Tinsley Yard and Sheffield International Railfreight Termial

Arpleymodeller

Hello

Ive been doing some research into the old Tinsley Yard. I know the TMD closed in 1998 and the remains of the yard were used well into the 2000s. Since the construction of Sheffield International Railfreight Termial (SIRFT) a few years ago the 5 or so sidings EWS used were relaid.

Does anyone know what has become of the site since then? Is SIRFT open for business? Does DB Schenker still use the relaid sidings?

How does the site connect to the rest of the national network?

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Yes Tinsley Yard is still in use nowt as far as I know runs into the SIRFT as of yet but the 5 sdg's that are left as used by DBS and recives a daily train from Immingham that brings in slabs and rolls them into coils this used to be a two way traffic flow but back in 2006 this went to a one way flow the slab runs to the SMCC & SPACE the site connects with the rest of the network at Tinsley West Jn on the Rotherham to Woodburn Jn line.

• 9 years later...

Resurrecting a rather old thread in the absence of anything else...

Newell & Wright Transport have built (well nearly finished) a new container terminal at the Treeton end of the old Tinsley complex. I went over there today for the first container train in, appropriately in N&W's house colours. Plenty of official and unofficial photographers and dignitaries in very clean high-vis gear on the ground.

Creeping in past the unlet warehouse from the Tinsley/Meadowhall direction:

940316385_Tinsley05May2021.jpg.7a85b8786d816c8cdbe17b3e16b411e2.jpg

Arrival looking towards Treeton

1657825160_Tinsley05May2021a.jpg.507b51bcd77695324b84a475bbc7f581.jpg

After running round.

I managed by chance to get another Maersk container on a truck going over the line on the Sheffield Parkway road, top right!

1648951379_Tinsley05May2021c.jpg.d468bf57ebdf7c408a384519c41df9d2.jpg

Posing an NWT loco with an NWT truck:

990097700_Tinsley05May2021b.jpg.a8dc3b420ccd798a3614b9b963c96d90.jpg

Loco was 66747 on a 4E53 0538 Felixstowe-Tinsley:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00157/2021-05-05/detailed#allox_id=0

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

I was going to ask, where is Wood Lane bridge, then I realised you're on it haha.

So finally a use for the land where the arrivals sidings were - I take it they are extending the concrete apron somewhat or do they intend to pull the train forward a couple of wagons at a time to load/unload

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I was going to ask, where is Wood Lane bridge, then I realised you're on it haha.

So finally a use for the land where the arrivals sidings were - I take it they are extending the concrete apron somewhat or do they intend to pull the train forward a couple of wagons at a time to load/unload

Extending it would make sense. It looks like the land further on has been levelled, there's a pile of aggregate seemingly waiting to be used, and there's still excavators and I think a concrete pump on site. The N&W chap I spoke to said it was a long way from finished.

At the moment, I think you'd need to draw forward once or twice for the length of concrete pad that currently exists, but it's a bit hard to tell from that distance. The reach stackers were working pretty quickly, one reloading the front of the train from the stack of containers already there, while the other was still unloading from futher back on the train.

The service is down to run again tomorrow and Friday.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, russ p said:

Shame the haven't  reopened it through to Treeton 

No real need just yet for one train a day, and also miles more expensive to reconnect to the Old Road, new signalling etc. But apparently the plan is 4 container trains a day (including overnight) into Tinsley by the end of the year.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

No real need just yet for one train a day, and also miles more expensive to reconnect to the Old Road, new signalling etc. But apparently the plan is 4 container trains a day (including overnight) into Tinsley by the end of the year.

I seem to remember the reception sidings were actually climbing towards the hump , not the best place for loading.  Still good to see the land having a rail use again 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, LBRJ said:

So this is a good reason to go to Meadowhall for any lunchtime shopping trips I may "need" to take?? ;) 

Hmm, perhaps it’s something to do after dropping someone else off at Meadowhall for shopping. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

How the mighty have fallen!

Do they still use the Dowtys?!!

Mike.

We may mock and lament how long Tinsley yard operated, but it outlasted the airport built on the land just west of the TMD - where the horses used to be that you'd dodge getting to the back of the shed.  It opened in 1997 and closed in 2008, even Warships and Westerns were longer lived(Just)

• Like 5

To add to the current Tinsley picture, there's also regular steel traffic on certain days of the week, plus aggregates (mostly from from Leicestershire) on most days. But those don't use the new container terminal pictured above.

Best picture of traffic levels is to search Shepcote Lane Jn on Realtime Trains, as that covers all traffic into Tinsley, whether from the Sheffield or Rotherham directions (the former connections to the Old Road at Treeton are long gone). For example:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/SHPCTLJ/2021-05-05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

There are also tantalising paths in the timetable from terminals in E London (Ripple Lane, Barking). These haven't been used yet, but the talk is that they're connected with HS2 spoil disposal. Watch this (formerly derelict) space. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

There’s even a container train scheduled in to the new terminal tomorrow, Sat 8/5, around 1100 if anyone fancies getting soaked on a bridge:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00158/2021-05-08/detailed

Reading what happens at Peterborough and Doncaster it would seem to be a passenger train!

Mike.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Reading what happens at Peterborough and Doncaster it would seem to be a passenger train!

Mike.

"gains and loses coaches" - realtimetrains has a glitch of some kind!

• 1 month later...

Quick Tinsley update from this morning.

66590 ready for departure on the 1053 Tinsley Intermodal Terminal to Doncaster  (normally to Felixstowe, but I think Sats only just to Doncaster):

2130912453_66590TInsley12jun21.jpg.d3ec5c84ef01c4c95a1f9505b76902fd.jpg

Closer look at progress on the 2nd half of the loading pad:

1271272207_TInsleyconstructiona12jun21.jpg.f57d41e34c6572d18a7eff2baba71caa.jpg

Some work going on the other side of Wood Lane road bridge. I understood this area was to be for lorry parking, but the bright newly-laid part is very close to track level and clearly different to the rest. Maybe some sidings on the bright bit and lorry parking on the grey? Watch this space:

29776107_TInsleyconstructionb12jun21.jpg.ced1ef63dd692e6f072cd693c1917c70.jpg

And a quick pedal round via the Europa Link road and the canal sees the outbound train crossing Tinsley Locks between Shepcote Lane Junction and Tinsley South Junction. The sunlight was difficult, but never mind:

1156393217_TInsleyLocks12jun21.jpg.337190c0d93c4d0c7aedf3dfce517add.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
mistyped sunlight
  • Like 10