Nice diagram - what did you use to produce that please?

I'm not familiar with any specific TVR practice, but if the engine release crossovers were GF worked then I don't believe the GWR would have provided shunt discs at them worked from the SB.

I can't quite fathom out your specific arrangements at 10 and 13, but I'm sure it's not quite right :-) I would suggest that relying on the slip alone to provide trapping of the engine spur would be insufficient, as the switch blades of the slip would be too close to the fouling points of the main line, so I would suggest a separate trap (or scotch block) would be needed between 9 and 10/13. And as 9 reads to 3 routes, I suspect that more than one disc would be provide there. And if you going to have a disc at 20, then I suspect that 23 should be a double-disc.

Cue Stationmaster ? :-)

I'm not familiar with any specific TVR practice, but if the engine release crossovers were GF worked then I don't believe the GWR would have provided shunt discs at them worked from the SB.

I can't quite fathom out your specific arrangements at 10 and 13, but I'm sure it's not quite right :-) I would suggest that relying on the slip alone to provide trapping of the engine spur would be insufficient, as the switch blades of the slip would be too close to the fouling points of the main line, so I would suggest a separate trap (or scotch block) would be needed between 9 and 10/13. And as 9 reads to 3 routes, I suspect that more than one disc would be provide there. And if you going to have a disc at 20, then I suspect that 23 should be a double-disc.

Ah, some good comments, Chris, thanks. I drew it on paint.net.

Firstly, a good point about the engine release crossovers having a shunt disc. If I can save a couple of signals that will be all to the good! The lever frame is on one board and the crossovers are on another, so any less connections will be welcomed. Also, and this is not an excuse for getting it wrong, I have built a 28 lever frame and it would be a headache to have to increase the number of levers....

The real oh dammit moment came yesterday when I realised that it would have been more than likely to install catch points in front of the advanced starter because of the 1:50 gradient in the section in advance. I considered though that points 7 would trap anything on Goods Loop North and diverting the slips at 10 and 13 to be normally set to the engine road would trap runaways from the platforms and Goods Loop South. I hadn't considered a runaway FROM the engine spur, and a scotch would seem to be ideal. Certainly there would be no room for a trap.

Not having worked on the WR (I spent my time on the SR, leaving just under 40 years ago, so the memory fades!), I recalled that one disc would cover several routes, but maybe I'm wrong on this, even on the Southern. I'm pleased to be guided by WR experts...

Re 23, my understanding is that in the On position, this permits shunting from Goods Loop South to the NCB sidings and colliery, and in the Off position clears for the main line to the advanced starter and the engine spur. However, on the basis that the WR would use a separate shunt signal for each route, then a second disc for the engine spur would make sense.

Thanks for the input..

TH

On the whole I would agree. The loco shed road ought to be provided with a trap point of its own as what is effectively a trap in a running line is not exactly desirable.

The locking table would also make more sense if the state of the locking conditions was given. Points are either Normal or Reverse, and normally shown in their Normal position on the diagram.

Jim

On the whole I would agree. The loco shed road ought to be provided with a trap point of its own as what is effectively a trap in a running line is not exactly desirable.

The locking table would also make more sense if the state of the locking conditions was given. Points are either Normal or Reverse, and normally shown in their Normal position on the diagram.

Jim

Thanks for that Jim. A couple of questions: on the engine road (it's actually just a spur rather than a shed), which way would the trap face, protecting a loco running out or a runaway running into the spur?

Re the locking table, easily updated... however, I based the diagram on a number of GWR diagrams that don't show the normal position (e.g. Worcester Goods) although the later ones, which I didn't like so much, do. I agree it is more logical and clearer to show the points in their normal position.

Tony

The real oh dammit moment came yesterday when I realised that it would have been more than likely to install catch points in front of the advanced starter because of the 1:50 gradient in the section in advance. I considered though that points 7 would trap anything on Goods Loop North and diverting the slips at 10 and 13 to be normally set to the engine road would trap runaways from the platforms and Goods Loop South.

I don't know if there was a policy on this, worked catch points out on the single line might be a bit remote from the box although if the 182 yards on your plan is correct it would be Ok. The trapping using 7 and 13 should be OK  as any moves to and from the Goods Loop North should be light engine or with the loco at the bottom end of the train.

