Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Referring to the name 'The Mill'.

It may be a boring name but it is fitting, non-descript and not cheesy

Hello, Jason, all.

With your iterative attention to observational detail, and by focusing on ever smaller aspects to build such convincing character, 'The Mill' would seem entirely appropriate!

Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience he stands waiting,
With exactness grinds he all.

Looking forward to your EM oeuvre.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, even though recent thoughts have been of the EM variety, Bacup is still and will remain OO and as such, I've actually had chance to do some modelling this weekend for the first time in over a month. And how has this precious time been spent? Adding numbers, etc., to the wagons I have been building over what seems like an eternity, and I'm still not finished (ran out of numbers for 21 ton hoppers, and the three ex-LNER ones still need painting).

Is it just me, or is numbering stock, even when using Modelmasters transfers, a time consuming affair? For example, with planked wagons, I try and avoid the transfer hanging in the air between planks, so try and cut them, etc., to avoid this. With the Hybar, although the photo shows only half a number (I hadn't noticed until I uploaded them 5 minutes ago), I used HMRS individual transfers - such fun.

(It now has it's full number :) )

So, a not very interesting collection of photos.

Five of the ten 21 ton hoppers I've built (the inside of the one on the left has had a first coat of grot, using a bit of paint I had left over)

Wagonsroll001_zpsce03dcba.jpg

Two wooden bodied mineral wagons

Wagonsroll004_zps24d82325.jpg

Hybar and vac braked Tube

Wagonsroll007_zps9af7c115.jpg

LMS built Tube and 5 plank (LNER built one), which has had a start made on the weathering

Wagonsroll009_zpsf0cd1d3a.jpg

• Like 19

The mill. Quarry bank??? I actually haven't been there yet but its on my list. Glad to see your still modelling. Married life is more ups than downs. Commitment is the key. If it isn't working your not trying hard enough! Lol.  :declare: Trust me it has nothing to do with luck! Will be getting the next copy of BRM then. That will make 3 this year! Bit extravagant. 

Is it just me, or is numbering stock, even when using Modelmasters transfers, a time consuming affair? 

Wagons are the pits when it comes to adding transfers, so don't worry yourself there! Which is why I put any old black backed number on my grey wagons and only concern myself with the regional or P prefix. Wagonmen will send hate letters but there we are.... :no:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Wagons are the pits when it comes to adding transfers, so don't worry yourself there! Which is why I put any old black backed number on my grey wagons and only concern myself with the regional or P prefix. Wagonmen will send hate letters but there we are.... :no:

I remember the joy of adding the correct individual coach numbers to a load of Southern sets I made up a few years back. Some 30 coaches in all plus set numbers. Sanity was stretched.

• RMweb Premium

Those wagons are coming along very nicely. Know what you mean about how long it takes though. The Catfish I just finished for BCB has 28 individual bits of transfer to make up the markings that I wanted!

I've not tried it myself but think microsol/set might help with your gaps between planks.

• RMweb Premium

Those wagons are coming along very nicely. Know what you mean about how long it takes though. The Catfish I just finished for BCB has 28 individual bits of transfer to make up the markings that I wanted!

I've not tried it myself but think microsol/set might help with your gaps between planks.

Have you tried Cambridge Custom Transfers, they're great and I wish I'd found them years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Hope I'm not teaching grandma but... I put a patch of gloss clear varnish on models with matt finish before adding numbers etc as they stick better, then go over with matt varnish. For my next trick - to teach an old dog...

Just had a quick and probably pathetic thought re numbering wagons. AFAIK you can buy blank transfer sheets that you are able to print what you want on, but the vast majority of colour printers do not come with white ink.

So why not paint white on the wagon side where the numbers are going and just print the black rectangle 'background' of the numbers leaving the chosen numbers blank on the transfer so the white shows through.

Probably been thought of before by several people and dismissed, but it would allow you to use one custom transfer per number rather than placing individual digits.

Boogy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The article brings home to me the quality and painstaking attention to detail which you have lavished on Bacup.

Even under the unforgiving eye of the extreme close-up photos that Andy has done, it's hard to find a detail out of place.

I'm damn sure the same could not be said of my layout at the moment, and if I can get it anywhere near as good i'll be very proud, as I'm sure you are.

Congratulations Jason, it's brilliant.

Even under the unforgiving eye of the extreme close-up photos that Andy has done, it's hard to find a detail out of place.

You won't; Bacup is superbly tidy (in a grotty sense), it's quite a rare trait that I can count the modellers on the fingers of one hand who have the attention to detail to make whatever they do look just right. Said through the hypercritical eye of the lens as I work on an image.

• Like 6