Transpennine Electrification : Manchester/Leeds

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Metallic bridges will last indefinitely if Network Rail paint the things. This they prefer not to do. It's cheaper to replace with their galvanised monsters.

Greyhound Bridge at Lancaster has just had a repaint. Built in 1910/11 it served as acrailway bridge till 1966 then in 71/72 had a 3 lane concrete road deck put on it. The road deck has just had a very expensive reconstruction but appare the underlying steel structure just needed a repaint. As it stands in salt water I'm surprised it has lasted so long.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Discussion on other forums suggests they are re-aligning the curve for higher speeds between Manchester and Stalybridge.  

That should help a bit.  IIRC the current speed restriction is 30MPH for the curve leading to and from Miles Platting Junction.  

2 hours ago, 4630 said:

That should help a bit.  IIRC the current speed restriction is 30MPH for the curve leading to and from Miles Platting Junction.  

lots of room to work in as it used to be 4 lines from Baguley fold all the way around to collyhurst Street and down to Oldham Road goods through the platforms at miles platting .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Unless they replace the bridge over Queens Rd, (and cut across the Ready Mix site), I can't see how they can ease the curve any more than it is.

(It is already using the old goods lines alignment over the Queens Rd bridge.)

I think the ""Network Rail compound" is just for access to the running lines to aid OHLE installation.

image.png.42813bd30b918b55342c11d0448f812d.png

(The class 142 flange squeal was/is horrendous around this curve!)

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Unless they replace the bridge over Queens Rd, (and cut across the Ready Mix site), I can't see how they can ease the curve any more than it is.

I think the ""Network Rail compound" is just for access to the running lines to aid OHLE installation.

Kev.

I suspect you're right on both counts. That was my first thought when I drove past. A local "Transport expert" reckons that the £580 million announced by Schapps covered the Huddersfield - Dewsbury scheme, and the completion of the electrification to Stalybridge, and that was it. On the last, surely all that needs to be done is erection of the OLE.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 62613 said:

I suspect you're right on both counts. That was my first thought when I drove past. A local "Transport expert" reckons that the £580 million announced by Schapps covered the Huddersfield - Dewsbury scheme, and the completion of the electrification to Stalybridge, and that was it. On the last, surely all that needs to be done is erection of the OLE.

Pretty much as all the bridges have been raised and the OLE mast positions have been marked out for ages.

The 25kV is already available (and live) along the whole route albeit in the trunking at the line side. This is to provide MV with a second feed.

MV is already wired up to receive EMUs, in all platforms, from the Stalybridge direction.

The real tragedy, is that a quantity of OLE steelwork did exist but was sent for scrap when the Stalybridge electrification portion was paused!

Kev.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SHMD said:

Pretty much as all the bridges have been raised and the OLE mast positions have been marked out for ages.

The 25kV is already available (and live) along the whole route albeit in the trunking at the line side. This is to provide MV with a second feed.

MV is already wired up to receive EMUs, in all platforms, from the Stalybridge direction.

The real tragedy, is that a quantity of OLE steelwork did exist but was sent for scrap when the Stalybridge electrification portion was paused!

Kev.

Yes, the big ticket item was the grid connection at the old power station site east of Stalybridge, which cost several million and I think is sized for electric trains all the way to Standege and beyond.  These grid connections are, as far as I know, the single most expensive  and longest lead items of most schemes.  Hopefully the, one bite at a time, approach will get the central section of the route done sooner rather than later. It's interesting that the Huddersfield, Leeds scheme inculdes another grid connection at Thornhill again on the old power station site.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

What beats me is why nothing is being done on the Stalybridge - Guide Bridge line, which seems like an easy win to me. Some of the old MSW masts are still standing, though I dread to think what condition they are in. Someone made some money from that scrap!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's interesting that the Huddersfield, Leeds scheme inculdes another grid connection at Thirnhill Thornhill again on the old power station site.

Jamie

Edited above for clarity.  I know it was a typo Jamie, but others might not !

I'm fairly sure that that was always the intention, Jamie.  Even in the earlier iterations of the various electrification plans between Leeds and Huddersfield in recent years.

Edited by 4630

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

What beats me is why nothing is being done on the Stalybridge - Guide Bridge line, which seems like an easy win to me. Some of the old MSW masts are still standing, though I dread to think what condition they are in. Someone made some money from that scrap!