I hadn't considered a runaway FROM the engine spur, and a scotch would seem to be ideal. Certainly there would be no room for a trap.

A scotch or derailer worked from the box would be Ok, or a single blade trap if you can squeeze one in.

Not having worked on the WR (I spent my time on the SR, leaving just under 40 years ago, so the memory fades!), I recalled that one disc would cover several routes, but maybe I'm wrong on this, even on the Southern. I'm pleased to be guided by WR experts...

I believe that the Western has used both versions at different times so you should be fine with single discs.

Re 23, my understanding is that in the On position, this permits shunting from Goods Loop South to the NCB sidings and colliery, and in the Off position clears for the main line to the advanced starter and the engine spur. However, on the basis that the WR would use a separate shunt signal for each route, then a second disc for the engine spur would make sense.

To function as you describe 23 would need to be a yellow disc, but then 20 would be a bit anomalous, could be replaced by a stop for instructions board, given that the sidings include a colliery line something is needed to stop locos just running out when 24 is reverse. The alternative is to allow both 20 and 23 to be cleared simultaneously for shunting with 24 N. Preferable to yellow discs and stop boards but not necessarily what would have been in the Welsh valleys.

Regards

on the engine road (it's actually just a spur rather than a shed), which way would the trap face, protecting a loco running out or a runaway running into the spur?

Its needed because the lines into P1 and P2 are passenger lines and a trap to protect them from sidings is mandatory, hence it would be to stop anything running out of the spur.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apart from Chris' comments above I think the first thing you need to do is expend your back history a bit as that could have a considerable impact on the appearance of your signals as it depends when, and to what extent, the GWR replaced the TVR signals and, possibly, renewed the lever frame.

But first get the basics right as Chris has outlined above with a  separate trap point for the engine shed, most likely change to the more usual GWR way of arranging the working of the double slip switches (which could simplify the locking - we'll see on that one.  Next stage having expanded your back history is to get your signals right because there could be a number of changes need.

The immediate ones are of course, as Chris said, firstly the removal of the ground discs on the release crossovers, they're not needed on GF worked points.  Secondly is signal 23 which would not have been correct for a line where trains start away and while a variety of signal forms are possible (depending on when the signal was erected/renewed) it would almost inevitably have been some sort of splitting signal with one arm for a train departing and another arm, or a co-located ground disc for moves towards the engine spur.

20 is ok as it stands although if sighting was poor it could potentially have been a semaphore (goods ring on the arm or some earlier small arm signal) but if you do that it will also need something to read to the shed siding. 

It is possible that you might like to add a Shunt ahead subsidiary on No.6 but that depends entirely on traffic needs (or whether you fancy the look of one ;) ).

One you need to think very carefully about is the Inner Home Signal 2/3/4/5 as it looks pretty unusual for even the late 1950s.  I would think that No.5 is inevitably going to be a short semaphore arm as arriving freights etc are possibly going to run to the South Loop and there is equally nothing wrong in having a short semaphore arm reading to the other loop although in reality it is nothing more than a siding.  If ver you are looking at a late 1950s renewal of that signal a co-located ground disc might be used to read to the north loop although that's not a hard and fast rule.  What is unlikely for that period in that situation is elevated discs reading to the two loops.

The other oddball is the way you have drawn 16/17/18/19 where a bracket structure is going to be pretty unlikely - a couple of straight posts with an arm or elevated disc bracketed off to read to the shed is far more likely or even a couple of full bracket structures with a short arm to read to the shed.

The Western convention, which you might care to copy (the choice is yours)  for setting out the columns in a locking table was to arrange them like this (reading from the left across the page) -

Released By   Locks Normal   Locks Both Ways    Releases

There is of course no need to worry about 'Locks Reverse' as that is a backlock created through 'Released By'  e.g. if 7 releases 15 then 7 is automatically locked in reverse when lever 16 is pulled so there's no need to say that

Incidentally the GWR diagram style which you have rather beautifully copied does show the normal lie of points - look at the black bit drawn inside the point switch rails between the double lines on the coloured part.  And alas you do need to sort out the colours - passenger standard running lines were shown in grey, goods lines in the the 'sand' colour and sidings and siding connections in blue..

