Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Glad you are enjoying my threads which, if I am being honest, are a bit repetitive (I'm building some houses; I'm building some more; repeat until fade). I hope that what I put is down to Earth; I am on a huge learning curve with this project, in many cases am making it up / discovering how to do things as I go along and hopefully, am showing that if a ham- fisted fool like me can do it, then so can others.

There us a long way to go with this project but I intend to document it all, successes and failures so on that distant day when it is (almost) finished, I can look back at this and hopefully see my progression. I am sure that I will bore a lot of people along the way :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anyone who has seen my Buildings thread in Scenery, Structures and Transport will already know that I am spending far too much time on the buildings for Bacup and nowhere near enough with actually getting on with the layout itself. Hopefully, this post will be the kick up the backside I need but probably won't as there are slates to be stuck on, buildings to be painted, etc.

Anyway, for those who don't venture outside of the Layouts forum (as I myself didn't for a long time), here are a few shots of what I've been concentrating on so far and the reason why nothing else has been done, why all my locos and stock are in boxes, why my new Digitrax Super Chief Extra controller (best name ever; if there was a nerd Super Hero, that is what he would be called) has never even had power through it, etc.

Can you tell I've been off the booze for a couple of months and don't know that many people in Oxford?

Bacupstoneterraces343.jpg

Edited, because I tried to get all cocky and embed a link but failed, AGAIN. Here is the link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40873-buildings-for-bacup/

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I say there has been no other progress, that's not strictly true; I did go to town on building turnouts and would have got them all done (3 to do) if I hadn't run out of bullhead rail - 10 Metres sounds like such a lot but it wasn't enough. I still need to file between the rails on the majority of them, as you will see.

The 3 way turnout is my pride and joy as it was as confusing as hell to work out how to get the template done in Templot and then how to actually build it. I just hope the bloody thing works when wired in - stock has been run through it and all seems fine :D

Bacupstoneterraces344.jpg

Bacupstoneterraces345.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Paul, that'll be the new build with it's freshly glued roof formers on. Tomorrow's job will be to print off and cut out the slates but as I'll need at least 2 sheets of A4's worth, I can't face starting tonight as I'm not really looking forward to it (the blister has only just gone down from cutting the last lot out).

The nutters will be inside the pub (where else?). I'm going to try and avoid cameos and cliches as much as possible; it will be modelled as mid-afternoon and mid-week so that there are not too many people on the streets and station, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just received an order from C&L (10 more metres of bullhead, Tortoise point motors and assorted gubbins) and by mistake, I seem to have ordered some EM track gauges. First thing I thought was 'Oh ######' but then the mind starts wandering and temptation leans in and tells me to model in EM rather than 00. But I can't; I've got a lot of stock that would need re-wheeling, have already built a load of trackwork, etc., etc.

Thing is, I do have a blue 08, class 25 and the somewhat forgotten and out of period Thomas Hill Vanguard, all bought on various whims and all likely to remain boxed until the 32nd of Neverember unless, at some point, I build another layout to run them on. Aaaaaargh; Satan is at work here and let me tell you, the real number of the beast isn't 666 but 18.2

As for Bacup (which will be continuing as before), I'm currently cutting sleepers from PCB and i's the least enjoyable part of building track if you ask me. What are they for, you ask? The two platform release crossovers, that's what. The original ones I built are okay and may well find use elsewhere but after printing off a bit more of the Templot for the full layout, the transition curve was just a bit too tight. That's what comes of using the SMP template rather than Templot printouts I guess.

No layout photos today (nothing worth taking a photo of) so here is one of me, laughing at my mate, who has just crashed into that tree stump and is writhing in agony on the floor.

7120_164020639544_666484544_2673601_2360582_n.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the end, I did make some progress - sleepers cut from PCB, glued to the templates and the crossing vee's started (using the Brian Harrap suggested method from his fantastically helpful thread - see link below). I didn't get round to soldering and filing the vee's tonight because I've been in the pub for a few scoops and didn't trust myself and a hot soldering iron, but it's on the To Do list for tomorrow.

However (and completely off topic), whilst in the pub, I got chatting to a bloke who is the spitting image of Ian Curtis although shamefully, he had no idea who Mr Curtis was.

All the sleepers glued down:

Bacupstoneterraces347.jpg

The crossing vee's, awaiting soldering and filing into shape:

Bacupstoneterraces348.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37678-handbuilt-track/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's times when I really do wonder whether I've taken on too much but then you get something done and it gives you that kick up the backside to continue. I've had a relatively quiet day at work today and managed to get the first of the crossovers for the station almost completed. So, as you do, I offered them up to the Templot plan, loosely chucked a few lengths of flexi on and took a few pics. Worth the effort of learning Templot and how to build track? Definitely.

You can (sort of) see where I have marked the baseboards up for chopping; this weekend's job (if I don't get distracted)

LYRSBacupImages022.jpg

Much better than the original turnouts I built for here; I built them as a unit so they would flow into each other better

LYRSBacupImages024.jpg

What the hell is an 08 doing at Bacup? Demolition train? It looks that way at the moment

LYRSBacupImages025.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've finally made progress with the baseboards. Now I am what you may call useless at woodwork; always was, always will be. But, sometimes you have to face your demons and just get on with things so with the girlfriend away for the day, I cracked out the jigsaw, drill and hammer (which must have pleased my neighbours no end).

I'd already marked out the trackbed and decided on the height (75mm above the baseboard frame so I ploughed on and below is where I am currently at. Still to do is the other leg of the 'L' but that's not going to be in the same league of complexity as these were, especially around the goods yard board (where there is hardly a straight edge anywhere).

