The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

1st parkrun volunteering for over a year today, at Little Stoke junior parkrun. Took the opportunity to have a look at the ongoing works at the bridge.

51975857231_e73952f463_k.jpgPatchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

Patchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

51975932298_dbb9daa459_k.jpgPatchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

General view from the Little Stoke side of the new bridge. Does anyone know what the little thing on the tripod is for?

Patchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

The road surface has been dug out completely....

51975875576_9b11065387_o.jpgPatchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

....a new culvert has been built for Stoke Brook to run under the road.

51975940138_a5204db94d_o.jpgPatchway Bridge July 2021 by Mr Ratty, on Flickr

Looking back through the bridge from the other side, the road surface looks too have been built up ready for it's final surface coats. The access ramp has still to be formed on the other side, as seen below.

51976038183_3c3d197669_k.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

1st parkrun volunteering for over a year today, at Little Stoke junior parkrun. Took the opportunity to have a look at the ongoing works at the bridge.

1907304819_IMG_20210718_094940194_HDR2.jpg.3449dbee10350cfbd14e531add8d03cd.jpg

General view from the Little Stoke side of the new bridge. Does anyone know what the little thing on the troops is for?

The road surface has been dug out completely and......

1697346864_IMG_20210718_095020714_HDR2.jpg.7c27b64a90678c6acccb5b5eea75ee78.jpg

1920943392_IMG_20210718_095145659_HDR2.jpg.99d0e0fe770ae9d6a0d03d6e17b10943.jpg

Looking back through the bridge from the other side, the road surface looks too have been built up ready for it's final surface coats. The access ramp has still to be formed on the other side, as seen below.

1568380277_IMG_20210718_095112505_HDR2.jpg.f6f19b3b688d0e6ee3a40a2874cea62a.jpg

That first shot does not look like a double decker could get under it.

Keith

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

That first shot does not look like a double decker could get under it.

Keith

No, I was thinking that as I walked under it. It'll be close, but then I guess you only need 10-15cm clearance. It's not easy to judge when there is no traffic around to compare it against.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, steam69 said:

Does anyone know what the little thing on the tripod is for? Looks like a Laser for checking the levels, it rotates continuously and the special staff bleeps when the correct level is achieved.

Richard

That's correct. it sends out a laser which is picked up by the surveyor's staff as they take levels and mark setting out points. Removes the need for a chainman and traditional level or theodolite.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, ullypug said:

That's correct. it sends out a laser which is picked up by the surveyor's staff as they take levels and mark setting out points. Removes the need for a chainman and traditional level or theodolite.

Actually it's more of a security thing. This link will explain better how it works...

https://securitynewsdesk.com/bam-nuttall-enhances-on-site-security-with-pid-systems-armadillo/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see the Severn Beach line is going to receive its long-awaited half-hourly service with the December timetable changes. You can get the PDF of the pocket timetable here https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/train-times

Services will alternate between Bristol to Avonmouth and Weston-super-Mare to Severn Beach.

I am very much looking forward to the changes as I hope it will make the line more usable for me and my family. It seems that every time we return to Temple Meads  from a rail trip further afield, we find that the connection to our home station of Redland has departed just a few minutes ago and the next one will not be for half an hour or so - and we can walk it in that time.

Also, Real Time Trains is showing Portway Park & Ride as an unadvertised stop, although there is no sign of an anouncement of its opening.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For anyone looking for photos of old Bristol, try Know Your Place. It allows you to choose different generations of map of the city, with a split screen so that you can compare subsequent changes. There are also a considerable number of photos, shown by the green diamonds, which are brought up by clicking the community layer. I have not even begun to explore any of the other collections.

I suggest that you make a cup of tea (or something stronger) before you start, as you may be there for quite a time. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2021 at 18:06, JZ said:

Back in today after a couple off and the first section of the 'umbrella' is finished and 3, 4, 5 & 6 are open again.

Sorry this is a bit late, but did they allow the Up Middle Siding to remain operational whilst the roof works are taking place? Back when this was first discussed, in around 2013 - 14 or so, they wanted to 'temporarily' close it, to allow some kind of supporting structure to be placed on it, something which I vehemently opposed at the time and succeeded with (or so I thought before I retired!).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sorry this is a bit late, but did they allow the Up Middle Siding to remain operational whilst the roof works are taking place? Back when this was first discussed, in around 2013 - 14 or so, they wanted to 'temporarily' close it, to allow some kind of supporting structure to be placed on it, something which I vehemently opposed at the time and succeeded with (or so I thought before I retired!).

I remember that scaffolding towers were erected on top of the Up Middle Siding last time the station roof was refurbished, which seems like years ago.

I have not been to or through Bristol by train since January 2020, so it will be interesting to see the changes whenever I next travel that way.

