Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

Hi Mighty,

I found the link while googling and just thought there might be some interest there for others, or at least it would give a lead for further research. On a personal level I've had nothing to do with SR coaches for some years since my good friend Derek Lawrence passed away as I have little interest in the Southern and its constituents.

I'm stunned. I can't help but smile when I think back 30 odd years to the RTR situation for those of us with an interest in things Southern and remember my Wrenn R1, Hornby E2 and the rather dodgy Hornby King Arthur . Things have certainly come a long way but I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd get a RTR Beattie well tank let alone a gate set. At just under a hundred quid it might sound expensive but I think it's a reasonable price compared with the cost and time for doing something in brass. I don't have any of the bigger Southern RTR offerings (Arthurs, pacifics etc) but all these smaller items are right up my street for my standard gauge interests these days. The order has been placed.

Thank you Kernow.

Patrick

• RMweb Premium

Exactly that. No deposits taken. Your order number will determine how soon your model is sent just as per the well tanks and all their other orders. First in best dressed.

..just remember to keep Kernow up to date with one's valid card details, to avoid undue stress/disappointment.

In terms of liveries and specifically the BR(S) Green, can I vote for a match to the Hornby Maunsell shade rather than the latest Bachmann Bulleid shade?

Also a decent crimson please, not something more like maroon or that purply shade of Hornby's Van C.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt Kernow will do it's homework. Or it could simply send a dry sample of Railmatch No.311 blood to China....Job sorted.

Assuming they view the sample under lighting at the correct colour temperature, and have the same colour vision as you.

• RMweb Gold

Or Model Rail should have deferred it to next month. Presumably they knew the embargo date and everyone knows subscription copies land before the official on sale date.

But regardless, well done Kernow!

Kernow Models have asked me to make it clear that Model Rail have not broken any embargo, these models were due to be announced at Warley but Kernow Models held it for two weeks to allow them chance to clear the many orders for the extremely large batch of deliveries that were received in the week prior to Warley. They thought they would be OK with this but the subscriber copies landed earlier than expected.

In terms of liveries and specifically the BR(S) Green, can I vote for a match to the Hornby Maunsell shade rather than the latest Bachmann Bulleid shade?

Also a decent crimson please, not something more like maroon or that purply shade of Hornby's Van C.

Points on colour duly noted and I concurr with the preferred match to the Hornby Maunsell shade of BR(s) shade of green,

I have also updated my press release post above to confirm that item K1001 previously quoted as Set 372 has been amended to Set 363 to refect the fact that the Set 372 was following it being disbanded in 1929, reformed as Set 363 in 1933 and at that time fitted with the standard SR air control.

Also the descriptions on the Kernow website have been updated to reflect the downgrading of the Brake Composite Driving cars to all Thirds and being renumbered post 1939. The error slipped on to the web as I was not able to check these descriptions prior to the web pages going live when the release was made public.

• Like 6

..just remember to keep Kernow up to date with one's valid card details, to avoid undue stress/disappointment.

And this is my problem, my card expires May next year! Ah well, guess I can wait a lil longer before pre-ordering.

Edited by Charlie

• RMweb Premium

And this is my problem, my card expires May next year! Ah well, guess I can wait a lil longer before pre-ordering.

No problem at all.

Pre-order now on your existing card and update the details when your new one arrives.

• RMweb Premium

Will the gates be dcc operated?

Why not? they appear to be able to do this with continental stock without too much bother, it would certainly (Oh... I was going to say 'open the door') inspire other British manufacturers to go down this route

Edited by 7013

Slightly OT, but can someone who knows about such things please enlighten me as to which Dapol/Kernow O2 is fitted with Pull-Push equipment?

The Dapol/Kernow Adams O2 thread seems to suggest 225 is so fitted but the kernow wesite only lists 30182 as being fitted with push-pull equipment.

Edited by tender

Two sorts of push-pull equipment to consider. Many of the O2s were originally fitted with the LSWR wire-and-pulley system, but this was gradually removed by the Southern Railway and five of the class were fitted with the LBSCR compressed air system that we are probably more familiar with. These were 182, 183, 187, 207 and 225. But, after WW2 this was removed from 183 and 225. (Source: Locomotives Illustrated #73, 'South Western 0-4-4Ts').

So, of the Kernow models 30182 is push-pull fitted, and 30225 (correctly for this period) is not. Kernow's 225 in SR black does not appear to be fitted, so presumably represents the immediate post-war period.

• Like 1

Two sorts of push-pull equipment to consider. Many of the O2s were originally fitted with the LSWR wire-and-pulley system, but this was gradually removed by the Southern Railway and five of the class were fitted with the LBSCR compressed air system that we are probably more familiar with. These were 182, 183, 187, 207 and 225. But, after WW2 this was removed from 183 and 225. (Source: Locomotives Illustrated #73, 'South Western 0-4-4Ts').

So, of the Kernow models 30182 is push-pull fitted, and 30225 (correctly for this period) is not. Kernow's 225 in SR black does not appear to be fitted, so presumably represents the immediate post-war period.

Many thanks.

Two sorts of push-pull equipment to consider. Many of the O2s were originally fitted with the LSWR wire-and-pulley system, but this was gradually removed by the Southern Railway and five of the class were fitted with the LBSCR compressed air system that we are probably more familiar with.

IIRC the gate stock was originally built with 3 large end windows, and gained the usual Southern 4 window pull-push driving coach ends at the same time as the change from wire to air control. So a wire control version will need a modified tooling - I guess this is why they aren't being offered in LSWR livery.

• RMweb Gold

My only worry is when these coaches will come out. I want both, but cant afford both at once (maybe not even one in one month and the other the following month). Finances are just too tight at the moment, and I cant see it improving in the next 12 months.

• RMweb Gold

JohnR I am not sure if you are referring to wanting two sets or two coaches as they are only being sold in sets comprising of both coaches for the price quoted. I hope this clarifies.

• RMweb Gold

My only worry is when these coaches will come out. I want both, but cant afford both at once (maybe not even one in one month and the other the following month). Finances are just too tight at the moment, and I cant see it improving in the next 12 months.

It all depends what other demands you have on your income of course but all you need to do is not buy a pint of beer or cider a week for a 12 month and you'll have money to spare, and two coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

JohnR I am not sure if you are referring to wanting two sets or two coaches as they are only being sold in sets comprising of both coaches for the price quoted. I hope this clarifies.

Sorry I wasnt terribly clear - I meant it coming out at the same time as the O2. I cant afford THAT and the coaches at the same time.