The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

DB968001/D8233 lurking in the background in the 4th picture, I see!

I noticed this after I had scanned the image. Pity I didn’t realise this back in 1985 as I could have zoomed in on it. Although all I had zoom wise at the time was a 135mm lens so it might not have been that much bigger.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Travelling into Temple Meads from Redland yesterday I was rather surprised to see a pair of Tyne & Wear Metro cars standing at Barton Hill depot. They were sheeted over but enough was visible (including the distinctive M logo on the end) to make identification certain.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

Travelling into Temple Meads from Redland yesterday I was rather surprised to see a pair of Tyne & Wear Metro cars standing at Barton Hill depot. They were sheeted over but enough was visible (including the distinctive M logo on the end) to make identification certain.

They've been there for a few weeks, no idea why though.

Edit. It's been there since July, waiting for repairs following a derailment. Why it should be sent to an Arriva facility in Bristol is still a mystery.

Edited by JZ

Has the four track come in to use yet. I thought it was meant to happen with the 8th December timetable change.

Keith

It's been running for weeks. And what 8 December tiimetable change was that?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had the opportunity to travel on a few local trains between Bristol TM and Bristol Parkway today and took a few photos at various locations, showing the new quadrupling works in operation, plus some on-going footbridge construction at Stapleton Road:

IMG_9428.jpg

20190206_084819.jpg

20190206_092100.jpg

20190206_092215.jpg

IMG_9456.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tim V said:

That footbridge at Stapleton road is nearly as long as the platform!

Sadly you are right, it's absolutely massive. I had no idea it was being put in there.

At least it's good to see serious money being spent on railway infrastructure west of Swindon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sadly you are right, it's absolutely massive. I had no idea it was being put in there.

I've not been up the bank since I retired - what a monstrosity that is 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apologies for the fact that they aren't in order, but I don't know how to caption photos on this new system.

Here are some more, anyway, these are of Filton Abbey Wood:

20190206_101003.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

20190206_100919.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

These photos are very meaningful for me. I was the Senior Programme Manager in Railtrack Major Projects for the third platform at Filton AW in 2003/04, funded mostly by the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA), although the works were delivered by our colleagues at Swindon. The embankment shown in your fourth photo was our nemesis. The local civil engineer declared this to be unstable, having been built in a time when minimum embankment gradients were more flexible, and the embankment was declared to be in significant danger of partial collapse if we built closer. We therefore had to slew existing tracks away in order to fit the third track at a minimum distance from the foot of the embankment, and we had to foreshorten the extent of the third track as a consequence. The new gabion base walls and the apparent re-profiling and new drainage routes of the embankment are exactly what we wanted to do, to allow passive provision for what we knew would be needed eventually. If only we had the money then, but SRA funds did not extend to that, at the time.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

These photos are very meaningful for me. I was the Senior Programme Manager in Railtrack Major Projects for the third platform at Filton AW in 2003/04, funded mostly by the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA), although the works were delivered by our colleagues at Swindon. The embankment shown in your fourth photo was our nemesis. The local civil engineer declared this to be unstable, having been built in a time when minimum embankment gradients were more flexible, and the embankment was declared to be in significant danger of partial collapse if we built closer. We therefore had to slew existing tracks away in order to fit the third track at a minimum distance from the foot of the embankment, and we had to foreshorten the extent of the third track as a consequence. The new gabion base walls and the apparent re-profiling and new drainage routes of the embankment are exactly what we wanted to do, to allow passive provision for what we knew would be needed eventually. If only we had the money then, but SRA funds did not extend to that, at the time.

How very interesting, Mike.

I was the operational lead at the time, working for the Area General Manager at Bristol.

Do you remember the 'Gold Control' we set up in Bristol Panel for the duration of the major blockade?

2004 was quite a busy year for engineering works, as I recall!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

When I first saw it in reality, the bottom of the ramp looked so close to the platform end that I wondered how easy it would actually be to turn around a large pushchair or wheelchair in the space available

• Like 1

I can't get my head around that footbridge, I presume there will be a corresponding ramp on the up side but there hardly seems to be room, plus it is towering over the houses and looking straight into their windows, I'm surprised it was given planning permission.

Plus given where it is I can't see some of the locals bothering to walk all the way up there and then back down the other side when they can just cut across instead! 

Edit to add - thinking about it I guess there won't need to be a ramp on the up relief side just on the main line  side and pushchairs etc can leave via Stapleton road and under the bridge as previously

Edited by 101

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

A few taken at Bristol Parkway, showing the new platform 1 and a Class 800:

20190206_110254.jpg

20190206_111034.jpg

20190206_110404.jpg

IMG_9529.jpg

Electric trains at Parkway! Finally, God's Wonderful Railway joins the 20th century!:rolleyes:

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1