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, burgundy said:

For anyone looking for photos of old Bristol, try Know Your Place. It allows you to choose different generations of map of the city, with a split screen so that you can compare subsequent changes. There are also a considerable number of photos, shown by the green diamonds, which are brought up by clicking the community layer. I have not even begun to explore any of the other collections.

I suggest that you make a cup of tea (or something stronger) before you start, as you may be there for quite a time. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Well it did make me late for work this morning! Not sure if I should tell my friends their new house is literally on top of the old colliery....

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2021 at 11:02, rodent279 said:

General view from the Little Stoke side of the new bridge. Does anyone know what the little thing on the tripod is for?

The road surface has been dug out completely and......

1697346864_IMG_20210718_095020714_HDR2.jpg.7c27b64a90678c6acccb5b5eea75ee78.jpg

1920943392_IMG_20210718_095145659_HDR2.jpg.99d0e0fe770ae9d6a0d03d6e17b10943.jpg

1568380277_IMG_20210718_095112505_HDR2.jpg.f6f19b3b688d0e6ee3a40a2874cea62a.jpg

Latest state of play at Patchway Hatchet Lane bridge. Currently traffic is one way only, surfacing of the roadbed appears well underway.

With renewed lockdown, I am now working from home again for the next month or two at least, so it may well be complete by the time I next cycle this way.

Gypsy Patch Lane bridge

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't see these on here (hopefully I checked correctly!) but here are some youtube videos taken in 1969 around Bristol during the change to MAS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6ca-gw1Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfWK-kl73Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPuGERb4I30

I am sure there will be more of interest to many on BobBishupDiagonal channel  https://www.youtube.com/user/BobBishopDiagonal/videos

Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30851 said:

I am sure there will be more of interest to many on BobBishupDiagonal channel  https://www.youtube.com/user/BobBishopDiagonal/videos

Rob

Amongst those posted by Bob Bishop and only indirectly related to Bristol is this one of an outing by the Bristol Railway Circle to West Wales in 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqX3MCOFIpM 

Seen at Cynheidre at 7:49, the gangly chap in the red jumper on the far left is me, while the fellow on the right in the black jacket is Gerry Nichols, currently president for the Bristol Railway Circle and librarian of the SLS.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Seen at Cynheidre at 7:49, the gangly chap in the red jumper on the far left is me, while the fellow on the right in the black jacket is Gerry Nichols, currently president for the Bristol Railway Circle and librarian of the SLS.

The guy to the left of Gerry looks rather like Bill Gates (yes really) - does the name ring a bell? In the late 60s & early 70s we were both active members of the Bristol Group of the Festiniog (until I made a life-changing decision :()

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2022 at 12:02, martinT said:

The guy to the left of Gerry looks rather like Bill Gates (yes really) - does the name ring a bell? In the late 60s & early 70s we were both active members of the Bristol Group of the Festiniog (until I made a life-changing decision :()

It is indeed "Bill" Gates. His real name was Michael. Apparently his nickname was a reference to a BBC radio personality of the day. I believe he was head of research at Imperial Tobacco. He died in 2007.

Here is Bill's own picture of that happy day taken with a timer - courtesy of Gerry Nichols who became custodian of Bill's slides . The late John Simons who made the movie is in the middle with the black hair and glasses.

The Bristol Railway Circle visits the BPGV July 12 1974

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed on Redland station today that a ticket machine is being installed. This is a very welcome development as on a busy train the guard doesn't have the time to serve all the passengers, leading to a long queue for tickets at Temple Meads.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I noticed on Redland station today that a ticket machine is being installed. This is a very welcome development as on a busy train the guard doesn't have the time to serve all the passengers, leading to a long queue for tickets at Temple Meads.

Even when a train isn't particularly busy, if the guard is on their own, it' almost impossible to attend to the whole train on the Bristol side of Clifton, what with the stops being only 2-3 minutes apart and only having door controls at each end of the train. Let us hope it gets used, as the one at Clifton hardly saw any use before being vandalised and removed.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Removed? When was this? I collected tickets from it only a couple of months ago.

Is it still there? Must have a look next I get five minutes at Clifton. Maybe I need a route refresh:lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/01/2022 at 22:05, Andy Kirkham said:

Removed? When was this? I collected tickets from it only a couple of months ago.

On 13/01/2022 at 20:12, JZ said:

Is it still there? Must have a look next I get five minutes at Clifton. Maybe I need a route refresh:lol:

Yep. Still there, as of this morning.

20220116_095852.jpg.dd4fab183f64792f872f7326c3a1c30e.jpg

Though it was actually standing upright. For some reason photo's from my work phone are always rotated. Though, I suppose it reflects that Clifton is the summit of the line and it's downhill from here to Temple Meads.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1