The changing face of Bristol

At the moment, platforms 3, 4, 5 & 6 are closed while the structure for the roof works in the train shed take place.

20210314_191652_resized.jpg.a25a5082fa2446da66e3deff74f2b402.jpg

Grab this one on my way out of work last night. Two of these spans are already up and another three under construction. I'm now on a week of rest days, so I'll get another picture or twon next Monday.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 12/03/2021 at 16:07, burgundy said:

An old favourite, Bristol Rapid Transit, reappeared yesterday with an announcement that Bristol and WECA (the West of England Combined Authority) are working to put forward proposals for public consultation in the Summer and an outline business case to the Department for Transport. 

I shall be fascinated to see the option for the line to Bristol Airport. Will it be underground with a huge escalator at the airport? Or will there be trams that can climb mountains? Or will it continue to  be a bus?

image.png.83e33e9936df9eb4fa96268a71ee5190.png

Best wishes 

Eric 

Given that there's stuff on there that was being talked about when I was first living in Bristol in 1988, I will personally eat a used oil filter, live on national TV*, if anything resembling that proposal actually comes to pass before 2050.

*Terms and conditions apply.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, PatB said:

Given that there's stuff on there that was being talked about when I was first living in Bristol in 1988, I will personally eat a used oil filter, live on national TV*, if anything resembling that proposal actually comes to pass before 2050.

*Terms and conditions apply.

It was being talked about when I went to Bristol Poly in 1973. The degree of forethought can be gauged by the Poly opening a new site at Coldharbour Lane, but only planning one bus an hour to connect with the areas where most students lived, parking for about a hundred cars, no accommodation on-site, and no pavements on the nearby roads.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I could get the crayons out and draw up a public transport system for Oxford (since I don't know Bristol or I'd do it on topic) which would have as much chance of being built as that one.

I think an Oxford city centre to Kidlington trolleybus would be a great starting point...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Back to the future?

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/could-a-tram-network-be-on-the-cards-for-bristol/

Some might wonder why trams in Bristol were once viable (a hundred years ago), but then ceased to be viable.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/features/35-old-photos-of-tram-stops-in-bristol/

Looking at the old photos of trams in Bristol, there are hardly any cars at all. In fact, more bicycles and horses & carts than cars! Will that be how a "new" system in Bristol will be both "sustainable" and viable? No cars allowed? Apart from special lanes for Bristol City Council officials. ;-)

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

This video is interesting. Note how the entire workforce could leave Filton in 15 minutes. It takes longer than that to get out of the car park these days!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Back to the future?

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/could-a-tram-network-be-on-the-cards-for-bristol/

Some might wonder why trams in Bristol were once viable (a hundred years ago), but then ceased to be viable.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/features/35-old-photos-of-tram-stops-in-bristol/

Looking at the old photos of trams in Bristol, there are hardly any cars at all. In fact, more bicycles and horses & carts than cars! Will that be how a "new" system in Bristol will be both "sustainable" and viable? No cars allowed? Apart from special lanes for Bristol City Council officials. ;-)

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Trams in Bristol were stopped after a bomb cut the main electrical feed cable during a raid in WWII. It was only a matter of time, though, before they would have been withdrawn as they had been being run down for several years previous. The power cut gave them a convenient excuse to finally get rid of them.

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Tim V said:

This video is interesting. Note how the entire workforce could leave Filton in 15 minutes. It takes longer than that to get out of the car park these days!

I remember when I first started work at Rolls in the mid-70s at clocking off time, the whole length of the south side Gypsy Patch Lane (away from the railway bridge) being full of buses to various destinations in Bristol.

The bus depot area in the video looked like the area at the other end of the factory in the Gloucester Road, looking towards Filton.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 3

Visited Portishead today for the weekly "click and collect" and passed the site of the new Portishead station. It may be my imagination, but a lot of the site seemed to have been cleared. Track was visible on both sides of the road, both where the new station will stand and on the section behind Sainsbury's which is being given up. 

I know that there is still some of the process to go through, but are things starting to happen?

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

Changing face of Bristol, here is Patchway in 1981!

Patchway 14 June 1981 HP5 OM1 212 (2).jpg

Pre-Bradley Stoke. The fields to the right are now Little Stoke playing fields, site of the much lamented Little Stoke parkrun. Much change in 40 years, most of it for the better.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, burgundy said:

Visited Portishead today for the weekly "click and collect" and passed the site of the new Portishead station. It may be my imagination, but a lot of the site seemed to have been cleared. Track was visible on both sides of the road, both where the new station will stand and on the section behind Sainsbury's which is being given up. 

I know that there is still some of the process to go through, but are things starting to happen?

Best wishes 

Eric 

I started on the railway in Jan 2008 and Portishead was then being talked about for 2012.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 07/02/2021 at 14:42, Tim V said:

3m lower - that'll flood nicely!

Its just been realised the planned pumping station to prevent the brook  flooding the road won’t cope with the peak volumes of water...another delay to completion is being reported.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

I promised some pictures of the work being done under the train shed at temple Meads and here they are. Work is expected to take 2 years to complete.

20210323_141330_resized.jpg.28c7c996ada0000518bbae5349ddf294.jpg

The structure near the camera is for off indicators, there are others for temporarily moved signals.

20210324_064539_resized.jpg.fade57f5c66289a5c3a7b005cd111e97.jpg

20210324_061639_resized.jpg.810b8bd7bedcc55e8fd5e8273515e661.jpg

20210324_125738_resized.jpg.58df61ad88e432dc2060e1912af9cf96.jpg

Forgive any reflections in the next three shots. They were taken through wired glass from the upstairs corridor on platform 5.

20210323_084717_resized.jpg.9a01e0de57f3527117f50a91c029373e.jpg

20210323_084647_resized.jpg.68e1cd05d9acead361487974e93d17b1.jpg

20210323_084651_resized.jpg.eac71ed60e94df0cd5ede603a1dafa71.jpg

And finally, an impression of what the structure will look like when finished.:D

20181019_184235.jpg.28fa4b84cd3844a8682389f6d39cdfcc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1

On 23/03/2021 at 02:07, raymw said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but just came across this, old photos of Bristol

Fascinating selection. 

How many can anyone identify? Quite a number include landmarks that are still recognisable but there are a fair few that have changed out of all recognition. 

Best wishes 

Eric

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JZ said:

I promised some pictures of the work being done under the train shed at temple Meads and here they are. Work is expected to take 2 years to complete.

20210323_141330_resized.jpg.28c7c996ada0000518bbae5349ddf294.jpg

The structure near the camera is for off indicators, there are others for temporarily moved signals.

Do these pictures show a new replacement roof for TM - or a temporary umbrella while the present roof is refurbished?

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, burgundy said:

Do these pictures show a new replacement roof for TM - or a temporary umbrella while the present roof is refurbished?

Best wishes 

Eric 

Temporary structure to protect passengers and railway operations whilst the roof refurbishment is undertaken.

Darius

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, burgundy said:

Best wishes 

Eric 

It's the 'umbrella'. Once this is finished, the platforms through the train shed (3 to 6) can be re-opened.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Back in today after a couple off and the first section of the 'umbrella' is finished and 3, 4, 5 & 6 are open again.

20210327_054552_resized.jpg.55bec4e7b1fcbfe470bd86476ba52cf8.jpg

Just getting light at 05:45. Taken from P3.

20210327_084749_resized.jpg.15c5ad351cd5470c1e9d77e3affafd11.jpg

Three hours later and 3 & 5 clear of trains.(Taken from P5)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1