Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

He was bundled off here for similar disparaging remarks in more than one thread, which overshadows the fact that he may well be right. A bit Pyrrhic, really.

And I feel sorry for him, because if his whole modelling life revolves around obsessively seeking the flaws in others' efforts, it can't be much fun. And that sort of prolonged negativity can impact health. Not good as we get older. 

I've known Adrian for something around 50 years, since my friends Tony Dyer and John Senior persuaded him to go full-time doing pattern-making and casting for their Mopok range, among many others. He made most of the patterns for my range of castings, too. He is a highly skilled pattern-maker, produced some very fine kits, and has an immense, detailed knowledge of prototype carriages and wagons. Personally, I would never doubt the accuracy of his research. However, he has little understanding of the ready-to-run market and a complete failure to grasp the economic realities of producing model trains which require an investment of a six-figure sum for each item and which are produced at arm's length half a world away in a country whose business practices differ greatly from our own. I recently had an an e-mail from Adrian in which he describes my reviews of the Carflat and  Gate Stock as a 'whitewash' of 'awful' models. He tells me that there's only one way I can redeem myself but fails to tell me what that is. Perhaps it's just as well!  (CJL)

Apart from waiting about forty years for an Adams Radial after Wrenn put their picture in their catalogue this is the longest build up that I have ever come across for a model. I have seen three reviews and the models have been discussed at length.

Every time I look at this topic I hope to see that they have arrived and someone is running them on their layout. Perhaps I will be in luck before the year is out.

• Like 1

There is another aspect to the ranting rhetoric elsewhere.  It is one thing to repeat, time and time again, some matters of detail concerning particular models and as has been said, these compromises will have been part of the decision making process for those producing the models.  We can all make our own judgements about what we accept or not.  Many have seen the pictures and are looking forward with considerable enthusiasm to getting them.

Those producing the models have to satisfy the people who might choose [or not] to purchase them in order to make sufficient profit to survive.  They also have to satisfy any Share holders and of course the Laws pertinent to the process.  Apparently, now there is another layer they must take into consideration.  Demands have now been made for the CADs and other decisions to be presented, for inspection so that said rhetoric monger can deliver further analysis.  

I feel sorry for him, we only get to read it, others are the butt of it, but finding that all that is in your own head must be ghastly.

J

Apart from waiting about forty years for an Adams Radial after Wrenn put their picture in their catalogue this is the longest build up that I have ever come across for a model. I have seen three reviews and the models have been discussed at length.

Every time I look at this topic I hope to see that they have arrived and someone is running them on their layout. Perhaps I will be in luck before the year is out.

Somehow I think one or two will be at Warley and hopefully on layouts operating there - other than that Camel Quay is due at Manchester in early Dec where there are planned to be Gate Stock services.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Kernow themselves had a crimson set on the layout in their shop window when I was in there a couple of weeks ago.

Set 373 worked an excursion on the Lyme Regis branch, though (naturally) not in pull-push mode.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact date or which of the (far too many) books in my collection features the photos.

John

Kernow themselves had a crimson set on the layout in their shop window when I was in there a couple of weeks ago.

Set 373 worked an excursion on the Lyme Regis branch, though (naturally) not in pull-push mode.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact date or which of the (far too many) books in my collection features the photos.

John

You will probably find the answer somewhere in the last 630 posts. Meanwhile there is a picture of set 373 at Plymstock on 2 May 1959 by J.H.Aston on page 41 of An Illustrated History of Southern Pull-Push Stock by Mike King. I have forgotten which book I saw the set at Swanage station now.

• Like 1

My Gate Stock will be operating in the South West shire county of Ruleoneshire, there are no pictures of the coaches or locomotives that hauled them but I understand from locals that the coaches were Maunsell lined green and the locomotives would be an 02 or M7 suitably fitted with MU equipment.

• Like 6

Somehow I think one or two will be at Warley and hopefully on layouts operating there - other than that Camel Quay is due at Manchester in early Dec where there are planned to be Gate Stock services.

Camel Quay was originally conceived on the back of Kernow's announcement of the Gate Stock some 6 years ago along with the already available Beatie Well Tank.

After some years of pushing/pulling a somewhat out of place 'stand in' Maunsell Pull/Push set i'm really looking forward to getting the Gate Stock behind the P/P fitted O2 or M7.

Finger crossed they'll arrive in time for Manchester.

• Like 4

My Gate Stock will be operating in the South West shire county of Ruleoneshire, there are no pictures of the coaches or locomotives that hauled them but I understand from locals that the coaches were Maunsell lined green and the locomotives would be an 02 or M7 suitably fitted with MU equipment.