If you have a steep rising gradient in the section in advance of the Advanced Starter it will need a catch point however this would most likely be done by either providing a worked one - but as a spring slot (slotted joint) or by using No.7 to fulfill that function assuminga suitable run-off or sand drag could be provided (which might mean an additional point end either way of course.

If you want to save/re-use levers one helpful thing would be to make the release ground frames released by Annets Key Instruments instead of levers although that does mean you lose the potential locking on the release levers.   If you want to make 23 a yellow disc in order to avoid providing additional levers then it's perfectly ok to do so for Post 1950 WR although if that is going to be the case it would be more than likely that other alterations and renewals took place at the same time although all my previous comments about the form of signals will be unaltered with the possible exception that the platform starting signals were renewed as straight post signals with an elevated co-located disc to read to the engine siding.

As far as the locking is concerned I really would suggest that first you set out a new table along GWR lines.  Then reconsider the lie of points in the double slip if you are not going to split it into both levers working separate halves of the slip at both ends (i.e. same number of levers but they would work different parts of the slip).  Have you have it numbered at the moment 10 should lie from the single line towards Platform 1  (therefore it also lies normal from the engine siding towards Platform 1) while 13 should lie towards the single line  )not towards the siding) - thus 13 would then release 9, and 9 would lock 10 both ways plus 24 both ways with 10 reverse but it can simply lock 16/17/18/19 without bothering about any conditional situations and could lock 23 if it was a yellow disc.

3 would be Released By  8 & 11; 3 would Lock (normal) 6, 7, 10, 13 and 16 - with no need to lock anything else except 26; would lock nothing both ways and would release nothing - if you compare this with your original 3 is now released by two levers instead of 5 and it will lock six levers instead of the 11 you listed. plus the two you omitted from your list.   This will I hope help to show how sorting the lie of points can considerably simplify the interlocking and also how certain things can be omitted because they would be locked by points - for example 7 will lock 3,4,5, before we even consider signals reading in the opposite direction (where some conditional locking could creep in anyway if you use a yellow disc at 23.

Other locking can also be much simpler, for example 2 is indeed Released by 7 and 8 but need only lock 6, 15, & 26 instead of the  total of six levers which you listed - again omitting a couple it should lock.

You need also to thin very carefully about all opposing signals which need to be locked hence 1 must lock every signal which can read in the opposite direction towards it - which means 6, 15, 16, 19, and 23 (conditionally - hence the advantage of a separate signal for trains starting away from the south loop as that would avoid the conditional lock and have a simpler dead lock instead).

Even taking standard (G)WR acceptance conditions into account would not affect the locking as the two are not interlinked but it is worth considering the state of the frame in order in order to accept a train which would be 7 normal, 8 reverse, 10 normal or reverse, 11 reverse, 22 normal if 10 is standing reverse, and 22 reverse if 10 is reverse.   But no interlinking so if the levers aren't set like that there's nothing to prevent a train being accepted.

Hope that helps a bit. 

Edit to alter some punctuation (and hopefully clarify a sentence!) and add correction re 'box diagram track colouring.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the diagram, without anything specific about the signals or points, the first thing that strikes me is that the numbering is not logical and certainly not how it would be arranged in real life. The most common convention would be to have points grouped mainly in the middle of the frame with the shunt moves to each side of them and running moves at the outer ends, Up direction at one end and Down direction at the other. 

Regarding the locking table, Stationmaster's headings are those most often used. Don't forget that there would be a fairly small amount of signal-to-signal locking as when a signal is released by points then anything which locks those points normal will inherently lock something requiring them reverse.

As an oldie, returning to rail modelling, I am very grateful that so many folk have given up their precious modelling time, to post their knowledge in RMweb forums.

I have only just found this brilliant topic, started by dantimmy. All of the posts in “GWR Signals and where they go?” are informative:-

•  Modellers seeking wisdom and;
  • Those imparting it and;
  • The stationmaster particularly, deserves a medal.

Again, many thanks to all.

I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Edited by Les le Breton
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,,,,I have just found this topic and will digest its information and follow it as it updates,,,,,I too am stumbling back through the world of modelling probably doing most things in a unplanned way really but enjoying the journey back into this hobby....if anyone wishes to look at my thread the link is at the base here (Cambrian Street)...currently beginning the wiring process but will need help with signalling, the track plan has altered slightly to that shown and will update it when all the wiring is complete and look at the signalling requirements...any help with this gratefully received....

Cheers guys for a wonderful thread here....

Regards as always

Bob

• Like 2

Mike has alluded to the question of period with TVR signals but of course the GWR did inherit some,which whilst to some extent they were Swindonised to a greater or lesser extent were of course of somersault design! Not the easiest things to model even for those who have.

• RMweb Gold

Mike has alluded to the question of period with TVR signals but of course the GWR did inherit some,which whilst to some extent they were Swindonised to a greater or lesser extent were of course of somersault design! Not the easiest things to model even for those who have.

Some TVR signals were indeed Westernised (but very definitely not Swindonised :O  - GWR signals came from Reading where they were both designed and manufactured with a few bought in items such as enamelled signal arms ;) ).   Some TVR signals definitely survived unaltered well into the 1950s - possibly even a bit later - and a number of gantry structures (but not the dolls and arms etc) lasted for quite a long time as well and of course full gantries often featured in TVR signalling although not at small termini.

I hesitated to say Westernised as that implies BR(W) and I wasn't sure that some would understand the link between Reading and GWR signals, a fact I am of course well aware of,as my well used  copy of  Adrian Vaughans book will testify. As a matter of interest there is a photo of a canibalised Rhymney Railway signal in the book. Sommersault arms, original ladder and platform with GWR Timber post and finial.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 1

Sorry to be so long replying to recent replies since the beginning of the month. I've been updating the diagram and locking table to conform to the recommendation, for which much thanks. Most time has been taken in adding a double bladed trap point to platform 1 exit, and the single bladed trap to the engine road. I've also been going along the tracks in turn starting at the buffer stops and adding fishplates and tie bars where required, I have defied convention by adding the second tie bar 5' from the actuating tie bar rather than the conventional 2'6" because I have found in P4 that this give a more reliable actuation of the switch.

I'll finish off the diagram and locking table shortly and post them here again for further comment, if you'd be so kind.

Best regards

Tony Hagon

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to everyone who has offered help with my Penhafod signalling layout, particularly Keith and The Statonmaster for their detailed replies. In the hope that I am not wearing out my welcome, I have got to a dead stop with the layout without eliciting more help from the experts, if you please. I can't add the stretcher bars to the turnouts until I have finalised the rodding runs diagram (of which more anon) and I can't finish that without finalising the signalling diagram. So, following the kind advice that you have offered, I have redrawn the layout with revised lever allocations as follows:

The pdf document has the pulling sequence table and locking table as best as I can do it, and they are probably full of errors, for which your corrections will be much appreciated!

Best regards

Tony Hagon

Edited by NorthHighlander

• RMweb Gold

Just a few quickies Tony -

1.  The GWR did not use yellow arm shunt discs so 24 needs to be altered to a red arm disc or semaphore arm (with a ring on it as is also required on 27).

2.  The trap numbered 19 is not required.

3 There's still no catch point in advance  of signal 28 or provided by any other means but you can of course dispense with it by some alterations to your back story ;)

The lie of the switches in the double slip with the trap added in the engine spur looks perfectly ok considering you'll be working both switches at each end off the same lever as does the lie of all the other switches.

The Advanced Starting Signal, 28, would - I still feel - benefit from the addition of a Shunt Ahead arm although it is not essential.

Your 'pulling sequences' don't actually comply with what the Block Regulations, and probably the Signalbox Special Instructions ('Footnotes' in GWR terminology) would require e.g. Main to Goods Loop North would probably be as follows -

In the real world the Footnotes would require 10 and 11 reverse in order to accept a train destined for that loop.  Signal 1 would be cleared when the train is considered to be approaching it and signal 2 would not be lowered until the train is approaching it and has been seen to slow ready to stop at the signal.  Similarly fora train for the other goods loop.

In the real world Signal 1 would only be cleared on accepting a train if that train is running to either of the platforms and 3 or 4 can also be lowered.

Just a few quickies Tony -

1.  The GWR did not use yellow arm shunt discs so 24 needs to be altered to a red arm disc or semaphore arm (with a ring on it as is also required on 27).

2.  The trap numbered 19 is not required.

3 There's still no catch point in advance  of signal 28 or provided by any other means but you can of course dispense with it by some alterations to your back story ;)

The lie of the switches in the double slip with the trap added in the engine spur looks perfectly ok considering you'll be working both switches at each end off the same lever as does the lie of all the other switches.

The Advanced Starting Signal, 28, would - I still feel - benefit from the addition of a Shunt Ahead arm although it is not essential.

Your 'pulling sequences' don't actually comply with what the Block Regulations, and probably the Signalbox Special Instructions ('Footnotes' in GWR terminology) would require e.g. Main to Goods Loop North would probably be as follows -

In the real world the Footnotes would require 10 and 11 reverse in order to accept a train destined for that loop.  Signal 1 would be cleared when the train is considered to be approaching it and signal 2 would not be lowered until the train is approaching it and has been seen to slow ready to stop at the signal.  Similarly fora train for the other goods loop.

In the real world Signal 1 would only be cleared on accepting a train if that train is running to either of the platforms and 3 or 4 can also be lowered.

Many thanks, The SM....! I've made a first stab at the rodding run and to simplify the run, I have swapped over 17/18 with 19/20 and reversed the latter (i.e. 20 now becomes the crossover and 19 the point lock). I'll update the diagrams shortly. This change prevents any rods crossing over, but there is a doh! moment because you've recommended losing traps (what was) 19 ....... and I've just finished installing them..... :cry: I suppose I can always clip and padlock them! 

I think the 'back story' on 28 (the advanced starter) is that because it is tight up against the tunnel mouth the catch points are the other end of the tunnel.... I don't have a convenient lever to be able to operate them unless I reorganise everything to accommodate spare lever 6 as the unconnected lever to the catch points. OTOH it will give me an excuse to use the Catch Points sign I have created for the O gauge layout...

Let me understand the pull sequence then..... the outer home (1) is only pulled on Trehafod acking 'Is Line Clear?' if running a passenger train into plats 1/2 with either 3 or 4 able to be cleared otherwise only pull the outer home after Train in Section has been given? (1, although at the other end of the tunnel, is actually a real signal at the fiddle yard to let the driver know he can leave for the scenic section of the layout - on Penhafod, the signalman, fiddle yard operator and train driver(s) are separate people so signals HAVE to be obeyed!

Anyway, many thanks for your help..

Best regards

Tony Hagon

• RMweb Gold

A simple answer for the catch pint at the bottom of the bank would be to make No.10 the slotted joint catch point with it altered to lie normal towards the north loop but it depends what is in and around that loop of course although it is at east clear of the rest of the track layout.  But that would also require a separate number for the trap in the north loop as it would have to retain its present - as drawn - normal lie.

I'm really grateful to Keith and the Stationmaster for the time they are taking to help me on this project. Their experience is so valuable. I don't know whether I have ever met the Stationmaster at exhibitions, but I've known Keith from many years from our Protofour Society days and we meet occasionally at Scaleforum, which is where, in 2018, not this year, we hope to be showing Penhafod, so I hope that we can demonstrate the fruits of both of your labours to advantage. Given that there are many errors on the actual trackwork, remember this was first laid in 1978 when I had far less understanding of track technology, let alone signalling technology, I will try to get what goes on from now onwards right!

Some topics to answer arising from both your inputs over the weekend:

1. To clarify, Penhafod is at the TOP of the hill, on a 1:50 gradient up from Trehafod North Jct.. I should update the image, because that is now checked all the way up to no 10 points north just under the bridge.

2. I can just as easily remove the newly installed trap points nos 19 and FPL 20 and this will throw up two levers for the catch point protecting the gradient.

3. I agree with Keith that installing the catch point in advance of the Advanced Starter (lever 28) would protect the gradient from shunting runaways. However, the top of the gradient is on a tight and checked curve before levelling out under the Cefncoed Road bridge. Could the catch point therefore be a single blade?