I still need to add some bracing to the station boards and make sure everything is level although I won't be permanently fixing it to the frames until all the fiddly bits are done (wiring, point motors, etc), meaning that I can lift them sections out, module-style. another task will be to cut various sheets of ply to the size of the area in front of and behind the raised section, so that scenery can then be formed properly.

I actually feel like I've got somewhere towards actually having a layout today, rather than just building track and buildings.

Looking towards the station

Baseboardsup4-1.jpg

Looking away from the station

Baseboardsup3-1.jpg

Where the road bridge will be situated

Baseboardsup2-1.jpg

Black Five shunts a couple of wagons (well, I say shunts; it's just resting on a length of flexi). Getting decent lighting is on the 'to do' list

Baseboardsup6-1.jpg

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress yesterday but a quite important step was completed.

First, I started to add a thin (3.6mm) layer of ply to the non-trackbed baseboard level so that scenery can be built on top of it, although I ran out pretty quickly and haven't actually attached it yet. They are cut so that they butt up against the raised section, which as mentioned above, has been built so that it can be removed to simplify track laying, working on the scenics at the back of the layout, etc. The plan is to eventually attach it so that it will still be removeable (e.g. not permanently attached to the framework) as if I ever move, etc., it should be easier to move. Anyway, you may spot a gap at the end of the thin ply base section - bad cutting by me. Doesn't matter though; it will be underneath scenery.

I also drilled pilot holes for the point motors and checked that nothing will foul the positioning of the motors under the baseboards. As planned (and with a bit of luck), there is sufficient clearance for the motors although there are a few places where I will be using the shallower Fulgurex and other places, Tortoise motors.

Bacupprogresses005.jpg

More importantly, I gapped all the PCB on the turnouts (with the exception of the 3 way, which has me a bit stumped at the moment but I'll get there), dug out my old Dynamis controller and a Jinty, and checked that there were no shorts, which there weren't. Relieved? Oh yes. And finally, as mentioned in my Status Update, I've started to fill the gaps in the PCB with Milliput. Good grief, how frustrating? Done two and a half turnouts so far (except sanding, got to wait for it to dry first obviously) and thought to myself that Peco's turnouts may have their faults but boy, are they easy to use.

Scruffy filler - I'm sure most of it will fall out when I come to sand them, at which point I will swear like a Docker who has caught his manhood in his fly

Bacupprogresses003.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I nipped out at lunch time to get some flowers (to keep the missus happy tomorrow) and just happened to park outside B&Q so after I'd picked up a lovely bunch of carnations (no expense spared), I got three sheets of 6mm ply. As mentioned in my previous post, I'd started to infill the bare frames with 3.6mm ply, which I ran out of and when picking up sheets in B&Q, it was a bit too flimsy so I upped the thickness, replaced what had been done before and job's a good 'un. Extended lunch hour you say? Well, Monday's are never that busy.

So, with terra firma now cut to size, I couldn't resist.

Over the rooftops and up the hill to the station

Bacupprogresses019.jpg

Looking down the hill we can see the signal box (plan is to scratchbuild Bacup Box at some point) and some warehouses in an area which I've not decided upon yet

Bacupprogresses015.jpg

Is this a cliche shot? Bus UNDER a bridge, over which the only pure L&Y engine I currently own shunts an ex LMS CCT (Parkside kit).

Bacupprogresses018.jpg

I really should stop staging all these shots but, well, you know.......

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Success. I filed and sanded the filler in the point gaps and it didn't fall out, apart from a couple of tiny chips although they can easily be refilled (and to tell you the truth, you'd be hard pushed to spot them). I can now start on the rest.

Bacupprogresses021.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The past few days, when I look at what I've done, it doesn't look like I have made much progress but a lot of the small, hardly noticeable, fiddly things do take time and they all need doing.

First, a personal update. I had to go to the dentists on Tuesday to have four teeth out. Yep, four. At once. Two knackered wisdom teeth, one that was badly cracked (basically a stub) and one that looked healthy but has caused more abcesses than you can imagine. All back teeth though, so I've still got my 'lovely' smile. The end result of that is that I am on pain killers, have eaten nothing but soup all week and as a result, am feeling as weak as a kitten and a bit out of it.

Anyway, progress.

Lots of strips of slates cut and glued to the Farfield Tavern and connected row of houses, lead flashing and rendering added to the chimney stacks. First coat of paint on the roofs, a thinned mix (lots more thin coats to go):

Feedback001.jpg

Chimney pots added to a few of the other houses and the station building. They look pretty weird in silver:

Feedback002.jpg

Feedback005.jpg

And I've also filled a load more gaps in the PCB sleepers on the points but nobody wants to see a(nother) photo of that.

I'm off to the Watford show tomorrow so if you see someone with a swollen face looking sorry for himself and drinking soup, that'll be me. Or, look back up the thread to the photo of me laughing at my mate. Disclaimer: I won't be wearing biking gear and a helmet tomorrow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm impressed with your buildings. A bit tedious I would think building similar terrace buildings, but do look good though.

The gap-filling on the copper-clad is indeed very tedious, but certainly worthwhile and barely noticeable once the track has been painted!

• RMweb Gold

I'm amazed that more people are not following this blog - a great layout in the making. Surprised that you don't look into some other techniques to avoid some of the repetitive stuff. I would definitely have drawn up one bay of the station canopy and got it photo-etched 18 times. And I would be asking a mate who is good with resin to do some of the houses as well.

By the way, I've got a copy of that book. That photo has always appealed to me as a modeliing project.