MU equipment indeed, utter tosh, shouldn't be allowed on this forum, muppet.

I've known Adrian for something around 50 years, since my friends Tony Dyer and John Senior persuaded him to go full-time doing pattern-making and casting for their Mopok range, among many others. He made most of the patterns for my range of castings, too. He is a highly skilled pattern-maker, produced some very fine kits, and has an immense, detailed knowledge of prototype carriages and wagons. Personally, I would never doubt the accuracy of his research. However, he has little understanding of the ready-to-run market and a complete failure to grasp the economic realities of producing model trains which require an investment of a six-figure sum for each item and which are produced at arm's length half a world away in a country whose business practices differ greatly from our own. I recently had an an e-mail from Adrian in which he describes my reviews of the Carflat and  Gate Stock as a 'whitewash' of 'awful' models. He tells me that there's only one way I can redeem myself but fails to tell me what that is. Perhaps it's just as well!  (CJL)

I’m sure that you’re not much worried by such an accusation but for what it’s worth, I sampled another magazine once which did produce a whitewash. I haven’t bought it since but I value your reviews as informative and fair.

• Like 2

I remember that picture, even saved up my pocket-money waiting for it to appear  :(. Didn't it turn out to be a Keyser model rather than a production prototype?

Chris.

I remember that picture, even saved up my pocket-money waiting for it to appear  :(. Didn't it turn out to be a Keyser model rather than a production prototype?

Chris.

I'm still waiting for the LNER J67/69 that Liliput advertised at the Toy Fair in 1961!  I have built two Wills kits in the meantime.

Roger

• Like 2

I've been running my set for some time and at at least one show. It runs well with no wobbling, the bar couplings are a good idea (I use the short ones). I've put it up against the drawings in Pull-Push by Mike King and there are a couple of differences. The main ones being underneath but these are difficult to spot without A: A drawing and B: lifting the coach off the track.

I don't know about you but anyone lifting my stock off the track at a show is definitely off the Christmas card list and even possibly in A&E.

The alternative is a kit and having done the Jidenco one, a Kernow and a craft knife is a quicker way forward. However I'd consider the extra damage you'd cause while moving bits around and make a good plan of action before starting.

CATpost-4827-0-17448700-1509992202.jpg

post-4827-0-15462500-1509993475.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I am really looking forward to receiving mine. What i cannot understand is that although the ship docked in Southampton at 01.39 yesterday and its only a mere ten miles from there to Bishopstoke Junction, the coaches have not arrived yet. I find it incredible in this day and age when you can get anything delivered from one of the big retailers within an hour the model railway industry is so slow. I do not know how I will survive without them for a whole week or possibly more. I may be forced to do some modelling.

Happy days everyone and to those who have ordered I hope you will enjoy them as much as me. 

all the best

Godfrey

PS thanks for the photos CAT Ford really excellent!

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to receiving mine. What i cannot understand is that although the ship docked in Southampton at 01.39 yesterday and its only a mere ten miles from there to Bishopstoke Junction, the coaches have not arrived yet. I find it incredible in this day and age when you can get anything delivered from one of the big retailers within an hour the model railway industry is so slow. I do not know how I will survive without them for a whole week or possibly more. I may be forced to do some modelling.

Happy days everyone and to those who have ordered I hope you will enjoy them as much as me. 

all the best

Godfrey

Dear Godfrey,

If the prospect of modelling for a whole week is filling you with fear.....then you could spend the week working at Alton Models providing your usual excellent service !

I'm sure Paul would be most pleased !

You should know by now that the model railway industry relish being cruel to their customers.

Edited by CLIVE MARK

How on earth have we lived for so long without these excellent products?? Shock horror gasp!

It was in 1963 when CJ Freezer published plans of these in the Railway Modeller and me being about 10 at the time made some out of cardboard, so I haven't really missed out at all. Mine didn't last long.

• Like 2

all the best

Godfrey

SCT give 5 days free on the quay before the demurrage kicks in....

What i cannot understand is that although the ship docked in Southampton at 01.39 yesterday and its only a mere ten miles from there to Bishopstoke Junction, the coaches have not arrived yet. I find it incredible in this day and age when you can get anything delivered from one of the big retailers within an hour the model railway industry is so slow.

It takes just bit longer to unload a ship, work through customs and security and to distribute the cargo than it does to pop down to the local post office.

Edited by KymN

Tongue-in-cheek humour is clearly unknown in South Australia. 

:jester:

Must be all those German settlers we had in the old days.   :drink_mini: