Blackpool Bombardier Flexity2 Tram Model

PLD

Renowned Austrian model tram manufacturer Leopold Halling is to produce a model of the brand new Bombardier Flexity2 type Tram currently being delivered to Blackpool as part of the upgrade of the tramway.

The model I understand uses existing proven drive train components, in completely new body shell mouldings. The photos below are of the first sample and there is still some work needed around the distinctive cab ends.

I presume they will follow usual Halling practice, and both powered and unpowered versions will be produced.

A firm release date has not yet confirmed but will hopefully be around the time the prototypes enter service next Easter.

UK distribution will be via East Lancs Model Trams. It is not yet mentioned on the website but I believe pre-orders are being taken.

post-491-0-41875300-1322841342_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-22336600-1322841344_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-50718000-1322841340_thumb.jpg

© Alan Kirkman with permission

• 4 months later...

Is there any more information about this release. The website link appears to be dead. Ive recently fallen in love with modelling again and the model appeals to me. Would love to have a working tram layout on my new layout.

Last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) was that a first batch of non-motorised versions had been delivered to Bombardier for PR purposes, so I would think those for general sale and motorised ones can't be far off...

Best thing is to E-mail John Whitehouse at East Lancs Models.

• 2 weeks later...

The first batch are now with East Lancs Models, however all those are reserved/allocated. If you have one on order it (or an invoice) should be on the way to you shortly. If you haven't ordered, I believe ther should be another batch later in the year...

I was able to see and handle one yesterday and can report that it is very nicely finished to the same high standards as other recent Halling products. Only minor issue is that the reach of the pantograph fitted may be insufficient for some modellers overhead, but if intending to use the pan for electrical pick up you would be replacing it anyway.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to track one of these models down since Halling announced it on their site. I tried to buy from Halling direct, but they only accept Visa or Maestro payment and their ordering page isn't secure. I was in Holland recently and visited Kuijpers Hobbyhuis in Utrecht. I was surprised and delighted that they had a Blackpool model on display. They had only been sent one by Halling as part of a larger order a few days before I was there.

Needless to say, I snapped it up. It is a fantastic model, beautifully detailed and finished. There's even a set of destination screens that can be applied. It runs beautifully, with a very quiet motor and can trundle along from a craw to a top scale speed that likely exceeds that of the real tram. So top marks to Halling. I wonder if they can be persuaded to do some other UK trams. I also have their Manchester Metrolink model which is another great model.

If you find yourself in Utrecht, go visit Kuijpers Hobbyhuis, its a great model shop with lots of railway models on display. They also own and run the Marklin shop across the road too. i must admit I thought UK railway models were expensive until I saw some of the prices of the European HO models!

Doug.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not a tramway modeller myself, but I do have an interest in trams. This new Blackpool tram model is very nice, shame it's in HO scale, but I'd be very tempted to start thinking about adding a tramline to my layout if it was built to N gauge...

I'm not a tramway modeller myself, but I do have an interest in trams. This new Blackpool tram model is very nice, shame it's in HO scale, but I'd be very tempted to start thinking about adding a tramline to my layout if it was built to N gauge...

Have you seen the Thornton Gate thread?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57611-thornton-gate-blackpool-tramway-sidings-in-dcc-n/

Hi if this is any use to you ... I was searching Ebay and found this and a few others to my complete surprise 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-gauge-resin-Tram-kit-Blackpool-Balloon-Tram-/271142724032?pt=UK_Tramway_Light_Rail&hash=item3f215da1c0

I must stress I am not the seller, I am very surprised to find any on ebay at all, so just thought id pass this on.

• 1 month later...

Further to Doug's post, Ive ordered some stuff direct from Halling and found the site to be secure.....we get the padlock symbol and a https link. And they accepted a mastercard.

Admittedly i did have a problem with one order and a phone call sorted it (a nice lady speaks English).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

as a slight aside spotted this in a shop window in blackpool yesterday, 1:43 scale (o gauge?) blackpool tram model, didnt have a close look at it but it may be of some use to someone to bash into something more prototypical or have a go at motorising?

577FC040-8694-4A74-A829-AA5D41FD5589.jpg

it was priced at £18:99

• 7 months later...

I guess it is old stock. The shop was revamped last year. Not long before that I purchased one - I think around £125, plus staff discount as well, making it cheap - and they had quite a few left. All stock disappeared after the shop re-opened. I noticed that last week a cabinet had appeared upstairs with some of the old "missing" stock - other trains, not the tram - so maybe they are dusting out the cupboard.

The one I purchased was a motorised one, and I believe it was stated to be the last run ever in Blackpool livery.

Stewart

Made mine an absolute bargain then! I can't remember the exact price, but I know I paid around £100 or perhaps just over. Always wanted one for my Blackpool collection, but vowed the "normal" price was way too high.

Before the shop revamp, they had quite a collection of rail models in the cabinet upstairs, in the corner by the stairs. Usually they had a price label of when they were delivered, at something like the then RRP. As some stayed on the shelves for ages, the RRP of newer items has risen. This made the shelf stock, in relative terms, cheaper. Sometimes they would have a sale, if there was something in there I liked, I asked the price. So (say) 20% off the label price was expected - often I found they were already reduced but not re-labelled, and the 20% was then taken off the reduced price! And then my staff discount of 10% often became a staff discount of 20%! I didn't ask!

Items I've picked up include the Blackpool tram, Bachmann SECR 01 (£35), Bachmann Director, AL5, and others. Hopefully the re-appearance of the cabinet will open up this treasure chest again.

Stewart

I guess it is old stock. The shop was revamped last year. Not long before that I purchased one - I think around £125, plus staff discount as well, making it cheap - and they had quite a few left. All stock disappeared after the shop re-opened. I noticed that last week a cabinet had appeared upstairs with some of the old "missing" stock - other trains, not the tram - so maybe they are dusting out the cupboard.

The one I purchased was a motorised one, and I believe it was stated to be the last run ever in Blackpool livery.

Stewart

The Halling website only shows 9 and 11, not 6, so it's quite safe to assume it's not 6 :no:  It also shows limited availability for both. And yes, the 160 quid price is indeed the static version, the powered version is over 200 euro, so expect to pay that amount in Sterling.

Made mine an absolute bargain then! I can't remember the exact price, but I know I paid around £100 or perhaps just over. Always wanted one for my Blackpool collection, but vowed the "normal" price was way too high.

Before the shop revamp, they had quite a collection of rail models in the cabinet upstairs, in the corner by the stairs. Usually they had a price label of when they were delivered, at something like the then RRP. As some stayed on the shelves for ages, the RRP of newer items has risen. This made the shelf stock, in relative terms, cheaper. Sometimes they would have a sale, if there was something in there I liked, I asked the price. So (say) 20% off the label price was expected - often I found they were already reduced but not re-labelled, and the 20% was then taken off the reduced price! And then my staff discount of 10% often became a staff discount of 20%! I didn't ask!

Items I've picked up include the Blackpool tram, Bachmann SECR 01 (£35), Bachmann Director, AL5, and others. Hopefully the re-appearance of the cabinet will open up this treasure chest again.

Stewart

Thanks both for putting some meat on the bones - I picked up a No 6 quite a while ago boxed in mint condition but with broken link pins between units and central drive section. This has been repaired back to as new condition and the unit runs very well. I think I might ask someone at LTM for more details when I get a chance next week.

Martin.

Incredibly, there's one on the windowsill opposite my desk at work.  I had no idea of its provenance, as it belongs to an esteemed colleague, but now I know very well what it is!!!

Stewart

Interestingly this shop still lists the trams - showing No's 016 and 019 but at quite a price when you add in the postage as well.

Makes your purchase look even more of a bargain Stewart!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAM-BOMBARDIER-FLEXITY-2-Tramway-Blackpool-BTS-1-87-HO-LH-MDL-/171344149686?var=&hash=item6dc2205292

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly this shop still lists the trams - showing No's 016 and 019 but at quite a price when you add in the postage as well.

Makes your purchase look even more of a bargain Stewart!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAM-BOMBARDIER-FLEXITY-2-Tramway-Blackpool-BTS-1-87-HO-LH-MDL-/171344149686?var=&hash=item6dc2205292

Number 016 has been recorded before, but 019 is a new number, so I'm inclined to guess this batch at 911 Models (the eBay link) is a reissue.

I saw one of these trams a while ago, when they were all "sold out" so I'm grateful for this topic, and I've ordered up a powered 016.

- Richard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My model supplied by 911 Models carries running number 009. This number is recorded before, but the packaging looks fresh and clean so I reckon this is a reissue, not old stock.

The model seems pretty fabulous, with the motor mounted vertically but concealed inside one of the articulated joints, power to the centre bogie. Performance is dramatically better than the Bachmann S stock, the only low-floor 4mm model I can think of for comparison and as it happens the only model I have ever sent back for refund as "not completely satisfied".

My layout is H0, but the Flexity is quite a large vehicle and I think it would look at home on many 00 layouts, especially on a dedicated tramway. It is the perfect passenger train for "Shelf Island" - short enough to fit, big enough to look viable, and fun to watch snaking its way out of the tunnel.

Curious, but the box does not carry the name Halling or of any other manufacturer.

The box carries the name of Halling, but this is hidden below a non-peelable label added by 911 Models.

- Richard.

Archived