Newcastle Quayside NER Bo Bo build. Finished, plus some wagons.

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Premium

As I've mostly been building 4mm NG items for the past few weeks, I thought that I'd post some news about a 2mm loco that I've been working on. The loco is being built from one of the reduced size etches from the Judith Edge range, very nice it is too. The 4mm version is designed for either a Black beetle or Tenshodo motor bogie so for 2mm you have to come up with some form of power unit of your own devising, although for N gauge it is possible that one of the small Japanese chassis might fit. After a bit of thought and a touch of borrowing from the small chassis designs on the Nigel Lawton webpage I came up with a kit of parts :-

post-3457-0-78799000-1322436873.jpg

which when assembled gives you this (wheelbase 13mm).

post-3457-0-00143600-1322436972.jpg

the bogie ran very well after a bit of gear mesh adjustment, so a bit of work on the body and a chance to bluetack a body side onto the baseplate structure and have a rough check of clearances.

post-3457-0-89574200-1322437230.jpg

so far, so good!

Alex.

That's looking very nice Alex. I have one of the NER EF1 (Shildon-Newport) Bo-Bo etches to build at some point (as well as one of the Raven 2-Co-2 express passenger loco etches :O ). Are you intending to motorize the second bogie as well?

What sort of reduction does the gearing give you?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Michael and Andy.

I'm not sure how the gearing works out, first stage is 7 tooth driving 30 tooth, the second stage is 14:1 - I was really just using whatever I could find that would fit. The kit of parts photo is of the second bogie, I'm hopeful that one will work OK because an unpowered end will leave lots of room for a DCC chip and stayalive, and also because I have two of these kits and it will be great if I don't have to build four powered bogies.

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Rich,

I think that they do, a bit. Looks a bit hairy photographed from that angle, doesn't it? In fact the motor shaft is about 4 - 5 degrees off the horizontal, which in my experience nylon gears will cope with quite well, if carefully meshed. The motor unit runs very well, both on the test track and on my rolling road, but I am gradually moving toward motorizing both bogies. I've been running a two axle unit about the same size as the ES1 bogie with a friction drive first stage and becoming more and more impressed with it's smoothness, so I may well make a move in that direction.

I also like the look of the friction drive. I cannot remember where I saw one on here last but they seem to have an advantage over gears in that you can have a very small primary wheel when compared with a gear and therefore get a higher reduction in the same space.

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant, I've got the ES1 and EF1 etches, had only considered building the ES1 as a static and motorising the EF1 but may be convinced otherwise. The ES1 has been one of my favourite locomotives for a long time, great looking design, interesting history, Edwardian, and more importantly North Eastern Railway

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, the gears come from an internet shop called Mikroantriebe KKPMO, try www.shop.kkpmo.com. I've dealt with them for a while now and always found them very reliable. Be warned though - the website is full of small motors and gearboxes, very addictive.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

This is looking great Alex. I've got the 4mm version which is still not finished and may never be now I've shifted my Tyne Yard to Tyneside! Hope you get it working with a panto. I have a very soft spot for these loco's having seen both during visits to the area in 1960/1/2.

Phil @ 36E

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments, it's been a while since my last update - work has however progressed on the model albeit slowly. Latest news is that the chassis unit is built and wired (DC only for the moment) and runs well with a little weight added, the next job is to get the body detailed. It's not easy to take pics. of something this size in matt black primer but here is an attempt, at least. I've been looking at Pete's latest Kyle postings and I'm now thinking about a boxfile type Trafalgar Yard setting for it.

Alex.

post-3457-0-93027900-1328537507.jpg

post-3457-0-61978900-1328537521.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hello Michael, all the fittings are made from cut up tender axleboxes and springs, alloy tube, plasticard and odd bits of leftover etch, I couldn't find anything useable on the market.

Nick, the first stage plastic gears come from an internet shop called Mikroantriebe KKPMO, try www.shop.kkpmo.com. The second stage is two Tenshodo worms and gears on a ballraced layshaft.

Alex.

Archived