The Stalybridge to Guide bridge section has had all the OLE Mast positions marked out, at the same time as the Stalybridge to Miles Platting Mast positions, were marked out.

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

I believe the replacement of that bridge is included, but I can't track down any paperwork online.  

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 62613 said:

It was in the scope of the old Stalybridge - Manchester scheme. Integrating it properly with the existing Hadfield branch system is actually more of a hassle than it might seem at first because of the different properties of the supplies mean that a lot of work would be needed to upgrade it.

Whether it's in the scope of a revived scheme I couldn't say.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

but there already is/was a huge rail connected compound for the OLE  at collyhurst along the Oldham Road goods viaduct used to deliver "fixings" into in my previous job . granted access was a bit poor by road .used to see a green class 09 shunter parked there notice its now on the stop blocks of the old cement sidings over queens Road opposite where Miles Platting box stood ( now the fast lines ) 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2020 at 13:11, Edwin_m said:

I believe the replacement of that bridge is included, but I can't track down any paperwork online.  

I went past this slow tight curve, (at the former Miles Platting station), today.

They have eased the curve by 5 or 6 meters at the apex. (Earth/ballast works only at this stage.)

They must be replacing the bridge Queens Rd to allow the smooth transition onto the new alignment.

It still looks tight and I cant see there being that much of an increase in line speed.

I also wonder if this work has been one of those "bolt on" projects, that are added to the electrifications cost that makes electrification costs spiral out of control?

I also wonder if Ashton Jn. remodelling costs and the refurbishment of Ashton station was also added/hidden/bolted onto the electrification of Manchester to Stalybridge?

Kev.

13 hours ago, SHMD said:

I went past this slow tight curve, (at the former Miles Platting station), today.

They have eased the curve by 5 or 6 meters at the apex. (Earth/ballast works only at this stage.)

They must be replacing the bridge Queens Rd to allow the smooth transition onto the new alignment.

It still looks tight and I cant see there being that much of an increase in line speed.

I also wonder if this work has been one of those "bolt on" projects, that are added to the electrifications cost that makes electrification costs spiral out of control?

I also wonder if Ashton Jn. remodelling costs and the refurbishment of Ashton station was also added/hidden/bolted onto the electrification of Manchester to Stalybridge?

Kev.

maybe its not to do with line speed as such more to do with wear and tear maintainance etc due to the tight curvature of the curve ease it out and there is less maintianace /flange wear etc 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went past Miles Platting again today. This time i snapped a few phots through the class150's slightly dirty windows.

09009 at it's stabling point.

The new curve can be seen behind the cab.

1264648071_20201212_135453-Copy.jpg.da9acffc4d6fa57dcdd25d3bc9737a08.jpg

Travelling towards Stalybridge, this view shows where the new bridge over Queens road will be.

Most of the new embankment is now cleared and topped off with ballast

1880627549_20201212_135455-Copy.jpg.a6370804dad78e245fdbe85eae33014f.jpg

I wonder what the increase in line speed will be? It's not much of an easement.

895232549_20201212_135500-Copy.jpg.2b607755849f3a8461078b73f002093e.jpg

1381004782_20201212_135501-Copy.jpg.2fdfe7193b27706afd828835f1af7089.jpg

1670204734_20201212_135509-Copy.jpg.fac684aae2b9700baee1e8f4a15409fd.jpg

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday I heard that in three weeks time Electrification of the Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge section will start in earnest.

Also gleaned, from the same source, was the fact that the Stalybridge to Guide Bridge line was "not being done".

I wonder if Miles Platting and Stalybridge junctions will have any OHLE provision for later electrification schemes?

Kev.

8 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Yesterday I heard that in three weeks time Electrification of the Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge section will start in earnest.

Also gleaned, from the same source, was the fact that the Stalybridge to Guide Bridge line was "not being done".

I wonder if Miles Platting and Stalybridge junctions will have any OHLE provision for later electrification schemes?

Kev.

I guess not wiring the Guide Bridge route goes along with not having to bother with Standedge Tunnel later because the trains will be mostly bi-mode or will use the Ordsall Curve to access Piccadilly and the Airport.  

7 minutes ago, SHMD said:

wonder if Miles Platting and Stalybridge junctions will have any OHLE provision for later electrification schemes

I don't know, but if there's a credible prospect of the line being electrified subsequently then some provision would normally be made. Some junctions have over-run OLE that effectively forms the junction, though I've never quite understood why some do and others don't. I'm sure there's a good reason for it.