The changing face of Bristol

On 02/12/2011 at 18:11, Downendian said:

I work in Plymouth and have a house in Bristol. The traffic in Bristol is horrendous and a (relative) joy in Plymouth.

Great shots of that area, and agree with Fray's photos they are fantastic, and he's a fellow Dowendian too.

Neil

I’ve just finished a job in Plymouth, living near Charles Cross and the effects of the roadworks just W of the roundabout were horrendous. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JZ said:

It took a bit longer than that weekend. I think that date was for the road closure to remove the first span. Working on trains past the site 2, 4, 6 or 8 times a day, meant I had a good view of the demolition.

PM sent.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2011 at 18:11, Downendian said:

I work in Plymouth and have a house in Bristol. The traffic in Bristol is horrendous and a (relative) joy in Plymouth.

Great shots of that area, and agree with Fray's photos they are fantastic, and he's a fellow Dowendian too.

Neil

I’ve just finished a job in Plymouth, living near Charles Cross and the effects of the roadworks just W of the roundabout were horrendous. 

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

A preview of some proposed enhancements to Temple Meads. The mention of "New Platforms 0/1" seems to suggest that the reopening of the Old Station is back on the agenda.

This question was asked of 'someone on the know' at a recent GWS meeting, and it was said that the signalbox still has to go to gain access, but it was still unclear of when and what exactly was planned for the old station. The plan doesn't show the old station itself as being reopened to trains, just short platforms outide (like the one currently used for Severn Beach trains).

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coppercap said:

This question was asked of 'someone on the know' at a recent GWS meeting, and it was said that the signalbox still has to go to gain access, but it was still unclear of when and what exactly was planned for the old station. The plan doesn't show the old station itself as being reopened to trains, just short platforms outide (like the one currently used for Severn Beach trains).

Yes, I've found some more information on this https://fosbr.org.uk/temple-meads-masterplan-november-2019-update/

It's planned that platforms 0 and 1 will extend to just outside the Old Station trainshed, thereby maintaining the present pedestrian access from the north.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Yes, I've found some more information on this https://fosbr.org.uk/temple-meads-masterplan-november-2019-update/

It's planned that platforms 0 and 1 will extend to just outside the Old Station trainshed, thereby maintaining the present pedestrian access from the north.

The 'Midland Shed' - what half baked juvenile, so called, 'journalist' with about as much knowledge and sense of history as our cats wrote that nonsense?   He/she/it needs to taken out and lashed to the fotremast of SS Great Britain or. preferably, dangled from the Clifton suspension Bridge by a softer part of his/hers/its anatomy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 'Midland Shed' - what half baked juvenile, so called, 'journalist' with about as much knowledge and sense of history as our cats wrote that nonsense?   

Well, I think we all know it's origins, but then the GWR didn't want to have it's own trains soiled by mingling with midland ones in the new 'joint' station: "Shove 'em in the old terminus, they're going back to where they came from anyway!"

• Funny 3

I tend to the view that anything FOSBR says can be taken with a pinch of salt. They think they run the railways around Bristol and are led by a nasty and obnoxious person. Sorry if this opinion of mine upsets people, but you won't find anyone that works on the railway has anything good to say about them. Despite what they say, the Severnside Community Rail Partnership has been the group that have done the vast amount of work on improving the stations on the Beach line and between Cam & Dursley, Weston-s-m and Oldfield Park.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2020 at 17:31, Andy Kirkham said:

It's planned that platforms 0 and 1 will extend to just outside the Old Station trainshed

And there's another lost opportunity.

Extending back into the shed proper could give two decent length terminal platforms for IETs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And there's another lost opportunity.

Extending back into the shed proper could give two decent length terminal platforms for IETs.

Or using short platforms for short trains will mean that the existing long ones aren't filled up with tiny trains.

If there's no need for additional long platforms if there are a couple more short ones, such an idea makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Zomboid said:

Or using short platforms for short trains will mean that the existing long ones aren't filled up with tiny trains.

If there's no need for additional long platforms if there are a couple more short ones, such an idea makes sense.

I would agree that it's better than nothing, but the old train shed area is an ideal departure location for London trains, which are really the 'prestige' services offered by GWR. They would be close to the new retail areas and the entrance. FGW (as they were then) clearly thought a few years ago that it would be ideal for their business clientele.

A 9 or 10 car IET currently takes up most of a through platform, and is thus operationally more restrictive than (in some circumstances) two shorter services using them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I would agree that it's better than nothing, but the old train shed area is an ideal departure location for London trains, which are really the 'prestige' services offered by GWR. They would be close to the new retail areas and the entrance. FGW (as they were then) clearly thought a few years ago that it would be ideal for their business clientele.

A 9 or 10 car IET currently takes up most of a through platform, and is thus operationally more restrictive than (in some circumstances) two shorter services using them.

Cap'n, do you think it was an operational decision to keep the London trains on the far side from the entrance so as not to have to cross over the station throat?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't know what Bristol needs, but if moving the short trains into platforms which don't require the rebuilding of the old shed solves the problem then that's the right solution, rather than building long platforms which aren't needed.

Presumably if things change they could be extended into the old shed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand the Cattle Market Road entrance is to be brought back into use this/next year to coincide with the completion of the University Business & Law campus on the old Sorting office site. That'll help with the likely future redevelopment of the whole Feeder Road area and the St Phillips Marsh area too once the City Council allocates sites for development in the local plan. It's on the horizon.

I also understand there are plans afoot to buy back the old GW terminus shed from the city council (lease or freehold I'm not sure) and they're looking at future plans as the power box is coming down anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

Cap'n, do you think it was an operational decision to keep the London trains on the far side from the entrance so as not to have to cross over the station throat?

I think it was suggested that the fast London trains via Parkway would use the long platforms in the shed, as these would be the prime London trains and would also arrive on that side of the layout.  Although in fact the logical route would see them on the eastern pair down Filton Bank, which would land them in the middle-numbered platforms.  Failing that it would be logical to put the reversers from Westbury and beyond towards Cardiff into any new north-west side platforms - they would have to cross the layout on arrival but would get a clear run out towards the Tunnel at departure time.  

I assume these comments about the platforms being short aren't just an interim situation where they can be lengthened once the power box is no longer needed.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Knowing the good Captain and being fairly certain he doesn't own a trumpet and even if he did I doubt he would want to blow it here being the modest person that he is, therefore if I may, can I make mention of a new book recently published for which he is a co-author.

I would certainly recommend it for anyone who is interested in this region, for which there seems to be a large following in this thread.

IMG_1418.jpeg.a7cd829de76836c55a0e78cbbe8d1514.jpeg

Yours,

A satisfied reader.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I think part of the reason for restricting the lengths of platforms 0 & 1 is to avoid blocking pedestrian access from the north, which is apparently the most popular route in an out of the station

You're right, Andy, but sub-subterranean and aerial options are available!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Corbs said:

Yes, that's always been the situation for London trains running via Box.

2 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

I think it was suggested that the fast London trains via Parkway would use the long platforms in the shed, as these would be the prime London trains and would also arrive on that side of the layout

That was exactly the thinking at all the planning meetings I attended.

2 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

I assume these comments about the platforms being short aren't just an interim situation where they can be lengthened once the power box is no longer needed.  

I understood that they would be installed once the panel building had been removed. If the panel building has to stay in the short term, it is right in the way of doing anything even remotely useful, even with short platforms.

I am also assuming that 'Platform 0' will use the track in what is currently known as the 'High Level Siding'.

Operationally, the High Level siding is currently very useful for stabling units at various times of the day and night. Turning it into a platform would make sense if Metro West comes in and we start seeing more through local services (eg. Portishead to Severn Beach or Bath), rather than ones that turn round in the station. That was also much discussed at the time.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 07/02/2019 at 12:00, The Stationmaster said:

And during my recent trips to or via that station all the trains I have been on have all been running on electrickery to the east of Parkway (except when passing Steventon of course).

Steventon has been electric since last October (or was it September), but now at 110mph instead of the old 125mph

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Corbs said:

No, it was to give London commurts more morning exercise. Ps it's beautiful weather here in NZ, sorry its not so good at home. Is it time for another beer? IMG_20200213_123054.jpg.443c498ac6d52a816344c3a9b37995ee.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2