Freight Superpower or Overkill

Great picture - probably used for scrap from St Erth. There were all sorts of short freights around in those days - trips into Holmans Siding at Camborne had to be short as they could foul the main line. The Hayle wharves were still in occasional use in 1981, though that would have been oil. I have seen scrap and coal wagons venture down there though. The milk could be a couple of tankls from St Erth, but picked up en route. This could have been a sizable train from Tavistock Jn which had dropped off en route.

• RMweb Gold

One 1970s service was the 3B31 (3B01) Worcester to Bristol Temple Meads, which had just one GUV in the consist.

Apparently was parcels from the catalogue company Kay's. Pretty sure that must of been a loss making service

• RMweb Gold

One 1970s service was the 3B31 (3B01) Worcester to Bristol Temple Meads, which had just one GUV in the consist.

Apparently was parcels from the catalogue company Kay's. Pretty sure that must of been a loss making service

Have a picture of a similar one at Barnt Green, with a 25 and one CCT.

Could the freight passing Hayle be a 16t of house coal for Ponsandane, did the traffic last that long?

If so there may well be traffic for the return leg, so there would have been a l//d move down anyway.

cheers

Some of this short train traffic originated in artful exploitation of a need to move locos due to unbalanced traffic flows. If there was a way to supply a service fitting a particular customer's needs on a loco move that would otherwise be light engine, that was an all around win. The economics promptly dived down the toilet when the service continued as a 'fossil', the need for the lcoo placing move having long ago disappeared...

Remember that the loco would be working to a diagram, and the load might vary on a day-to-day basis, or might just need to go in the same direction as the load. So the alternaive would be to provide a smaller loco to move the wagon, and run the engine LE to its next point in its diagram. In the 1970s, before the WCML was electrified north of Weaver Jct, there was a two coach train Liverpool Lime St to Glasgow with TWO Class 50s at the front. On arrival at Preston, the rest of the train coupled on the back, but those two big locos with only two coaches always raised a smile.

Unless you know the whole picture, a sighting of what appears to be overkill CAN be very misleading.

• RMweb Gold

I recollect an article in a magazine about Speedlink trying to meet customers' exceptional needs- the example they used was a single bogie tank of clay slurry from Cornwall to Warrington. As the loco was a 45 or 46, it was marginally longer than its train.

Also pictured in JVs China Clay book IIRC! I'd forgotten that one, the 50 on hoods stuck in my mind though....

Here's one I found on the North Devon line - although with a class 31 pulling I think "superpower" may be the wrong description :P

Nice shot of the 50 with one 16t min, nice to see something a bit different.

Here's a short train I caught in Feb 1982,

47285 working the Severn Tunnel Junction to Moreton-on-Lugg trip,

returning into Hereford with a single van.

I later pictured 47285 leaving for Severn Tunnel having attached a TTA and 4 BDAs and BV.

post-7081-0-80611200-1322673855.jpg

47285 arriving at Hereford on the trip from Moreton-on-Lugg 12/2/82.

cheers

• 3 months later...
Remember that the loco would be working to a diagram, and the load might vary on a day-to-day basis, or might just need to go in the same direction as the load. So the alternaive would be to provide a smaller loco to move the wagon, and run the engine LE to its next point in its diagram. In the 1970s, before the WCML was electrified north of Weaver Jct, there was a two coach train Liverpool Lime St to Glasgow with TWO Class 50s at the front. On arrival at Preston, the rest of the train coupled on the back, but those two big locos with only two coaches always raised a smile. Unless you know the whole picture, a sighting of what appears to be overkill CAN be very misleading.

I can remember being at Twyford station one day watching a single 50 struggle by with a dead hst closely followed by 2 50's going like the clappers with 3 parcels vans behind.

I also remember being on Basingstoke station one evening and seeing 2x 67 top and tailing 3 Turbot wagons.

Pete

And folk wonder why wagon load frieght struggled to make any money!

As well as the very valid points made, that these pics are quite literally 'snapshots' of only part of a loco diagram, there's also a possibility that the locos used are 'high on hours', have a traction motor isolated or are otherwise not in peak condition, and are deliberately being used on light duties and 'close to home'.

Archived