New Bachmann B1

Ian Hargrave

The dome on the Hornby model is superb. The chimney looks suspect. Other way round for Bachmann!

I think it's worth replacing chimney and done with Dave Bradwell's castings - these are truly wonderful! And not too expensive when bought seperately either.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps we should just have done with it and merge the two topics - the crossover is getting confusing, for my addled brain at least!!!

Re. merging the two B1 threads...yes, do it. If only to save me having to keep looking at both separately (a selfish reason, I know).

Jeff

I'll happily do what others seem to be doing, which is have one of each.

With the Hornby loco numbered as one of the 150 NBL-built examples, and the Barwell as a Main Works-constructed specimen, or vice-versa.

Someone, somewhere will attest that there was some characteristic or other which distinguished the two, and weathered to disguise the key glossy bits, that will suit me just fine. They can have different running qualities too, as I'm confident the real thing would have had.

Also posted on the Hornby B1 thread.

• RMweb Premium

It may seem an obvious question - forgive me if I've missed something - but since Hattons have been advertising the Bachy B1 in stock since the end of last week - has anybody managed to get hold of one yet?

If so, any impressions?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

has anybody managed to get hold of one yet?

From post 56 above I would suggest the answer is 'yes'!.

I also bought one from Monk Bar Model shop in York on Monday. Haven't had chance to run it yet but it ran sweetly on test in the shop. Very nicely finished - even has 'B1' and a shed name on the bufferbeam (alas too small for me to read!). The front numberplate has a white painted border as well. Certainly looks like a B1 to me and I think Bachmanns paint finishes are more convincing than Hornby's from the box - even better when weathered.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen one running on Little Bytham today, and it is very impressive. It couldn't be more different from the old chassis, and even TW says it's hard to differentiate it's running qualities from hand built stuff. I still think it looks like a B1 too, even though the body is now pretty ancient. My only reservation and disappointment is that nothing has been done to improve the connection between loco and tender, and that really does let down the overall appearance. The new A4 chassis is just as impressive BTW- shame about what appears above it.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen one running on Little Bytham today, and it is very impressive. It couldn't be more different from the old chassis, and even TW says it's hard to differentiate it's running qualities from hand built stuff. I still think it looks like a B1 too, even though the body is now pretty ancient. My only reservation and disappointment is that nothing has been done to improve the connection between loco and tender, and that really does let down the overall appearance. The new A4 chassis is just as impressive BTW- shame about what appears above it.

Exactly my point when I started this topic.Which is why I will wait for the Hornby offering.

Exactly my point when I started this topic.Which is why I will wait for the Hornby offering.

I can't see any reference in your OP about the loco-tender coupling.

The simple hook that Bachmann use can easily be replaced with a fixed bar of a length suitable for the curves that it is going to be used on. Try shortening the gap with Hornby and you are into serious carving, drilling and probably soldering. The body needs some work on either brand to suit any specific machine and date so to me you might as well start with the cheapest version.

Bernard

In the spirit of this thread so far, :no: and with my record of chassis building.............

I've seen one running on Little Bytham today, and it is very impressive. It couldn't be more different from the old chassis, and even TW says it's hard to differentiate it's running qualities from hand built stuff.

That bad ehhh?!?!?

Cheers, :angel: Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see any reference in your OP about the loco-tender coupling.

The simple hook that Bachmann use can easily be replaced with a fixed bar of a length suitable for the curves that it is going to be used on. Try shortening the gap with Hornby and you are into serious carving, drilling and probably soldering. The body needs some work on either brand to suit any specific machine and date so to me you might as well start with the cheapest version.

Bernard

Sorry Bernard,You're quite right--it is,in fact, a later posting in this topic.A 'senior moment'. With ref: to the Hornby B1,we don't really know quite yet what the completed design is. I have seen a pre-production example and the loco-tender ensemble looked acceptable to my eyes. Yes---it IS more cash but then,the Bachmann isn't cheap in any case. Yes,it's good to see a new power train,I don't dispute that,but we still have a 21st century body in 20th century clothes.To put it bluntly,I don't think it merits surgery. So,I'm going to wait. In any case,this example looks similar to the SMC edition I have.Eyes&fingers not up to tinkering,I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Bernard,You're quite right--it is,in fact, a later posting in this topic.A 'senior moment'. With ref: to the Hornby B1,we don't really know quite yet what the completed design is. I have seen a pre-production example and the loco-tender ensemble looked acceptable to my eyes. Yes---it IS more cash but then,the Bachmann isn't cheap in any case. Yes,it's good to see a new power train,I don't dispute that,but we still have a 21st century body in 20th century clothes.To put it bluntly,I don't think it merits surgery. So,I'm going to wait. In any case,this example looks similar to the SMC edition I have.Eyes&fingers not up to tinkering,I'm afraid.

Me,again--the gods must have seen the post---Hornby B1 arrives today--see Modelfair website. Now we can judge for ourselves--regards,Ian.

but we still have a 21st century body in 20th century clothes.

Why such an issue with the age of the tooling for the body?

Look at my thread on using the Lima 31, it is much, much older than the newer Hornby model but it is much better, not only with finer moulding but it is a better and more accurate shape. Age is irrelevent.

To put it bluntly,I don't think it merits surgery.

Then you need to look closely at the model. Trust me, if Dave Bradwell thinks the body worthy of his time then it has huge potential.

With his castings (I'd add new handrails too) the Bachmann body can be made into a very good model indeed - the castings will be superior to RTR fittings and will allow you to model specific locos much more easily. The Hornby model will also need work to model different locos too.

The simple hook that Bachmann use can easily be replaced with a fixed bar of a length suitable for the curves that it is going to be used on. Try shortening the gap with Hornby and you are into serious carving, drilling and probably soldering.

Bernard

Not necessarily anymore Bernard. I've a close coupled Black Five from a recent release which only required three bends in thin metal to adjust, but the older models would need the effort you describe.

This looks like the new-style drawbar (hence easily closed-up) - but - until I've seen one either flesh or clear enough photie I don't think it's wise for me to claim 100% accuracy.

Edit, yep, looks much like a plain flat bar a la post-DCC sound introduction Stanier 5s.

Archived