Here's the opposite view into the tunnel, with signal 28 (advanced starter) positioned for location (notice Trehafod North Jct's fixed distant below it).post-14375-0-70190400-1497262116_thumb.jpg The tunnel of course will, eventually, show the stygian gloom of a TVR orifice...!

I haven't had a chance to look at Keith's detailed document on scalefour.org but I'll look at it later today.

Once again, many thanks for your help

Best regards

Tony Hagon

post-14375-0-03844700-1497262211_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

To the Stationmaster and all who have contributed,

This has been a great thread - I've learned quite alot.  To be honest, I have sometimes had to re-read several posts a couple of times to fully understand, but I'll get there.  I also want to say that this was a very enjoyable thread to read.  Even when there were disagreements, the conversation stayed extremely civil in nature.  This is the way forum threads are supposed to work.  I look forward to learning more about signaling.  Thanks!

Dave

I would echo the sentiments of previous posters. The Station Master has given his time and patience in spades on this and several other layout plans, including my Stourhampton permanent layout, double track, two boxes portrayed, level crossing, loops, bay, sidings the works.

Many thanks indeed.

Did the book ever materialise?

Edited by 28XX

• RMweb Gold

I would echo the sentiments of previous posters. The Station Master has given his time and patience in spades on this and several other layout plans, including my Stourhampton permanent layout, double track, two boxes portrayed, level crossing, loops, bay, sidings the works.

Many thanks indeed.

Did the book ever materialise?

The book still sits in type printed form with the discs it was on no longer available so it's re-write off the printed word = lots of work (100,000 words!).

Plus it would in any case need to incorporate everything (no - not all of it) I have learnt since I first wrote it.  With a subject like signalling getting hold of the basics is one, very important, thing but you can find yourself forever learning as you continue looking, even photos reveal fascinating things such as the exceedingly rarer GWR Backing Distant Signals, so rare there appear to have only been no more than two or three of them on the entire GWR network - unless, as usual, someone knows different.

Now the runaway catchpoint at Penhafod  (and I've now got the gradient the right way round thanks Tony).  So yes it has to be in advance of the Advanced Starter, No.28, and in view of what we are looking at I think it has to be double tongue and have an FPL but what I would suggest is basically the arrangement which existed at Abercynon only the other way round (at Abercynon the gradient fell, from the Merthyr direction, towards the station and after the line was singled a worked catch point became essential).  The handy thing about it from a modelling viewpoint, as far as I can recall, is that it did not have a crossing - the two switch rails ran into separate sand drags one of which was in the four foot and they went on for several hundred yards in its single line days.

The tunnel complicates the issue but equally I think doing the catch the way I have suggested might help as it could effectively be assumed to extend into the tunnel and you would not be diverting any potential runaways into the tunnel walls but merely into the long sand drag.  the gradient will of course impose shunting restrictions but fortunately the right way round as you would only be permitted to shunt anything at all with the engine on the lower end with suitable caveats about adequate brake power etc.  Most interesting will be its impact on the locking which oddly might result in some signals having to be passed at danger for some shunting movements if standard GWR locking rules are applied because signals 25, 26, and 27 should only be free if the catch point is closed and bolted by the FPL .

• RMweb Gold

The book still sits in type printed form with the discs it was on no longer available so it's re-write off the printed word = lots of work (100,000 words!).

This may not be the time or place BUT if that is the only problem then it is easily resolvable. 

1) take several photocopies for security - please put one copy in a fire safe it is a MOST PRECIOUS object and I am not bullshitting or fawning.  It is irreplaceable.

2) get the document scanned into text format - easily done by a good amateur or a professional service. It can be put into a format that you can easily work with very quickly.

3) tidy it up ONCE and then set about getting it published.  Face the fact that it can/will never be finished.  You will always find something, remember something else or learn about a new aspect.  Get issue 1 out and then worry about errata, revisions, extensions, volume 2 etc etc.

4) You CAN self publish and put it on the Internet - others will be better able to advise on that.

PLEASE, please don't leave it lying there.  I had to drag my father-in-law's memoirs off him and do something similar, but it was sadly too late for revisions then.

• Agree 1