The changing face of Bristol

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's changed a bit since my spotting days!

attachicon.gifPatchway 05.jpg

Amazing picture, I grew up in Patchway and spent many a happy hour around the station and the Blue Bridge (the bridge to the rear of the picture) during the 1970's. I can recall the old siding that is to the right of your picture (hidden by the passing train) but was unaware of the trackwork to the left. It looks like there was a third platform, can anyone advise what the trackwork and its purpose comprised ?.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Patchway certainly has changed - the earth seems to have tilted on its axis ;)

Lets have them the right way up. 

attachicon.gifpost-24755-0-10605000-1520336689_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-24755-0-28794000-1520336671_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-24755-0-29777600-1520336720_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-24755-0-58360000-1520336705_thumb.jpg

That's better. 

Unusual looking catenary supports.

• RMweb Gold

I spent many a chilly hour at Patchway in the mid 1970s waiting for the "65 special", Fawley-Penarth curve which twice a week brought a class 33 (65-er) through North Bristol. We always aimed to get there by 2pm but invariably it was late. Funny how all those details are mentally logged after the passage of four decades.

The split level track and single bore twin Patchway tunnels were also another vantage point just a bit down from the station. I must get out and get some photographs before these sights are lost to those lineside locations with the arrival of the OHLE.

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the Orange Army are busy changing the face of Bristol, local bus operator First West of England are changing the face of rail replacement buses...

post-5204-0-47357900-1520678810_thumb.jpg

I hope the passengers enjoy their Great Day Out....

(photo credit Micheal Meilton)

• Like 1

Whilst the Orange Army are busy changing the face of Bristol, local bus operator First West of England are changing the face of rail replacement buses...

attachicon.gifRail Replacement.jpg

I hope the passengers enjoy their Great Day Out....

(photo credit Micheal Meilton)

The Great Day Out is a GWR staff event.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This weekend Network Rail are improving the signalling (their words, other opinions are available) in and around Bristol Temple Meads. Back in the spring of 1970 British Rail also installed a new signalling system at Bristol.

So here is the Changing Face of Bristol Publicity:

post-5204-0-49239000-1522353347_thumb.jpg     post-5204-0-00083900-1522353357_thumb.jpg

In 1970 it was GWR colour lights that were being replaced. I wonder if anyone in 1970 would have predicated that when the signals were next replaced that the trains would again be carrying the letters GWR?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Are these the final changes required to close & demolish Bristol Power Box (and re-open access to the old train shed)? Is that even still the plan, anyway?

I was told by a NR signalling man last week that the Power Box will remain in use for the foreseeable future because it will still be needed for a bit of line out towards Taunton. And the plan to re-open the Old Station has been shelved.

Are these the final changes required to close & demolish Bristol Power Box (and re-open access to the old train shed)? Is that even still the plan, anyway?

Bristol Panel will remain in service for a very long time yet, only Temple Meads area will move to TVSC next week.

The Western end out towards Bath and Bathampton Junction will stay until March 19 I think it is, the last section out to Weston and Bridgwater will remain at Bristol Panel until someone can find a few quid to either move it into TVSC or a mini Panel at Exeter.

I think the Midland trainshed plan has been quietly dropped.

• RMweb Gold

Bristol Panel will remain in service for a very long time yet, only Temple Meads area will move to TVSC next week.

The Western end out towards Bath and Bathampton Junction will stay until March 19 I think it is, the last section out to Weston and Bridgwater will remain at Bristol Panel until someone can find a few quid to either move it into TVSC or a mini Panel at Exeter.

I think the Midland trainshed plan has been quietly dropped.

Another answer to the Western end might be to enhance the emergency panel at Weston (assuming it is still there?)

• RMweb Gold

This weekend Network Rail are improving the signalling (their words, other opinions are available) in and around Bristol Temple Meads. Back in the spring of 1970 British Rail also installed a new signalling system at Bristol.

So here is the Changing Face of Bristol Publicity:

attachicon.gifBristol1970.jpg     attachicon.gifBristol2018.jpg

In 1970 it was GWR colour lights that were being replaced. I wonder if anyone in 1970 would have predicated that when the signals were next replaced that the trains would again be carrying the letters GWR?

I can well remember the 1970 work as I travelled into Temple Meads (by train) to take some photos whilst it was underway.  I think BR WR was somewhat more like the wartime Windmill Theatre than NR as in it never closed, for longer than very brief periods, when major station resignalling and layout renewal works were taking place as those planning such things took now seemingly novel approach of recognising that people needed/wanted to travel and phased the work to allow something to keep running.  

The Belgians are far, far, better than NR at this sort of thing and they plan stuff in great detail in order to keep the railway working while massive schemes are being constructed and introduced - oh, and all the train service changes for such work over there are published well before the minimum 6 MONTH publication window proscribed by UIC rules. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

One of the significant differences as I understand is the removal of the "St Andrews crosses" in the middle of the platforms in Temple Meads. From what I understand and feel free to correct me - the speed of approaching trains into the platforms will be slower. Something like 10mph in, but 25mph out.  Not sure whether this will impact the operations.     

The Belgians are far, far, better than NR at this sort of thing and they plan stuff in great detail in order to keep the railway working while massive schemes are being constructed and introduced - oh, and all the train service changes for such work over there are published well before the minimum 6 MONTH publication window proscribed by UIC rules. 

Of course we know it would be possible to keep the station open during the work: but of course we also know it would cost "too much" money...

Of course we know it would be possible to keep the station open during the work: but of course we also know it would cost "too much" money...

It's not possible to keep the station in a situation like this, with new signalling commissions you can only test signalling under wheels free   ie no trains. 

It's not like under BR where we would be hand signalling trains those days have gone, the situation here is transferring signalling from an NX Panel to a Workstation at TVSC Didcot which has different Signalling controls to an NX Panel.  ie Axle Counters replacing track circuits, interlocking is controlled by software these days and requires a lot more testing.    

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they kept the railway running in 1970, "The principle Inter-City services are, in the main, unaltered" although local services and those to Cardiff were altered. 

post-5204-0-06275300-1522493959_thumb.jpg

So, ten weeks of minor alterations or a long weekend total shutdown? Don't ask me, I'm not travelling!

• Informative/Useful 1