Buildings for outdoor 00 model railways.

charles2

Hi :) !

Just thought I'd throw the question out into the open, as it were, that what materials make for durable buildings to be left out in the beautiful British weather? I'm currently musing on how to build Penzance station building in my garden and would be appreciative if anyone can shine a little light on these kinds of construction & their potential pitfalls! At the moment I'm seriously considering air drying clay (if it can be suitably sealed against moisture) or other kind of rock like material.

Thanks!

Charles :)

I think I'd be inclined to agree - although you'd need to seal it well so moisture couldn't get into cracks and then freeze/thaw and break it up.

Have a look what people use in the larger scales, resin material seems to last ok so could you make casts of a plasticard master and then make them up in resin?

Hi Charles,

I presume you mean with the overall roof? IF so I would think that the stuff I use would be better – that is PVC solid foam (look up in ‘Google’ Vekaplan SF to explain it – that is just one make, and no connection with them) , as another choice though you will have to fill to horizontal marks on the surface, (filler + sand, though the jojints between stones would be possible though difficult) woukld be some stuff that esatae agents use for their signs, I call it Corriflute - and the usual thickness is now is 3mm but 5mm can be bouight as well; badger a local estate agent for his supplier and see if he will sell you some - again big (same size as above) but he should cut it for you in half size sheets, which will fit in a car.

See the following link to explain it http://www.rapidonline.com/Education/Corriflute-corrugated-board-66389 this is another source that I have not tried.

Both stand up to everything – though with an overall roof you will need some cross rods (welding rods would do for those) to keep the walls still and to stop them bowing outwards .

I use the 5mm thick version, but it can be bought at thinner thicknesses - here is my latest building which is a hotel It can also be carved (for stonework) with a burr in a minidrill - bits will be everywhere but it can be done.

post-8192-0-25670000-1322565325.jpg

Finally here are some more building earlier this year under the snow!

post-8192-0-98268800-1322565477.jpg

The stuff is used for signs at exhibitions, what you want is a plastics supplier - the sheets are rather large - 8ft x 4ft, but they should cut them down for you, its not cheap, but very good! To glue it together I use Evo-stik. Trim (windows etc) is plasticard.

Yours Peter.

Hi :) !

James & Peter, thank you for your replies!

Peter, your buildings look great! If they can withstand that kind of weather - whoopee & let me at it :D :D !!! As for Penzance - yes, the overall roof is going to be made (I am a sucker for punishment!!!) and I already have in my bit & bobs stash some wills clear corrugated stuff!! The other thing that I had been looking at for the roof was clear perspex from B&Q etc.! I will however try doing something with the air drying clay covered in PVA (and the bright pink waterproofer!!!)! I'll report back (hopefully soon!) with how that kind of thing goes!!

Take care,

Charles.

Try Tough Paper for smaller details. Print it with a colour laser and it will fade very little and is waterproof and easy to work with.

It is essentially a plastic paper designed for outdoor maps. Not expensive either and can be stuck with Evo Stick. Think of it as thin Plasticard!

Archived