Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Plastikard skills Al, that bridge is a masterpiece. I didn't fancy doing the windows with Microstrip on the box as they really need to be spot on and there are a lot of signalbox aficionados on here :)

I was going to scribe planks or use Microstrip but luckily enough, the Slaters ones are about spot on so I'll be saving myself some effort and using it. It is the steps that I am dreading making.........

• RMweb Gold

Costructing this signalbox has been the most nerve-wracking building I have made to date, with quite a few errors along the way resulting in a dustbin of Plastikard.

I mentioned above that the box would be based on Hebden Bridge's example; the reasons for this are that as the windows on the etch were drawn up from Hebden's box, there is just the correct amount on the fret. If course, that on it's own is not reason enough to model a box over the hills from Bacup but my version of Bacup didn't warrant as large a box as the real location as the junction to Rochdale has been 'moved' half a mile or so down the line and with it, the requirement for the box to be so tall.

So, here is progress to date. The roof is removeable (it slots on and off, which also combats warping) so the next stage is to add and paint the interior. After that, I need to add slates to the roof, make the steps and then the walkway and handrail around the front, for which I am erring in the direction of brass strips rather than Plastikard, to avoid everything being oversized and also to aid with construction.

Currently, the colors on the top half are reversed, with the windows being grey (primer) and the roof white (bare Plastikard). I won't be painting it for a while. On that note though, the base has been sprayed with primer (it's SE Finecast brick, a sod to paint with no primer).

I am all nervous about these photos as there are quite a few signalbox experts on here and one area that is bound to draw criticism is my attempt.

In for a penny, in for a pound. First, the prototype: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Hebden_Bridge_signal_box.jpg

That is looking distinctly Railway Signalling Co/L&Y Jason - definitely capturing the flavour I think.

• RMweb Gold

There's nowt wrong with that, Jason (apart from no outside facility, of course...)

It would probably be on the landing outside the door.

That is looking distinctly Railway Signalling Co/L&Y Jason - definitely capturing the flavour I think.

Gives a good impression of the one at Hebden Bridge.

I hadn't come across that simply spiffing picture of the Hebden Bridge box before. My artist brother asked me to find him some suitable pictures of signal boxes for a painting he's working on - must show him this one. Are you going to illuminate yours, Jason?

Edit: punctuation.

Edited by bluebottle

The signal box is looking really good, especially the windows.

I have been painting up some of the interior parts of a Springside signal box interior, the small box set. The mouldings needed some edges filing off, most parts are very nice, but I don't like the signal levers, they don't taper like the real ones, and feel too heavy and blocky. I am going to use Smiths by W&T etched leavers (bought from the MSE - Wizard? - stand at a show a couple of years ago), admittedly thin, as they are an etch, and no front marker piece, but when viewed from the side look nicer (to me). It is probably a matter of personal taste on the handles, and once behind the windows it might be hard to see any difference.

I am also making the base for the levers from plasticard filed to shape.

I know what you mean about posting signal box images, the portfolio thread is both inspiring and intimidating in the excellence on show there:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49489-the-signal-box-portfolio/

Jamie

Steps.

Plastruct do ready made steps.

http://plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineProductDetail.lasso?-op='eq'&CCode=STA-4

You can also buy the moulding from a "prototype models" signal box kit that includes steps.  I think I got one from Freestone Models.

Also "Tichy Trains", but doubt they have a UK stockist.

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/ho_structure-parts/p/8208/SearchValue/stairs/Default.aspx

Hi Jason, just in case it is of any help, here is a comparison of the Smiths etched levers and the Springside castings.
SignalBox22.jpg

I have posted a little more on the interior on my Ellerby thread. Not sure my signal box is going to end up quite as nice as yours is looking. I airbrushed the window etches, and I think I would have been better hand painting them, as it either didn't cover, or started to clot in places and corners.

Looking forward to seeing more of your box.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with the thread and the various questions.

I won't be lighting the interior as no other building on the layout will be and if I was to do so to the signalbox, it would stand out. Saying that, I have detailed the interior to an extent and you can't really see it under normal lighting but given a better camera and lighting, it may be visible.

Because of the above, I plumped for the Springside levers which are now painted (still a bit wet). As you will see, the blue levers are far too light but I haven't got any other blue paint available at the moment. Due to the decision to not light it, none of the interior items are painted with too much detail but enough for what will be seen.

I had a go at the steps yesterday using Plastikard but getting them aligned accurately was just not going well so I had a bit of a moment, scrunched them up and ordered some from York Modelmaking (which will need a bit of modification). They should hopefully be here in the next few days.

I have started to paint the top of the box although it's going to need a few more coats and a lot more neatening up. Once the top is fully painted, I will make a start on the brickwork which is currently just in primer.

I set off to Frizinghall Models to get some suitable brass for the walkways yesterday but the traffic around Saltaire was so bad that I turned round and came home again. It can wait.

Anyway, here are some photos of progress so far:

The levers, all painted.

SignalBox006_zps87c28dea.jpg

Interior. The strip of Plastikard across the top is to hang the shelf from, for the token instruments, etc.

SignalBox007_zps4bebb265.jpg

The shelf in place. I pondered for a while on how to hang it and in the end, cut two identical lengths of Plastikard and then drilled matching holes through them. Brass wire was then passed through the holes (6 lengths) and glued into place, with the top one glued to the aforementioned length of Plastikard that was affixed at roof height.

SignalBox008_zps81e364df.jpg

No great accuracy to the painting of the token / block instrumentation but it is completely out of sight. This does show how I hung the shelf though.

SignalBox012_zpsaa3f927d.jpg

You can't really see the interior with the camera and lighting that I currently have, but it's in there. The steps are leaned against it and come from the old GN box that graced this location for so long.

SignalBox013_zpsbe6bc374.jpg

Hopefully the new steps will look way, way better :)

SignalBox015_zps9a30efd4.jpg

I need to get the roof slated next and then it can be finished off and painted. I will leave the roof removeable just in case anything ever becomes unstuck inside (fallen foul of that before).

And yes, the cream colour is a bit too glossy at the moment :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Blue levers look just about right for the Western Jason - possibly a little light for the LM.  However you appear to have at least one too many yellow levers ;)  and your block shelf would collapse under the weight of that token instrument (which shouldn't be in the 'box at all) at the left hand end.  But adding the fittings does bring it to life really nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was an old fashioned radio Mike :D

The lever is easily fixed as it isn't glued into the box yet but the erroneous equipment is glued in, in an awkward position so will have to stay. Glad I'm not lighting the building......

Anyway, slates attached last night. Off to Chester now (that's where the office is).

SignalBox016_zps798e7d6a.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jason, the blue lever colour looks spot on to me, it's the same as that on various photos I've worked from on Bakewell.

Cracking job mate, love the block shelf (token machine notwithstanding). It's worthy of lighting, I reckon.

All you need now is a sink and a stove :)

post-17302-0-24420700-1383729006_thumb.jpg

• Like 9