Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

It all depends what other demands you have on your income of course but all you need to do is not buy a pint of beer or cider a week for a 12 month and you'll have money to spare, and two coaches.

I dont want this to turn into the "4 Yorkshiremen" sketch, but I dont buy a pint of beer or cider each week...

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered the BR green set, but just a minor qualm - am I right or wrong in thinking that this livery is correct for the last days of these sets?

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I dont want this to turn into the "4 Yorkshiremen" sketch, but I dont buy a pint of beer or cider each week...

You're batting from the same wicket as me in that respect then!. But my point is that they are probably a long way off (but they might arrive early of course) and the 02 is also around a year away so there's time to save if your income allows and that's a couple of £s a week for the coaches over a year. If you can't stretch to saving for both then you've got a choice to make and that probably depends more on getting a specific loco you've identified rather than anything else (well I think that would be my choice as individual locos are I think less likely to be repeated than coaching sets). Nasty choice to have to make alas and clearly no easy answer.

• RMweb Premium

For those who find difficulty funding a purchase but believe they might have some strength of will then try dropping a £1 coin into a jar once or twice a week. By the time the gate stock is released you should have sufficient funds but the trick is to not spend them along the way!

• RMweb Gold

I dont think I'm alone, and I wish Kernow well, and hope they have considered that by staggering the releases of complimentary items such as these (O2 and Gate stock), they can ensure the maximum take up of both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont think I'm alone, and I wish Kernow well, and hope they have considered that by staggering the releases of complimentary items such as these (O2 and Gate stock), they can ensure the maximum take up of both.

You're definitely not alone John and I have pulled back from one or two 'that would be nice to have' pre-orders or purchases because there are simply too many things in the suitable for era/Regional interest arriving or promised.

• Like 1

I've ordered the BR green set, but just a minor qualm - am I right or wrong in thinking that this livery is correct for the last days of these sets?

Some O gauge people don't seem to think so... But who knows - they got quite a lot of paint changes over the years...

• RMweb Gold

As well as Pete's reference above the images of set 373 in BR (s) green that I posted along with the full details of this release on page one of this thread should provide proof what ever the scale of that set being in BR(s) green!

For the record the pictures were taken on the 2nd May 1959 the date of the R.C.T.S. (London Branch)

The Brunel Centenarian & Plymouth District Rail Tour.

• Like 1

Cracking job - just placed my pre-order for a BR(S) set.

Just waiting now for the Adams Radial :locomotive:

If you cannot wait for a r-t-r Adams Radial, Dean Sidings have just produced a resin body kit priced, if I remember correctly, at £67.50. It was at both the Tolworth and Warley shows.

The Maunsell sets only lasted from 1959 until about 1962/3 (and odd vehicles for a little longer) and only carried one livery, so perhaps are a less appealing choice for a manufacturer. They are very iconic though, I suspect largely because they appear in so many photos of doomed branchlines.

The best way to encourage a Maunsell Push-Pull set might be to support the Swanage Railways heritage coach appeal, I understand that a 2 coach push pull might jump the queue if a grant (and match funding) can be achieved. http://www.swanagerailwaytrust.org.uk/index.php/heritage-coach-fund with a full size one running round behind their M7, whats the betting Hornby would want to bring one out?

Although Swanage still aren't promoting a drip-feed fundraising campaign - if everyone who will buy a Kernow gate set also put a pound into the SR fund every month, then the 12"=1' Maunsell set might be up and running by the time Kernow start shiping their little ones.

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
the different gatestock diagrams appeared all over.

And indeed one shall appear on my new and yet to be formally announced project which will be within their area of operation but slightly beyond where the rails actually went. It is encouraging to see that at least one of the four variants has already made Kernow's "Top Ten" best sellers as shown on their web site. That is a sure indication of a sound business decision being made to commission these sets.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just got an email from Kernow announcing these for late 2012 / early 2013

K1001 Dapol 1914 LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set No. 363, SR Lined Maunsell Green.

K1002 Dapol 1914 LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set No. 373, SR unlined Malachite Green.

K1003 Dapol 1914 LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set No. 374, BR Crimson.

K1004 Dapol 1914 LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set No. 373 in BR (SR) Green.

£99.99

Pre-orders invited

Expected late 2012/ early 2013

Sent post free - UK only

Oh dear, as if my wallet doesn't ache enough already!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Yes Peter, good point. So matching gate stock to locos, can anyone tell me which loco would authentically match with K1001 the Liined Maunsell Green coaches ?  It would seem logical to me that we need a lined Maunsell green loco to go with these coaches !

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you bumped this thread as it made me check my order with Kernow. Having done so I think i've discovered a discrepancy in the description of sets 374 (K1001) and 363 (K1003) on the website, the set numbers (or colour/coach number descriptions) seem to be transposed.

Kernow

K1001 Set 374 SR lined Maunsell, coach numbers 6546 and 737

K1003 Set 363 BR Crimson, coach numbers 2624 and 739

Mike King Southern Pull Push Stock

Set 374, coach numbers 2624 and 739 (post 1939)

Set 363, coach numbers 6546 and 737 (pre 1939)

Will give Kernow a ring just to check my order is what I think it is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I confirm that the coach numbers will be correct on the finished items. The Website was amended after the original announcement to swap the liveries of sets 374 and 363 over as set 374 never gained BR Crimson. It appears Kernow have simply swapped the Set number against the livery on the website but not the coach numbers. 

I will advise them accordingly in due course.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

Just out of interest, although it would be tempting to have running powers on my GWR layout, why isn't there an LSWR livery one, and the O2 as well? Is it a marketing thing, or were there physical differences that rule it out?

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest, although it would be tempting to have running powers on my GWR layout, why isn't there an LSWR livery one, and the O2 as well? Is it a marketing thing, or were there physical differences that rule it out?

These sets were introduced in 1914 as Sets 372 to 374 with LSWR wire and pulley pull push system and LSWR driving front end style with three large windows.

Sets 373/4 were converted to Southern Railway air control system in 1929/30 and at the same time gained the standard Southern Railway four window pull push unit style front end.  

Set 272 was disbanded in 1929 (prior to driving front end and air control conversion)  and reformed as set 363 in 1933, with standard SR front and air control, as per sets 373/4.

Therefore LSWR livery is not applicable to the sets in the post 1929 form as being produced by Kernow.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

Therefore LSWR livery is not applicable to the sets in the post 1929 form as being produced by Kernow.

Thanks Graham. That saves me having to even consider spending any money, or having to buy some brown and salmon paint!

• 6 months later...

Product announcements will appear here and please feel free to ask questions on the project that you would like answered.

Please note not all questions will be answered quickly due to the on going development of them.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Kernow have published the decorations that they gate stock will have.

I typed 'kernow gate stock' into google and it lists them all.

As for the timescale? I am currently awaiting the transfer authority to be sent to the factory in China for me to be able to check the current cad/cams.

Once I've done that and made some changes I'm currently talking to Kernow about, I would hope we can start metal cutting soon.

However, it's only speculation depending on how much work has been done, or not, on the cad/cams.

I'm sure I'll be able to firm that up soon, and through Kernow and here, let you all know.

Cheers

Dave