Graham Farish class 47's - which is which?

philiprporter

I've seen a Graham Farish BR Blue class 47 for sale that I would like to buy, but I'm anxious to avoid one of the versions of this model that suffered from scuffing of the bogie bases and a large gap between bogies and body.

I know 47 404 (Hadrian) suffered in these areas (or at least, the version I have does) and that the current 47 403 (The Geordie) does not, but the model I am looking at is 47 035 with domino headcodes.

Can anyone confirm if this version of the 47 has the high-riding, bogie scuffing chassis or not?

Many thanks, Phil.

Looking on the "Past products" section of the Farish website you'll see 47 035 is item no.371-827 while 47 404 is 371-828. So it would seem that these were produced at the same time.

Hope this helps.

This is correct - 47035 in BR Blue was from the first batch, as was '404.

The grounding issue is easy to fix though......

Cheers,

Alan

Many thanks indeed everyone - very helpful. I have fixed the grounding issue on my early GF class 47 (Hadrian) but am not so happy to have a go at reducing the ride height issue, as I suspect this may mean the loco having trouble on first radius curves asthe bogie swing looks really close to the bufferbeam side valance as it is! I hope this isnt going too far off topic, but I've checked the previous postings about the grounding/height issues and couldnt see whether the ride height fix caused issues with travel round tight curves?

If anyone can advise that would be great.

Thanks, Phil.

Archived