Newcastle Quayside NER Bo Bo build. Finished, plus some wagons.

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at Pete's latest Kyle postings and I'm now thinking about a boxfile type Trafalgar Yard setting for it.

ooops...all my fault...apologies for that... :D

It looks rather smart in that matt black livery Alex...what's the proposed final livery colour?

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Porco, I've just tried out the chassis, with the addition of a little weight it pushed 9 wagons (5 16 ton, 4 Mathieson) on my short length of test track, maybe more when properly set up.

Pete, I had started out with the intention of doing the (final) NER lined green scheme but I've come to like the plain black with number and cycling lion more. A couple of photos show the loco as being fairly dirty so a bit of weathering will bring out the detail, hopefully. It occured to me whilst admiring Kyle that a boxfile layout of Trafalgar Yard would work quite well - mind you so would the Quayside, maybe two small layouts connected..........curved foamboard tunnel..............hmmmmm.

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a bit of a lull ( holiday followed by an heavy cold) the ES1 is just about finished:-

post-3457-0-75186100-1331685030.jpg

post-3457-0-80598400-1331685115.jpg

I also managed to finish some 2mm Association 16 ton mineral wagons as NCB internal user wagons.

post-3457-0-09124500-1331685250.jpg

post-3457-0-00484100-1331685278.jpg

thanks for looking and also for the feedback.

Alex.

Very nice - which is something of an understatement, given the size and engineering that's gone into it - though the loco is slightly spoiult by the use of what looks like 'Rail Alphabet' (i.e. blue era) lettering rather than the correct Gil Sans and this jars a bit and, despite the size, this is noticeable. Sorry if this sounds churlish but it detracts from this fine, fine model.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Very nice - which is something of an understatement, given the size and engineering that's gone into it - though the loco is slightly spoiult by the use of what looks like 'Rail Alphabet' (i.e. blue era) lettering rather than the correct Gil Sans and this jars a bit and, despite the size, this is noticeable. Sorry if this sounds churlish but it detracts from this fine, fine model.

Adam

It may show in the enlarged photo but I doubt you would notice on a layout. It is a lovely model.

Don

That looks really great! It almost makes me want to have a go myself - but too many other projects to finish first, maybe! Do the makers keep these kits in stock, or do you have to order them specially? How much do they cost, please?

After a bit of a lull ( holiday followed by an heavy cold) the ES1 is just about finished:-

Alex.

I've been following your build with admiration. As you can tell from my avatar I love the prototype, and you have beautifully captured it. Staggering work in 2mm

Paul

• RMweb Premium

That looks superb, never mind the incorrect number style. I've seen a few 4mm ones that aren't as good as this.

We do have these etches in stock - £16 each including postage. Don't forget there are no mouldings with these 2mm etches, just the etch in .010" n/s, drawing and 4mm instructions.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

That looks superb, never mind the incorrect number style. I've seen a few 4mm ones that aren't as good as this.

We do have these etches in stock - £16 each including postage. Don't forget there are no mouldings with these 2mm etches, just the etch in .010" n/s, drawing and 4mm instructions.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Couldn't you do the instructions full size - that way they would be much easier to read ;)

• RMweb Gold

As a general rule is makes sense to get any etches when the become available the smaller number of 2mm moellers means that re-runs cannot be guarranteed, at £16 it is not going to break the bank.

Don

Hello Alex.

I want to add to the compliments as well. The engine looks absolutely fantastic, the quality of finish is extremely high and its to your credit.

Now that's a definate competition entry if I ever saw one!

Please keep the posts comming...

Missy :)

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your likes and your extremely kind comments - the etches were really very good and a pleasure to build. To answer Chessieliner I almost went with the lined green scheme this time, I have another set of etches so if I build them it"ll be a green one next. I still intend to rebuild the power bogie as a friction drive, both to gain a lower gear ratio and to eliminate a very slight "notching" which can be seen when pulling away. I have found to my dismay that I've spent most of the day studying photos of the Quayside lower yard and looking for good 2mm brick building sheets so I may yet build something for the ES1 to run on, and if I made a J72 to go with it I'd have the complete loco roster for the branch.

Many thanks also to the fellow RMers who shared photos and info.

Alex.

My word Alex - that's something a bit special. The depth of the details on the bogies are particularly well bought out by the weathering, giving it that lovely heavy look.

Top notch!

Pix

post-3457-0-75186100-1331685030.jpg

post-3457-0-80598400-1331685115.jpg

I also managed to finish some 2mm Association 16 ton mineral wagons as NCB internal user wagons.

post-3457-0-09124500-1331685250.jpg

post-3457-0-00484100-1331685278.jpg

Alex.

Alex

In the photo of the wagons what are the couplings? They look a bit like 3 link if so what do you use for coupling and uncoupling?

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Alan, iak and Pixie.

Bogieman, the couplings used are the semi - permanantly fixed Mathieson 3 links, so these wagons will be used in their fixed rakes. As for shuntable couplings, when I get to that point I suppose the visually unattractive DG's are a possibility, although a recent RM thread concerning mini - magnets and magnetic couplings was very interesting and I intend to research further.

Alex.

Archived