here but it's quite a way down the list

Demodays015_zps4eba13a2.jpg

Goods yard and back corner of the layout

Demodays017_zpsb539b887.jpg

This one shows how far Io got with the goods yard surface

Demodays022_zps193d3249.jpg

45026 trundles overhead as that bloody Ribble bus still waits for passengers. You'll notice I left some water goods in jolly colours

Demodays025_zps9d604938.jpg

Where is it based on again? :D

Demodays029_zps0f0a68b7.jpg

A few passengers, completely ignoring the DMU in platform 1

Demodays032_zps8e15e75a.jpg

I removed the station building again to get this shot

Demodays038_zps21c97222.jpg

RED (:D)

Demodays041_zps0055650f.jpg

Overall shot

Demodays043_zps4dcb029b.jpg

Down the bloody street. Again. I did pop a woman half way down the street though (she is HO and looks tiny, hence being chucked way down the road. You may not even spot her. And that's not her at the very bottom; that's a post box).

Demodays052_zpsb7a0b83a.jpg

Think they'll do the job for tomorrow? I'll also include some shots of the real Lancashire Sock Manufacturing Company and a few others I've got from the L&Y Society that I obviously can't put on here.

• Like 19

Great stuff Jason! I've been catching up with your thread again the last couple of days & your last post is a neat summary of the superb modelling going on! I really like it as it's not just technically excellent, but it also exudes so much atmosphere as well - stunning work & very inspirational!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful, Jason.

You mentioned allotments.  I lived in a house that backed onto allotments in the steam era.  Wish I had taken photos of it all now but back then it seemed too ordinary to waste a photo on.  Little did I know....

What I do remember were the rows of peas and runner beans and the day I ate some raw beans from the other side of the fence and was up all night ....(I'll spare you the details...). That'll teach me not to take what doesn't belong to me. 

Polly

This is wonderfully atmospheric modelling. Reminds me so much of Lancashire (I'm half a Lancastrian).

David C

Same here; this layout evokes so many memories of working the Oldham loop in 1960......That is the strength of this layout even though Cottonopolis gives me the willies!  Have a good show Sandside.

Edited by coachmann